Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Fees 1992 to Today

• 27-07-2010 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I mentioned this table in the City thread but thought I'd show it to a wider audience. This table shows the total fees paid by Premier League clubs since the end of the old First Division in 1992.

The fees paid by Spurs and Liverpool are pretty shocking considering the lack of trophies. Liverpool are only a few hundred thousand behind United in fees paid. Then the net transfer fees are interesting too, Aston Villa ahead of United. And Arsenal in 12th place! Plus City are already top of the net spend table.

Shows that there is more to success than simply money. It is a help of course, but good management and buying the right players and the right time is a fine art.

No idea how to format the table so that it does not appear like a jumbled mess so here is the link. If anybody does know, feel free to stick it up!

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/index.php/Single-League-Tables/the-transfer-league-1.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Saw them mentioning something similar on Sky Sports News earlier, basically after talking about the amount of money Man City have spent.

Arsenal in 12th just shows how good a manager Wenger is, i know some fans get a bit pissed when he doesn't splash the cash that the board say is there, but i respect him so much for the way he does things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Meh, too many variables not being taken into account. I'd like to see a table showing the percentage of total spend on a year-by-year basis adjusted for inflation. Also, how are they valuing 'undisclosed' fees?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

5lx9wp.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Surprised at the Leeds United figures, net spend of £233,421 per season. Wonder how much it would have been per season up until say 5 seasons ago. I know the root of their problems was not entirely their spending on players transfers only (e.g. Ribsdales famous fish tank in his office supposidly cost £200K a year & £600k a year fleet of company cars are just two things that stuck with me) but the club were supposed to be £100M in debt at the height of the their troubles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Surprised at the Leeds United figures, net spend of £233,421 per season. Wonder how much it would have been per season up until say 5 seasons ago. I know the root of their problems was not entirely their spending on players transfers only (e.g. Ribsdales famous fish tank in his office supposidly cost £200K a year & £600k a year fleet of company cars are just two things that stuck with me) but the club were supposed to be £100M in debt at the height of the their troubles.

Figures seem wrong to me. If you go to the website and click on spending between 2003-2010 it says that we only spent £2.1m. That is way off the mark!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Figures seem wrong to me. If you go to the website and click on spending between 2003-2010 it says that we only spent £2.1m. That is way off the mark!!

Leeds spent a lot of those seasons outside the Premiership so those figures are not included as this is Premier League figures only.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leeds spent a lot of those seasons outside the Premiership so those figures are not included as this is Premier League figures only.

That's what I thought but when I clicked on the 2006-2010 table it says that we spent £5.1m which doesn't make sense since it's less than the 2003-2010 figure.

Also we got relegated in 2004 so if it was just money spent in the Premiership than the 2006-2010 figure should be zero.

It's all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Figures can't be right because United only won the league so much because they outspent everyone, everybody knows that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It was a long time ago when boards.ie produced that. It's been pretty distorted since then imo.

PHB wrote: »
    It was a long time ago when boards.ie produced that. It's been pretty distorted since then imo.

When boards produced what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Liam O wrote: »
    Figures can't be right because United only won the league so much because they outspent everyone, everybody knows that ;)

Note also the lack of Liverpool supporters comments here..strange that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

TonyD79 wrote: »

Why? What comments are you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TonyD79 wrote: »

You may not have noticed but LFC supporters were more concerned with Masch officially looking to leave, Torres staying, new signings at Anfield press conference and of course NET SPEND! (thankfully only briefly mentioned and not on this thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If that were the case Wolves would not be anywhere near that list! 85,000,000 spend! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

spurs have just 2 league cups to show for roughly £400m spent

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

When boards produced what?
    I made the original spreadsheet which forms the basis of that website. The Muppet posted it on a Man United forum and it grew wings from there.

• Kess73 wrote: »
    Why? What comments are you expecting?

Something along the lines of

"wah wah wah"
    :p

I made the original spreadsheet which forms the basis of that website. The Muppet posted it on a Man United forum and it grew wings from there.

Oh right! I was lost for a second there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just goes to show how unsustainable the Premier League is, in terms of spending.

Advertisement