Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless networf for office using Netopia

Options
  • 27-07-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Guys

I have one of those old Eircom Netopia routers (2247 i think) anyway I'm trying to hook it to the office LAN and create a network for visitors. There's onel already configured but i cant check teh settingc coz teh previous muppet of an it admin never left teh passwords when he left.

basically i need this wirless network seperate for our active lan (it'll be in a seperate IP range)

on the connection page i've set the following:

protocol PPP over ethernet LLC/SNAP
    static IP one of our public IPs.
    IP gateway - what i think the gatway address is on the visitor range
    Primary DNS 85.91.1.128

any one any ideas apary from teh gateway coz i've tried a few different addresses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Faolchu wrote: »
    Guys

I have one of those old Eircom Netopia routers (2247 i think) anyway I'm trying to hook it to the office LAN and create a network for visitors. There's onel already configured but i cant check teh settingc coz teh previous muppet of an it admin never left teh passwords when he left.

basically i need this wirless network seperate for our active lan (it'll be in a seperate IP range)

on the connection page i've set the following:

protocol PPP over ethernet LLC/SNAP
    static IP one of our public IPs.
    IP gateway - what i think the gatway address is on the visitor range
    Primary DNS 85.91.1.128

any one any ideas apary from teh gateway coz i've tried a few different addresses

what exactly are you trying to achieve? You can have only one router active on a DSL enabled line! You can use it as a wireless access point though but im not sure what use this would be if it wont provide internet access? maybe I am missing something here though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

you need to define a separate SSID, that only has access to the internet, and not bridged to your LAN/office SSID.

To do this you need to get onto the netopia's config page, usually http://192.168.1.254

Try this guide: http://www.netopia.com/support/intl/eircom/technotes/IEWG_110.html

this should get you as far as the wireless config, then choose "configure wireless hotspot"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

basically I'm trying to set up a wireless access point on our lan using the old netopia router. I don't need to have it working as a router because there we have a fibre link connected to our firewalls. i was working but teh old IT admin left and documented nothing so i have no admin passwords (changed from the default) and no wireless key so no users can connect anyway.

I have the fibre linked to the F/W linked to the netopia.

i have an SSID configured on the netopia box, i need to have it connect to my lan and pass traffic out so I'm guessing i need to give the netopia my gateway address or else my firewall address as its gateway would i be right?

as this is on a different IP range to our servers (the firewalls have multiple internal Ps/NICS) it wont be able to see out DNS servers either so what DNS IP would i give? I have IPs for magnet and blacknight that i use for my DNS server.

basically I'm trying to set up a wireless access point on our lan using the old netopia router. I don't need to have it working as a router because there we have a fibre link connected to our firewalls. i was working but teh old IT admin left and documented nothing so i have no admin passwords (changed from the default) and no wireless key so no users can connect anyway.

I have the fibre linked to the F/W linked to the netopia.

i have an SSID configured on the netopia box, i need to have it connect to my lan and pass traffic out so I'm guessing i need to give the netopia my gateway address or else my firewall address as its gateway would i be right?

as this is on a different IP range to our servers (the firewalls have multiple internal Ps/NICS) it wont be able to see out DNS servers either so what DNS IP would i give? I have IPs for magnet and blacknight that i use for my DNS server.

apologies if i miss something here, late and not thinking straight.. but if your fw's have multiple nics would it be an option to ignore the existing netopia and connect the new one directly to a port on the fw which you could then assign desired ip to? yep give the gw address as the ip of port on firewall and assign your isp's dns
    edit: if the new router / ap will have different ip range how will it be able to see anything on existing lan? or does it need to?

corkcomp wrote: »
    edit: if the new router / ap will have different ip range how will it be able to see anything on existing lan? or does it need to?

doesn't need to see anything, its for any visitors to our offices so that they can access the Internet

• Advertisement

doesn't need to see anything, its for any visitors to our offices so that they can access the Internet

id go with what I posted above in that case... you should be able to achieve this without accessing existing router .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just reset the APs to the original passwords and re-configure, takes about 5 mins. then set up the SSIDs as above

sorted. got the FW guys to put one port of the FW on a different subnet and set it up fo DHCP connecte dthis to a small switch then connected the APs to the SW from teh patch panel/floor ports, then reset the devices and changed their IPs to be on the same subnet. made sure DHCP was disabbled and set up the wireless.

cheers for the info here's me thinkig i'd need to set up the IP detals for the DSL part instead of letting it just act like a switch/hub.

Advertisement