Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saddle Problem

• 27-07-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a mountain bike with some wear and tear. It's a good bike. My friend left it out in the rain and it rusted up a bit. I got it all repaired but I cannot raise the saddle. It is jammed pretty tight. I've tried throwing on some wd-40. Still won't budge. Brought it to Quay Cycles in Drogheda and the guy said that I won't be able to move it because it's "set". Does anybody have any suggestions as to how it might be possible to budge this seat. I've tried using a car jack but the force just wasn't going in the right direction and I was bending the saddle. Has anybody any ingenious ideas for sorting this out. It's unlikely to move but I want to try!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

You may have to sacrifice the seatpost. You should be able to re-use the saddle. Seatposts are not very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's a good bike. My friend left it out in the rain and it rusted up a bit!
    :rolleyes:
    I got it all repaired but I cannot raise the saddle!

Who repaired it and what were the nature of the repairs? If the repair was recent and involved the seat post which has subsequently stuck maybe the person who did the repair will stand over it?

If you are going to get the seat post out yourself you should start with taking off the saddle befoe it gets further butchered. Then read the tips which blorg linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hi

I have a mountain bike with some wear and tear. It's a good bike. My friend left it out in the rain and it rusted up a bit. I got it all repaired but I cannot raise the saddle. It is jammed pretty tight. I've tried throwing on some wd-40. Still won't budge. Brought it to Quay Cycles in Drogheda and the guy said that I won't be able to move it because it's "set". Does anybody have any suggestions as to how it might be possible to budge this seat. I've tried using a car jack but the force just wasn't going in the right direction and I was bending the saddle. Has anybody any ingenious ideas for sorting this out. It's unlikely to move but I want to try!

1. Remove saddle
    2. unscrew seat post clamp
    3 secure seatpost into a bench vise
    4. Use bike frame as lever and twist the frame off the seatpost.
    5. Buy new seatpost
    6. grease newseat post BEFORE putting it back into the frame to prevent same happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the danger of putting pressure on the frame is that you could bend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

BostonB wrote: »

If the seatpost is THAT tight, then so be it...clamping the frame and trying to twist the seatpost is harder and much more likely to damage the frame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

BostonB wrote: »
    If you can bend the frame by clamping the seatpost in the vice and twisting, then the frame is not strong enough to be safe to ride. Hence there is no loss breaking the frame in such a way but only the win of preventing a potential serious injury.

Seriously the frame is put under more pressure riding down the road than you can produce in the above scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you can bend the frame by clamping the seatpost in the vice and twisting, then the frame is not strong enough to be safe to ride. Hence there is no loss breaking the frame in such a way but only the win of preventing a potential serious injury.

Seriously the frame is put under more pressure riding down the road than you can produce in the above scenario

Maybe your right. But you can put massive pressure with a lever the size of a bike in a vice. I've seen vices break with people putting pressure like that on a vice. As thieves can bend a frame around a lampost I imagine they are not that hard to bend. Maybe I'm wrong I've never done it.

Advertisement