Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good cycling routes for kids in/around Dublin?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭

Junior has finally got his first decent bike (going on 6) and I want to take him out cycling. Looking for ideas. A couple I know are, East Point to Dollymount beach, Strand Road Sandymount (on Path) out to Booterstown then on to Blackrock along the Dart line, Phoenix park, any others in Dublin? and around Dublin are the lakes any good, Glendalough, Blessington? and even further afield are there any good stretches of the canals or any rivers that are worth a day out?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

St Catherines park in Lucan or the grand canal thats just up the road from st catherines park. Its quite narrow though and close to the water, you might want to have a look to see if its safe for a 6 year old if he falls funny or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

How far would ye be going?

As regards the Royal Canal, there is a nice stretch of cycle lane say from fairview up as far as cross guns bridge in phibsboro, going past Croke Park along the way. There are a few points where you might need to leave the path, where there is a bridge for example it may not be possible to go under it. Now, there can be undesirables drinking a long the way. I;d have no problems with it, but whether you want to bring your 6 year old....

I believe that path goes all the way to Blanch, and there are some lovely countryside stretches as well as some ropey ones in west cabra.

Another one that I would recommend: Carton House has a long road from one end of the estate to the other. The surface is gorgeous, well behaved traffic and you could stop there for lunch. Also there is a swimming pool. You'd have to get out there first. Could take the train perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Bill2673 wrote: »
    How far would ye be going?

As regards the Royal Canal, there is a nice stretch of cycle lane say from fairview up as far as cross guns bridge in phibsboro, going past Croke Park along the way. There are a few points where you might need to leave the path, where there is a bridge for example it may not be possible to go under it. Now, there can be undesirables drinking a long the way. I;d have no problems with it, but whether you want to bring your 6 year old....

I believe that path goes all the way to Blanch, and there are some lovely countryside stretches as well as some ropey ones in west cabra.

Another one that I would recommend: Carton House has a long road from one end of the estate to the other. The surface is gorgeous, well behaved traffic and you could stop there for lunch. Also there is a swimming pool. You'd have to get out there first. Could take the train perhaps.

4 to 6 km would be enough for now, I hadnt heard of Carton House, will keep an eye out for it. it's going to be a case of throwing the bikes in the back of the car in most cases.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is the Grand Canal Cycle route. Not great for non-statnard bikes, due to the gates. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cianginty/sets/72157623996815767/
    Bill2673 wrote: »

There can be anti-social behaviour, especially on the Phibsborough-Broombridge section, with substance abuse and stone throwing and mooning at the trains. I've never had a problem out of maybe 10 times (5 hours?), but I had one kid arrested for stone throwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'll add St Anne's park to my list. Went there today and its the business for shorter cycles anyway, nice farmers market too

• Advertisement
Advertisement