Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Hard drive data back ups

• 27-07-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, my dad just bought a new machine i built for him, but he's got like 8 HDD's lying around with old photo's and things he wants to back up, couple sata drives and some IDE's (the one's with the strip cables)
    But anyway, he wants to back them up onto one of his 1tb drivers, but is having trouble accessing them.

What's the best way to get the info off the drives? He's running windows 7 and is failing pretty hard cause he's trying to reinstall XP or Vista onto each drive to get the info off.

I know nothing of linux, but would that help in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

He needs one of these ...

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/07_OPTICAL/01_ACCESS/productdetails/15446508/Conceptronic_CSATAI23U_Serial_ATA__IDE_to_USB/CSATAI23U/default.aspx

... unless of course he's already ruined his chances by trying to install XP on them first ... what possessed him to try that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF HE made a live cd ,ie linux mint he could use that as a botable disk.download mint iso,use imgburn to burn image to cd ,he could boot off the livecd.have one drive plugged into the pc as a slave drive,copy the data to drive c:\ the win7 drive.
    USE burn image command,browse to mint.iso ,linuxfile.iso ,burn image to a cdr.
    SET in bios menu,boot options, boot cd=0,cd =first boot device.
    see here http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    download livecd 32bit. it,ll be called mintlinux, iso something like that.
    so in the pc he,d have the existing c:\ win7 drive, an old ide drive,striped cable, an old sata drive, and one by one he,d copy data off each drive to c;\ or to an external usb drive connected to the pc.BY booting from a livecd,he could disconnect drive c, win 7 and just plug in old hds, and copy to a usb drive.ALDI HAVE usb drives in stock, i think they are around 350 gig in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ricman wrote: »
    IF HE made a live cd ,ie linux mint he could use that as a botable disk.download mint iso,use imgburn to burn image to cd ,he could boot off the livecd.have one drive plugged into the pc as a slave drive,copy the data to drive c:\ the win7 drive.
    USE burn image command,browse to mint.iso ,linuxfile.iso ,burn image to a cdr.
    SET in bios menu,boot options, boot cd=0,cd =first boot device.
    see here http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    download livecd 32bit. it,ll be called mintlinux, iso something like that.
    so in the pc he,d have the existing c:\ win7 drive, an old ide drive,striped cable, an old sata drive, and one by one he,d copy data off each drive to c;\ or to an external usb drive connected to the pc.BY booting from a livecd,he could disconnect drive c, win 7 and just plug in old hds, and copy to a usb drive.ALDI HAVE usb drives in stock, i think they are around 350 gig in size.
    He could, but why bother ?

Just either connect the old drives one by one into the case, or (less hassle) get a USB adapter like the one I linked to, and just copy the data he needs over to the appropriate places on his Win7 C: drive or onto another external USB disk. No need for booting into Linux live CD's or any of that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If he's not in a major rush this one is cheaper. Will take about 2 weeks to get here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Alun wrote: »
    He could, but why bother ?

Just either connect the old drives one by one into the case, or (less hassle) get a USB adapter like the one I linked to, and just copy the data he needs over to the appropriate places on his Win7 C: drive or onto another external USB disk. No need for booting into Linux live CD's or any of that stuff.

I'll tell him to give this a go, hope he doesn't balls it up before then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement