Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Manky Foods Thread [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'm very fussy about food, so although I've had all sorts of weird food opportunities (e.g. live octopus in Korea, live carp in Japan, roasted spiders in Cambodia), the nastiest thing I've actually eaten was nattō (Japanese fermented soy beans) which didn't taste that bad - the worst thing about it is the smell (like manky socks).

Beware anything that's called a 'delicacy' - that's a word meaning "let's find out what we can get the silly foreigner to eat".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

not a big fan of pigs trotters

also raw monkey brain :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Well I don't consider these disgusting but someone might. Let me know which one turns your stomach

1. Live octopus
    2. Dog stew & dog ribs
    3. boiled silkworms
    4. pigs feet
    5. chickens feet
    6. Rotten fish (I don't know how to explain it, it smells like ammonia. Think its some type of skate fish or something. Doesn't taste geat to be honest)
    7. kimchi (delicious. Its basically fermented cabbage)
    8. Don't know the name but little snail type things that live in small shallow rivers

Heres a pic of the silkworms.

800px-Silkworm_snack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Number 6 is Skata, concidentally also an Icelandic delicacy, however I thought it was tasty.
    I have not tried the Norwegian Lutefisk, yet, Cod that has been soaked in lye and has a gelatinous texture, sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Quality wrote: »
    Oysters.. I was gagging for ages... YUCK!!

Seconded........ but I also lol'd :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Quality wrote: »
    Oysters, they go down like big salty snots.. I was gagging for ages... YUCK!!

mmmm, love those slippery feckers!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Beetroot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have had duck's head, chicken feet, and whale steaks.
    All delicious!

Brussels Sprouts on the other hand....... The devil's testicles..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jota

most of the things listed here are lovely! cottage cheese, tomatoes, olives, calamari,... yum!

This on the other hand...
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    Pickled ox tongue in aspic jelly, topped off with a slice of hard-boiled egg.
    sounds vile. aspic jelly?? why oh why oh why?

i´ve eaten some weird stuff while travelline but the most disgusting thing ive had was probably brains. they look and taste exactly like you´d imagine...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

tofu and goats cheese..YUK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cucumber.

Mushy Peas.

Rice Pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

I would consider myself a good eater. I will eat almost anything put in front of me like kangaroo, crocodile, boar, horse etc. I am willing to try everything once and normally enjoy everything but broccoli and spinach just turn my stomach and I can’t even smell them without feeling sick. I have no idea why I hate them so much and I dislike the fact that I hate them as I know they are so good for me.

So what foods can you just not stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

great idea for a thread!

I just can't go near cheese! The smell, look of it, taste of it. I can barely touch it if I'm making a sambo for someone else.

EW!

I go to Domino's and ask for pizza minus cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Tomatoes!
    I used Tomatoes in cooking, like a tin or whatever, I'll use tomato based products like Puree etc, but I can not go near a raw tomato. Like on a burger, sandwich or anything. I hate the look of them, the smell of them, texture... everything. They actually induce gag reflex if they go near me,

Cabbage is another food I dislike and can't eat, unless it's 50% salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Lamb/ mutton... blearrrrrrrrrgh

The way it smells, the way it looks, ***RETCH***

And any Quorn products, they give me violent vomiting and diarrhoea!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cheese,when I was a kid I was looked after by a child minder and her rule was that I wasnt allowed out to play until I finished a disgusting,slimy sliced cheese and butter sandwich!

Also Ketchup,Brown Sauce and Vinegar(cant stand the smell of them)

Oh and Pot Noodle's(got terribly sick one nite after eating some,and the taste of them coming back up has put me off for life!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Marmite/ Bovril I can never get my taste buds around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭nhg

Turnips... even typing the word I can smell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

smoked fish, awefull stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

I eat most normal fare, but Pineapple or Mushrooms? Dear Lord no.

• Advertisement

Mushrooms. Nearly threw up after smelling mushroom soup once.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

Lamb smells disgusting!! I have to leave the house if someone is cooking it, plus the feel of it in your mouth is just horrible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Anything that's in any way rubbery or slimey, like oysters, or mushrooms :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

egg based sauces- bernaise, hollandaise, custard, any of that stuff. Runny Scrambled eggs also (egg juice!) Eggs Benedict (egg on egg) is a particular nightmare. I quite like eggs though, and mayo, it's just completely irrational. Took me a while to get myself back onto eating eggs after nearly getting sick seeing 2 crows fighting over a fried egg when I was little, just turned my stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Anything that's in any way rubbery or slimey, like oysters, or mushrooms :(

Two things I was just about to put up. God I can't understand how anyone can like mushrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tomatoes!
    I used Tomatoes in cooking, like a tin or whatever, I'll use tomato based products like Puree etc, but I can not go near a raw tomato. Like on a burger, sandwich or anything. I hate the look of them, the smell of them, texture... everything. They actually induce gag reflex if they go near me,
    Yeah, I am the same with peppers and onions. No problem if they are diced up rrreeeaaalllllyyy finely or ground into a sauce, but the full things give me the same gag reflex. Almost like my throat closes up when I try to swallow them, absolutely rank!

I am not a big fan of raw tomato either, unless they are VERY ripe and crunchy (e.g. no give, they would burst if you tried to squeeze them), but you should try cherry tomato (again, only ripe and crunchy). You will never see them sliced open (so no smell) and if you get them small and ripe enough, they are basically like slightly larger berries. They just explode in your mouth and the flavour flies everywhere, great in rolls or salads. I think 'piccolini' are the smallest ones you can find easily in Ireland, worth a shot.

I can't get enough of mushrooms though, except they have to be cooked in butter or something similar. It's no wonder so many kids hate them when their parents insist on cooking them in vegtable oil... again, rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I hate meat, cherrys (though I love blackforest gateau), ouzo, fennel, blue cheese, really hot peppers, mushroom soup (though I love mushrooms) and non-decaff tea or coffee...have been told that I am a fussy eater...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Celery & cucumbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber#Taste
    There appears to be variability in the human olfactory response to cucumbers, with the majority of people reporting a mild, almost watery flavor or a light melon taste, while a small but vocal minority report a highly repugnant taste, some say almost perfume-like. The presence of the organic compound phenylthiocarbamide is believed to cause the bitter taste. Various practices have arisen with regard to how bitterness may be removed from cucumbers. Among these a very common practice popular in India includes slicing off the ends of a cucumber, sprinkling some salt, and rubbing the now-exposed ends of said cucumber with the sliced-off ends until it appears to froth. Another such urban legend states that one ought to peel a cucumber away from the end that was once attached to a vine, otherwise one risked spreading the bitterness throughout the cucumber.[2]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Nothing. There are foods I've eaten that I wasn't keen on but I can't think of any type of food that I would avoid like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I can't stand mayonnaise. Even the sight of it makes me feel sick. We bought a jar of it for a BBQ and then threw out what was left (most of the jar) so that it wouldn't be in the house. The whole jar went in the bin, no recycling involved. Terrible, I know. The only time I can have it is if it's in the tuna mayo mix in O' Briens, but I don't eat there much.

I hate undercooked eggs. I don't mind a soft yolk but runny egg white, or a runny omelette or runny scrambled eggs turn my stomach.

Oh and milk. Gross.

Advertisement