Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Manky Foods Thread [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

real butter
    cheese (except on certain pizzas...and if there is too much i end up taking lots off!)
    eggs
    milk (the thought of drinking it for a drink makes me sick, but i put a minimal amount on cereal, just to wet it!)
    broad beans
    baked beans
    gammon or any other rich meat derived from pigs
    beetroot
    gooseberries
    apple pie
    blackberries
    cream
    icing
    rich chocolate
    bananas
    peaches
    fruit cake
    olives
    onions
    peppers
    sultanas
    chives
    shallots

and more that I can't think of!

Funny thing is I never think of myself as a fussy eater because I eat most vegetables and I never feel restricted when it comes to finding something to eat!

I get that with the cheese. If I order a pizza, I always say "easy on the cheese" and ask them to add extra tomato sauce, think the cheese can sit in your stomach and be very sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

celery! just wrong and very similar to the equally bad corriander !! the same sickly metalic taste and smell.who invented them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Blue cheese. Jesus christ, just cannot stomach the stuff.

Scampi, prawns...hate the texture.

Celery.

Tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Looks like cucumber is the most hated so far. Nice one! You're right, rubadub, even if you remove slices of it from a sandwich or salad, its juice will have already contaminated everything around it with its pestilence. I can even smell them if someone sitting beside me has a salad that is heavy on the cucumber, or if someone is slicing/dicing one.

You're right, morcheen, describing coriander as "metallic". Could never quite place what it was! :D Funnily enough, though, I used to hate celery and coriander, but I don't mind them so much now. Must be a "hitting the thirties" thing.

I'm surprised that only two people have mentioned marzipan. That's something that I used to really dislike, but which has since been rehabilitated. Marzipan to most people (including to myself) is that vile, yellow gunk underneath the (almost equally horrible) icing of a traditional Christmas or wedding cake. However, real marzipan tastes completely different. Before Ryanair axed it from its schedule, we managed to get to go to Lübeck (literally "Marzipan City") in Germany for the Christmas Market last year. So I was just wondering if marzipan haters have ever tried the proper stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Have been put off Big macs for life after a horendous experience with one this eveing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Onions.
    I will actually gag if I come accross one in something I'm eating.
    You could probably sneak one by if it was well cooked (burnt to a crisp) on a pizza so it's probably moreso raw onions.

Parsnips
    Turnips

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Have been put off Big macs for life after a horendous experience with one this eveing

did you actually find some meat in there ?? :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

+1 for celery..

I love cucumber though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I can't eat mushrooms, its the texture of them in my mouth more so than the taste, if they are diced up fairly small i have no problem eating them, and i love mushroom soup(has to have loads of pepper in it though)

Prawns, can't stand 'em especially the tiny ones that you seem to only find in chinese food.

Never been a fan of boiled ham, or roast beef. And gravy just turns my stomach...uggghh the thoughts of it! My mother does this thing with home made rissoles where she lashes in a load of gravy into the pan and simmers them in it for ages, the end result being a gloopy slop on top of a nearly rubberised lump of meat....

....excuse me, i think i just vomited a little in my mouth :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hillbilly999

Seafood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Any sort of Pasta dish, cant stand the stuff, so plain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

All vegetables.
    Well except in a soup.
    I can't stand the feeling of them in my mouth. Ugh:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Warper wrote: »
    Any sort of Pasta dish, cant stand the stuff, so plain

pasta so bland.

not sure for me, I used to hate nearly everything, now love nearly everything..I guess lettuce, tomatoes, peppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Louise~ wrote: »
    My absolute worst is Cinnamon, it's pure concentrated evil...

I can taste when the smallest amounts are used, when people try to trick me it gets spat straight out!! They think I won't taste it or something...

Xmas is a tough time...

Cinnamon you say? I do like cinnamon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

baked beans , spagetti hoops etc- basically anything in a tin suspended in tomato juice/sauce- :eek:

also liquorice, mushrooms, raw tomatos, ambrosia creamed rice, srambled eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Marzipan. Yuck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Oh dear I wouldn't know where to begin.
    It really would be easier to say that the only vegetable I eat is potatoes. That's it. Have to ask for all food that I eat out to have no veg in it.
    Won't touch any of the following:

Onions
    Mushrooms (they make me gag at sight alone)
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Peppers
    Tomatoes (unless ketchup of pizza sauce)
    Lettuce
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Galric
    Beetroot (it tastes like actual dirt)
    Brussels sprouts
    Parsnip
    Turnip (gag)
    Sweetcorn
    All the rest of them

Fish unless it's in breadcrumbs or a salmon fillet
    Pork
    Lamb
    Turkey (all my family hate it, we get chicken for Christmas)
    Veal
    Duck
    Any "game" meat

Melons of any kind
    Blueberries
    Rhubarb
    Cherries
    Pears

ALL salad dressing type things

Mayonnaise is pure evil

Cheese except plain cheddar
    Yogurt

GHERKINS!!!! They always put the bloody things in McDonalds quarter pounders :confused: *shudders*

Yes I know I'm fussy and that's it's really unhealthy, but I have no problem with it. :D

EDIT:
    Jesus I forgot coffee and tea. Which is a massive problem for other Irish people, they really just don't get it. It's like stating that I like to kill puppies in my spare time with the reaction I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

You may be a supertaster!

(which sounds cool but actually probably sucks)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

''Cocolola'' Jeebers what the heck do you like to eat? Do you like alcohol? youd probably make a great monk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You like nothing. I used to be like you. Like everything now, took years of trying :)

• Advertisement

''Cocolola'' Jeebers what the heck do you like to eat? Do you like alcohol? youd probably make a great monk

Erm... :o actually no I don't drink either. Maybe once or twice a year if there's an occasion I might have a west coast cooler or two but ya I don't like things that taste like alcohol. :eek:

I'd better stop admitting stuff now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Looking through this thread, I dont htink theres one thing I wouldnt eat. Ive eaten octopus tenticles which was abit wierd with the sucky things on them. Only thing might be oysters, never had them but I reckon given the chance Id eat them.Milk from the plastic cartons, tastes different to the cardboard tetra pak carton. Not that I cant drink it, just doesnt taste the same.

Also, for the mushroom soup haters, imagine being covered in the mushroom flavour powder that makes it. Horrible experince, pretty horrible smell/ taste around the place after that accident. But that was the concentrated flavour, id still eat the soup no problem.

You like nothing. I used to be like you. Like everything now, took years of trying :)

To be fair I do usually try to eat stuff but it doesn't work very often. In the last few years however I have been converted to lasagne, although I actually sieve the sauce...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Goats cheese, blue cheese, corriander, and peppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Bit of research into possible causes of being "picky eaters". Studying if it is genetic as oppossed to psychological.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10959879

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I worked with a girl once who only ate milk chocolate & chips. That was it. Nothing else. Chocolate for breakfast & lunch. Chips for dinner.

I asked what she did when dining out & she said for appearances sake she would order chicken & chips. She would then eat the chips & leave the chicken untouched & make some excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There was a series on BBC 3 a while back called "freaky Eaters". Some of them were truly weird, like someone who basically only ate cheese (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b009s833), and you seriously wondered how they had managed to survive that long without an illness due to some kind of major nutritional deficiency. In every single case, the cause was psychological in nature and put down to some kind of childhood trauma involving food or meal times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How to get fussy eaters to eat...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10962398

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Tongue.
    Cow Liver
    Kidney
    Lamb.
    Celery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Cocolola wrote: »
    Erm... :o actually no I don't drink either. Maybe once or twice a year if there's an occasion I might have a west coast cooler or two but ya I don't like things that taste like alcohol. :eek:

I'd better stop admitting stuff now!

what do you eat other than strained lasagne ?

:confused:

Advertisement