Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you trust a dentist???

Options
  • 27-07-2010 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ok so I need a little help....

A bit of background first.....I have real good teeth I’m 26 and never had any issues with them at all!!! No fillings nothing!

My wisdom tooth is coming down and I wanted to have it checked for peace of mind, it has broken the gum and doesn’t cause me problems.

So I went to the Dentist....he said do nothing with the wisdom teeth unless they become an issue but they look ok!!
    However he thinks I should have 5 fillings ...I’m shocked by this because I have no problems with my teeth.
    On one tooth he said he could visibly see the decay and fair enough one seems reasonable at 26 years old. But I’m struggling to believe that I need 4 more. He did a whole mouth x-ray and showed me I could see something on the one tooth but the others had nothing I could see....I know I’m not an expert!!!

So my questions are

1. At what point is a filling required? Is it better to take a piece of tooth while the area is still small?
    2. Am I entitled to ask for a copy of my x-ray and have someone else look at it?

Please help :) Can’t afford 5 fillings rite now!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

The best time to do fillings is when the cavities are very small. That would be before they hurt and before the patient is aware of their existence.

There is nothing wrong with seeking a second opinion (and your dentist won't be offended by that) but it doesn't follow that the second opinion is better than the first. If both opinions differ you would probably need a third.

Remember what Obama said.... "Spread the wealth" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

The sooner you get a filling done the better as it will be smaller and easier to manage for all concerned.

Very often tooth decay is not visible in the mouth and only appears on xrays, this is why a thorough dental check up should involve periodic xrays. You can have a cavity and have no pain.

If you are unhappy with this dentist get another opinion and they will give you the xray if you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

stalk one for a few days, then kidnap a member of the family. take photos of said member blindfolded and tied up. bring them in to the dentist while remarking on his/her crappy choice of tea. that'll get the dentist's attention, and probably won't do anything dodgy. not that they would anyway.

Advertisement