Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estrella Galicia - can I get it in Ireland?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭

I've just come back from Northern Spain and really loved the Estrella Galicia beer which is sold all over.

I'm wondering can I buy it in Ireland - Cork in particular?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't think I've ever seen it.

It's just a pale lager, though. Other ones are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Abbot Ale House on Devonshire St do an Estrella, not sure if its the one you're looking for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i got a few btls last week in Kennys off license in LUCAN village.

The Estrella Damm beers (including Inedit and Daura -- both sold here) are by a totally different company from Estrella Galicia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I've just come back from Northern Spain and really loved the Estrella Galicia beer which is sold all over.

I walked all 800km of the Camino Francés last month sober just for the craic (ahem!) intending on having my first drink (well, a whole slew of them to be honest!) when I arrived in Santiago after all my suffering. Estrella everywhere - and I mean everywhere. Two different barmen told me with a smile "Estrella or water!" (with the unmistakable intonation of "Estrella or death!") when I asked for San Miguel. It is really odd that no other drink appears to be sold in Galicia - at least in the forty-odd places which I checked in Santiago. Even in rural Ireland you'd have a choice of Guinness or ... Harp back in the day ;)

Estrella was headwrecking! Really shocking stuff and I was dying to celebrate.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Dionysus wrote: »
    I walked all 800km of the Camino Francés last month sober just for the craic (ahem!) intending on having my first drink (well, a whole slew of them to be honest!) when I arrived in Santiago after all my suffering. Estrella everywhere - and I mean everywhere. Two different barmen told me with a smile "Estrella or water!" (with the unmistakable intonation of "Estrella or death!") when I asked for San Miguel. It is really odd that no other drink appears to be sold in Galicia - at least in the forty-odd places which I checked in Santiago. Even in rural Ireland you'd have a choice of Guinness or ... Harp back in the day ;)

Estrella was headwrecking! Really shocking stuff and I was dying to celebrate.:D

Ha ha! I did the last 116km of the Camino Francés earlier this month, maybe it was the heat or something but the nice cool pints of Estrella along the way were yummy! There's another beer called Mahou which isn't as nice.

grenache wrote: »
    Abbot Ale House on Devonshire St do an Estrella, not sure if its the one you're looking for though.

Cool, thanks, I'll check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Aglomerado wrote: »

I'm almost positive I've seen it in Superquinn a few times.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'm almost positive I've seen it in Superquinn a few times.
    Betcha it was Estrella Damm.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Betcha it was Estrella Damm.
    No, i can confidently say it was Estrella Galicia he saw. I saw the six pack for sale in the Limerick Superquinn last night. 330ml bottles with a free glass. There was a display of it on the floor but didn't have any price on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hairy MustDash

Yeah !! Estrella Galicia is available in Ireland now brought in by Boyne Valley Foods

Yeah !! Estrella Galicia is available in Ireland now brought in by Boyne Valley Foods
    now that i think of it, i picked up that Estrella '1906' lager in Cork last year. Nearly sure it was in Carry Out on Bandon Road.

grenache wrote: »
    No, i can confidently say it was Estrella Galicia he saw. I saw the six pack for sale in the Limerick Superquinn last night. 330ml bottles with a free glass. There was a display of it on the floor but didn't have any price on it.

Excellent, should be heading in the direction of Limerick very soon, I'll drop in here! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

As mentioned above it's imported by Boyne Valley Foods - Superquinn stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

4 bottles currently available in dunnes for €5.99

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hardi1

I got Estrella Galicia in Deveneys, Dundrum earlier this week. I realise this is not much use to you in Cork!

As ian_m says above Dunnes sell it. They definitely have it in the one by the bandon road roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 the fella who

bought some lovely cans of estrella galicia in Centra Manorhamilton Co.Leitrim at the weekend, I quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A few weeks ago I found some in the Spar on Milltown Rd. 4 for €4 IIRC.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

Spar Phillipsburg Ave , Fairview
    €1 a can
    have the bottles the odd time
    4 for €4 too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

They sell it in the roundy ,saw two fair maidens drinking it there last Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Just bought a few cans of it for a euro a can (I'm sure it was marked as 1.49) in the garage on the straight road.

Thanks! I get around the country a lot and I have managed to source some in Spar, Bath Avenue in Ballsbridge and also in Gort, Co. Galway. Happy days! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

JCs in Swords have it on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

Seen it in a few places around Wexford Street, Dublin recently for between €1 and €1.30 a can (Spar, Whelans, etc). Tried it out of curiousity. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but very tasteless even as lagers go? Almost slightly watery tasting? 4.7% alcohol also.

donaghs wrote: »
    Seen it in a few places around Wexford Street, Dublin recently for between €1 and €1.30 a can (Spar, Whelans, etc). Tried it out of curiousity. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but very tasteless even as lagers go? Almost slightly watery tasting? 4.7% alcohol also.

It's nothing special, true, especially since I have now discovered craft ales, but I have positive associations with this beer and always grab a few cans if I see them. It reminds me of my Camino de Santiago trip, loads of little bars along "the Way" where I could stop, rest my feet, chat to other walkers and have one (or two) of these.

Advertisement