Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of saving up for a 1090T

Options
  • 27-07-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

So, I was thinking of starting saving for a 1090T after I come back from my hols in Turkey, I currently have a 550, unlocked to a power-hungry (180 Watts!) and even then the motherboard doesn't even unlock it most of the time and I have to reboot if it doesn't unlock.

I do a decent amount of DVD ripping and Video Encoding, along with a lot of gaming, so I was thinking of upgrading to this hexacore. I'd have the money needed for it by February which is when I think Bulldozer is being revealed to the public (or so I heard) which could mean a price drop for current CPU's.

So, worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Actually, would a 1055T be as good for my needs? It's €100 less, 400mHz less on each core and has a locked multiplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Actually, would a 1055T be as good for my needs? It's €100 less, 400mHz less on each core and has a locked multiplier.

fantastic proc, have the 1055T - haven't tried overclocking and haven't felt the need, but for video encoding and ripping dvd's it just flies,

If you want to push the chip, the unlocked multi will help on the 1090...

Well, I would appreciate an unlocked multiplier, having experience it with my 550/B50, but I don't feel it's worth €100.
    Thanks for the help, I think I'll start saving for the 1055T, heck, by then maybe even something between the 1055 amnd 1090 will come out!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

While you do lose a certain % of frames per second in many games the X6 cores are just fine for gaming (almost never signifigant drops, for example I see in one bench the 1055T records a drop in fallout 3 @ 1680X1050 from 87FPS to 80 FPS when compared with the 965 BE X4 and in L4D2 from 127 to 111 FPS), these unnoticable to the human eye FPS losses are more than outweighted by the benefits gained if you do alot of ripping and Encoding IMO.

I'm not afraid of losing some frames, if I do, I shall just OC it a bit :)

Which should in turn make ripping and encoding faster as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 barracuda546

Your better off with the 1055T as with a after market cooler you can get all six cores to 4ghz no bother.So unless your into some serious oc theres no point

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Venom, please remind my brain what mobo you have in there? Most low-end mobos aren't really designed to go too far past 100W and trying to OC a 125W CPU on them... could result in exploding Vregs... :eek::o

GA-890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.0.

Advertisement