Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly invasion

Options
  • 27-07-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I am in an apartment in Ennis for the last 4 months. There were always one or two flies in the house when I opened the balcony. Before there were mainly big black flies but recently it has been small brown flies (kind of look like fruit flies). Yesterday my girlfriend was cleaning and she opened all the windows, etc and in the evening there were hundreds of little flies over all the windows in the house. Any ideas of what they could be? It seems strange that they appeared so suddenly.

We sprayed repellent last night and loads of them collapsed on the floor and then we sucked them up the vacuum cleaner :) but we had to repeat this today. Don't know if they are breeding or we just didnt get them all the first time. Whats the best way to get rid of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

big black flies........ is there anything dead nearby may be a source of the flies.

close the windows and stick up fly paper will clear out the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The small ones are probably thrips. It's the time of year for them and if you have any fruit or vegetables in the house in open bowls they attract them. I don't know of any way of keeping them out since they can get through even the smallest gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mark23

after further investigation, i think they are fruit flies .. my girlfriend and i reckon we have killed about 400 in 24 hours!! we have put up some fly paper and it has done nothing but a bowl of balsamic vinegar has attracted some .. there isnt too many left so we will leave the vinegar overnight and see what happens .. what I dont get is where they have come from???? there is no fruit or veg out in a bowl .. everything is in the fridge or tupperware .. the only two plants we had were a sage and basil plant which we threw out to be sure ..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mark23

i seem to have got rid of them .. i sprayed all of them with normal insect spray, left a trap with balsamic vinegar and made sure not to leave food out ..now there is not a fly remaining! yay .. i counted about 500 dead ones in total

Advertisement