Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Manky Foods Thread [Merged]

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

quaalude wrote: »
    I too eat anything, and I'm a vegetarian who loves vegetables, but I've HATED celery FOREVER. Stringy, squeaky, soapy - blee!!
    But it was time recently to give raw celery its once-a-decade shake of the stick, so I had some with peanut butter on it, and I have to say - it was surprisingly nice.
    Something about the fattiness of the peanut butter just made it work - the texture was crisp and the flavour almost citrus-y.
    Now I've not been eating celery every day or anything, but I don't get angry when I can see it a soup or whatever since.

So maybe try it, Crumpets, with some nice peanut butter - Meridian Crunchy with a pinch of sea salt, say.

Peanut butter. Now, there's something I'd never have thought of having with celery.
    I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip. May I asked what made you try it with peanut butter, of all things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Shenshen wrote: »
    Peanut butter. Now, there's something I'd never have thought of having with celery.
    I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip. May I asked what made you try it with peanut butter, of all things?
    It's a pretty usual combo, tbh. Google "ants on a log". A common enough snack for kids in the US :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I've drastically cut my bread intake in the last couple of years, so I'm always looking for new things to spread cheese and peanut butter on, and celery was suggested to me as a good vehicle for peanut butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Olives, prawns, mussels, tapioca, sweet rice desserts, beetroot from the jar.
    That's my banned list!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

quaalude wrote: »
    and celery was suggested to me as a good vehicle for peanut butter!
    I use sesame ryvitas. Still a sort of crisp bread but its very light, about 1/3rd the calories as a slice of bread.

I was not a big fan of ryvitas but the sesame ones are really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

rubadub wrote: »
    I use sesame ryvitas. Still a sort of crisp bread but its very light, about 1/3rd the calories as a slice of bread.

I was not a big fan of ryvitas but the sesame ones are really nice.

And you can put small amounts of peanut butter on the smoothish side and ginormous amounts on the dimply side so that all the dimples are properly filled!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jaysus, didn't realise this thread was still going/merged!

I saw a comment about jerky, I think that's the only other manky thing I've eaten other than kidneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I can't stand mayonnaise, especially when it's literally poured on top of food. I used to dislike cabbage when I was younger, but I haven't had it in ages, so I'm probably over that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Mayonnaise is absolute filth, and there should be a law against serving burgers with the vile white slime on them. Punishable by death.

Also any cheese that smells like vomit should be banned. Parmesan... urghhhh...

Also butter - it ruins everything it touches. Nothing worse than seeing what looks like a nice side of mixed veg or spuds arriving at a table only to smell the stench of butter emanating from it.

Most shellfish are also an abomination. Nothing that so closely resembles a massive booger should be considered food.

Avocado too, unless it's in very small quantities in sushi, has no place on my plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mayonnaise is absolute filth

Parmesan... urghhhh...

Also butter - it ruins everything it touches. Nothing worse than seeing what looks like a nice side of mixed veg or spuds arriving at a table only to smell the stench of butter emanating from it.

Most shellfish are also an abomination.
    Avocado too

I'm afraid our personal differences are too large and we shall never be wed :( I'll cancel the band & marquee

I'm afraid our personal differences are too large and we shall never be wed :( I'll cancel the band & marquee

Heart = broken. :(

Go on then, what would make your list of manky foods (apologies if you already said earlier in the thread and I missed it - I'm at work so just sort of skimming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Celery (although getting less militant about this as long as it's cooked), low fat yoghurts, vanilla yoghurt, marg/butter substitutes, uncooked egg white, offal/innards, food that's wet that shouldn't be, very soft textured or mushy food when I'm hungover or feeling delicate. Can't cope with scraping marrow out of bones either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Let me get this right Rakish Paddy. You're list of manky foods is Mayonnaise, Butter, smelly cheese, parmesan, shellfish and avocado?

Seems kinda strange that you've found you're way onto a food lovers forum;)

I think the only thing that I really dislike at all times is marzipan.
    Cumin is a flavour that can sometimes spoil something for me and I will never use it in my own cooking.

Let me get this right Rakish Paddy. You're list of manky foods is Mayonnaise, Butter, smelly cheese, parmesan, shellfish and avocado?

Seems kinda strange that you've found you're way onto a food lovers forum;)

I LOVE food and cooking. I just don't like manky foods such as the aforementioned!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Mayonnaise is absolute filth, and there should be a law against serving burgers with the vile white slime on them. Punishable by death.

Also any cheese that smells like vomit should be banned. Parmesan... urghhhh...

What they sell as mayonnaise isn't mayonnaise at all. You haven't eaten mayonnaise until you've made your own (or get someone to make it for you..)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Mushrooms freak me out.

In my friends words 'I have a proper fear of fish'. It's like some sort of allergy. The smell makes me nauseous and gag. It does make me feel very sick. I do eat canned tuna but it's not smelly fishy. It doesn't really count but I do eat some frozen fish but that doesn't really count.

I have a love/hate relationship with tomatoes. I like them but only if they're cut small. I hate when you bite into a tomato and it bursts. :o Not a huge fan of the smell either but they're nice in sandwiches.

I don't like the taste of liver. The first time I had it I didn't know it was liver and thought the meat tasted a bit off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

rosie16 wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with tomatoes. I like them but only if they're cut small. I hate when you bite into a tomato and it bursts..

Have you taken one directly from the plant and eaten it? It tastes gorgeous, not like a tomato at all, just a burst of beautiful flavour. We grow cherry tomatoes on the windowsill, and I like nothing better than to pick one and pop it straight into my mouth. Don't knock it till you've tried it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Friend of mine was a male model a few years back, his diet was so strict that peanut butter on one stick of celery was his monthly cheat food.

I honestly can't even imagine combining the two though.

Advertisement