Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BARGAIN] Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) - €2.99

Options
  • 27-07-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Working today (HMV, Crescent S.C., Limerick) and got a sheet with the above on it to go into Sale. Sale price is €2.99. Has been transferred in my shop, perhaps other HMV's.

Not sure what else to say...

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I really hope this is true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's cool, wish I hadn't given my Wii to my sister now.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm not learning Smash, it's too different to what I'm used to :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

If I had youtube right now, I would so have a Supermarket Sweep clip in here.

Sounds good, now all I need is the bargain basement Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Brawl features Solid Snake and ability to have Mario vs Sonic; everyone should own a copy. €3 is a steal for the amount of content to unlock and fun to be had.

NeoKubrick wrote:
    >for the amount of content to unlock
    >amount of content to unlock
    >content to unlock
    >unlock

Not buying this game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

But... you bought Street Fighter 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I predict a lot less wobbly tables throughout Ireland.

I did buy SF4.
    I didn't even bother unlocking Seth for over 6 months.

I guess I was just too used to the Tekken method of "play through the game lots of times", but then I started realising that this isn't fun right after the time Tekken 5 DR came out (on PS3).
    It gave me 35 characters from the start, no unlocks needed, and I could just PLAY.
    And then SF4 said "NOPE" and made me waste time LariatSpin-and-Win-ing with Zangief.
    I hated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I don't like Brawl nearly as much as I like Melee, but it's still a great game, and you should definitely pick it up for €3.

I actually like unlocking stuff, it probably appeals to that same part of the gamer brain that likes getting achievements. There was really only one day that I spent seriously playing SFIV, and that was unlocking all the chars in one sitting.

In Melee I actually deleted my character unlock data twice (you can do it seperate from your overall data) because I found unlocking and defeating the characters to be a lot of fun.

On the flipside, I also like how everything was unlocked in SSFIV from the start (and I also prefer the new way of unlocking colours and taunts).

Both are cool and appeal to me probably based on what mood I'm in.

That said, the fact that most of Brawls content has to be unlocked AND the save file for the game refuses to be moved or copied (WTF?) makes this a very frustrating game to run tournaments in.

Only tournament I've ever ran for it I had to leave partway through and drive from UCD to tallaght and back again to pick up a friend's Wii, because while we had (more than) enough Wiis for the day, there were only two of them that had a fully unlocked Brawl save.

Seriously though guys, if you have a Wii, and don't own Brawl, buy the damn game. It costs less than a sandwich.

I spoke to a guy I know who works at HMV (it's this price in ALL stores), and he said it should probably be €29.99 and figures its a system error. They're still selling it at that price for now though, so get it while it's hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

No sale on in HMV in Cork =(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Smash Bros. is unique: unlocking content is basically the fun of the game aside from multiplayer. The designers assume whoever is playing the game is a fan of Nintendo. While it would be a chore unlocking content in other games, it isn't, or as much, because you could be unlocking your favourite character from your favourite series. And, unlike other games', it helps that most of the content in Smash Bros. is worth unlocking.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Smash Bros. is unique: unlocking content is basically the fun of the game aside from multiplayer.

I agree, I got EVERY trophy in Melee. Every single one. Even Diskun.

My only problem with Brawl unlocks as I mentioned was how difficult the unlock system makes tournaments, and to a certain extent how many of the unlocks stemmed from the Subspace Emissary, which I personally didn't enjoy, but was glad it had co-op so you could sort of share the pain.

Nintendo should have allowed copying of save data though, or at least put in a cheat-code to temp unlock the characters for tournaments.
    I can understand them not expecting people to want that for Melee, since Smash 64 was kind of an amusing novelty, but Melee exploded the competitive Smash scene, so they had 7 years to notice we would have appreciated it in Brawl.

Nintendo should have allowed copying of save data though, or at least put in a cheat-code to temp unlock the characters for tournaments.
    I like this idea.

Locked characters is bad design, pure and simple.

Anything that's locked should be a bonus not essential to the core gameplay.

I'd be inclined to agree with you for competitive multiplayer games; but in single player games it can add heaps of playtime and replay value.

Smash has it's fingers in a lot of pies, since the options allow you to modify it between being a fun party game, and competitive srz bsnz.

Brawl in particular put a lot of effort into its single player campaign too, in the form of the Subspace Emissary, and being the crazy Smash fanboy I am (and considering I had managed to avoid every character announcement aside from the Snake/Sonic trailers); at every single point where a character was cinematically announced I was jumping off my couch going "WOO! This person is still in the game!" or "Holy crap I had no idea this person would be in it".

If got me that excited, it can't be "bad design, pure and simple".

I'll give it to you in vanilla IV, because SF has never put any effort into it's single player but it's not always a bad thing.

I'm talking about locking characters in fighting games, this is a fighting game forum after all.

There's no such thing as a "secret" character anymore, I knew everyone who was in brawl months in advance and I didn't enjoy grinding the single player mode to complete the roster. Thankfully my old main was Ganondorf and you could get him in under half an hour iirc, what if you had your heart set on maining Wolf? He took bloody ages to get to, and you could miss him entirely and have to backtrack looking for him.

Trophies, stickers, minigames, bonus music, whatever is fair game, because it doesn't prevent you from just booting the game up and playing it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I didn't even bother unlocking Seth for over 6 months.

I never unlocked seth in the first game, cant remember the amount of hours i put into it too, crazy amount.

As much as i love (hate :D) SSF4 the smash bros games are my fav, its just solid fun with them and its easy to pick up.
    I actually like unlocking stuff, it probably appeals to that same part of the gamer brain that likes getting achievements.

Same i think this is one of the best things about these games. Even the litte statues and trophies you collect had me hooked. Man i have all of those games. I miss playing them friends :( would love to go to a dublin meet up but lim is too far away for me to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I usen't think like this but now I probably do. Particularly since the first time I actually went to a Street Fighter 4 tournament, in the usual Dublin spot, when the "secret" characters weren't legal to play and weren't even unlocked on most of the machines. Anyone else remember that? Balrog was my main so I was okay, but that messed a lot of people up. Super SF4 was a breath of fresh air, it meant you could train up on whoever you wanted from the off, without having to train up on someone else first.

Before SF4, I never really tried to get good with a fighting game. Maybe that has something to do with my change in mindset.

I'm in favour of unlockables, and the more the merrier, it keeps me happy when my internet connection is pigeon-powered. But like Scavenger said, core elements in competitive games shouldn't be locked away.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Particularly since the first time I actually went to a Street Fighter 4 tournament, in the usual Dublin spot, when the "secret" characters weren't legal to play and weren't even unlocked on most of the machines. Anyone else remember that? Balrog was my main so I was okay, but that messed a lot of people up.
    I had to use Ken!

KEN!

There's no such thing as a "secret" character anymore, I knew everyone who was in brawl months in advance

That was your choice. You sought out the information. I personally like surprises. Hell I was surprised to see goddamn OLIMAR in the intro CG, had no idea he was to be in the game. Kinda wish I'd jumped straight into Subspace Emissary without watching the intro, since all the CG scenes were spliced from it.

Just because I'm in the minority doesn't mean the notion of secrets are dead.

I waited seven years for a goddamn Melee sequel, I wanted my joy compressed in a gaming session of a few days, not spaced out over MONTHS of drip-feed announcements.
    Dunjohn wrote:
    I'm in favour of unlockables, and the more the merrier, it keeps me happy when my internet connection is pigeon-powered. But like Scavenger said, core elements in competitive games shouldn't be locked away.

I don't think Nintendo really regard the Smash games as competitive. Probably more like an excellent publicity machine to increase the awareness of little known franchises. We've made it competitive, and Nintendo aren't terribly well known for listening to fans.

I still enjoyed unlocking the characters "HOLY CRAP MEWTWO! Wait, who's that? What's a Lucario?"

but that didn't stop me swearing at the game when trying to run tournaments (really Nintendo? Uncopyable AND Unmovable? WTF?).

• Advertisement

(really Nintendo? Uncopyable AND Unmovable? WTF?).
    All Wii titles that have an online component share that annoying detail. My poor Raving Rabids save is trapped on another Wii now =(

I'll give that there is a certain joy in little reveals like that but the information is so goddamn readily available, I got hype many times from the character revelations - shame I absolutely hated the end product.

Falcon's entrance in story mode was the best, just.... awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I don't think Nintendo really regard the Smash games as competitive. Probably more like an excellent publicity machine to increase the awareness of little known franchises. We've made it competitive, and Nintendo aren't terribly well known for listening to fans.
    Yeah, and this is why I didn't even bother to fetch my Wii's sensor bar after it slipped down behind the TV about three months ago. Too many blue shells/Bullet Bills/giant mushrooms up the arse made me realise that Nintendo only wants simpletons to have fun in player vs player titles.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Yeah, and this is why I didn't even bother to fetch my Wii's sensor bar after it slipped down behind the TV about three months ago. Too many blue shells/Bullet Bills/giant mushrooms up the arse made me realise that Nintendo only wants simpletons to have fun in player vs player titles.

Tripping.

It's been said a million times, but... GOD.DAMN.IT.

Falcon's entrance in story mode was the best, just.... awesome.

YES!
    Dunjohn wrote:
    Nintendo only wants simpletons to have fun in player vs player titles.

I think it's kind of unfair to diss people who enjoy casual Nintendo games as simpletons. MKDS is my favourite MK and it's metagame basically came down to picking a light character and wavedashing 24/7. Items almost didn't matter.

Some people just aren't good at games, but I have no problem with them having fun.

Hell I once adjusted the settings in Brawl to be SO casual friendly (all stages open, all items on high, timed match, auto-handicap) that I was unable to beat a guy I know who is a PC purist and is useless with anything that isn't a mouse and keyboard.

The point was to handicap myself to all hell so that play would be more enjoyable for him, and it worked! He had so much fun playing that he was nearly in tears from laughing so hard.

That's a good thing.

If there was an option to turn tripping off brawl would have been a fair bit better, leave it on if you want random shenanigans, off if you want to have a actual match, sorted. Developers think they know best and refuse to give you options for these things.

Hell, I'm pleasantly surprised when a game let's me reassign the crappy default control setup they always seem to have.

If there was an option to turn tripping off brawl would have been a fair bit better

No disagreements here.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

The point was to handicap myself to all hell so that play would be more enjoyable for him, and it worked! He had so much fun playing that he was nearly in tears from laughing so hard.

That's a good thing.

Sometimes its nice to just to have a game like that, pure fun.

GorySnake wrote: »
    Sometimes its nice to just to have a game like that, pure fun.

It was.

He thought a spidermonkey with a jetpack firing peanuts was the most hilarious thing in the world.

That session was also when I learned that if you're far enough behind in a timed match, that you respawn WITH a Smash ball.

Which of course leads to MOAR SPIDERMONKEYS ON JETPACKS :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

At €3 anyone who is marginally interested in trying out the Smash series should get this, unlocking all the characters is a bit of a task, you have to complete the subpar Subspace Emissary mode, but thats just an hour or 2 tops.

Yes Melee is much better in every way.

Advertisement