Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone experienced being "fleeced" yet during Race Week

Options
  • 27-07-2010 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Any locals notice any hike in prices yet?

I have just been to a local cafe - Lynches Cafe - I ordered the same thing as I ordered three weeks ago - three weeks ago it was 3 Euro - today it was 9 Euro.

I questioned the price and was given 1.25 euro off, making it a total of 7.75 Euro. I refused to pay and walked out and won't be walking in there again. Cheek of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have just been to a local cafe - Lynches Cafe - I ordered the same thing as I ordered three weeks ago - three weeks ago it was 3 Euro - today it was 9 Euro.

I questioned the price and was given 1.25 euro off, making it a total of 7.75 Euro. I refused to pay and walked out and won't be walking in there again. Cheek of them.

you should always check the price of something before you buy it. Your in the wrong for walking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I assumed it would be the same price as three weeks ago - and why am I in the wrong for walking out - why shouldn't I walk out - you can be fleeced with your money if you want but sorry I work to hard for my money to have some greed monger triple the price of something and expect to get paid for it - I went off and got my lunch somewhere not so greed - he on the other hand probably had to dump the meal I refused unless he threw it back on the hot plate which would go against hygiene rules - he lost a local customer and that local customers family, friends and acquaintance - all so he could triple the price of something.

YOu say Im wrong for walking out
    shouldn't it be them thats wrong for tripling the price?

I'll be wrong then - I don't mind, as long as I didn't hand over my money to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

you should always check the price of something before you buy it. Your in the wrong for walking out.

How is he in the wrong? he never ate the meal, When he discovered the price, he determined that it was not worth it and declined and left. If he ate it then refused thats another problem. But you pay before you eat in Lynches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

What exactly was E3 but now is E9?

one piece of chicken fillet and one scoop of beans.

when I challenged him on it he said that the one chicken fillet was considered a "full portion" (this was without the spuds, roast spud, two veg and gravy).

funny how its a full portion this week, but last time it only cost 3 Euro.

On another note, I was in there last week, had chicken scoop beans and scoop mushrooms for a total of 4.50

they can stick their beans where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

Columc wrote: »
    How is he in the wrong? he never ate the meal, When he discovered the price, he determined that it was not worth it and declined and left. If he ate it then refused thats another problem. But you pay before you eat in Lynches

he never mentioned he didnt eat it..apart from the second post.

a business has the right to change their prices when and how they please.
    If they believe people are willing to pay the price they set then so be it.

No everyone is going to like it

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

one piece of chicken fillet and one scoop of beans.

If they seriously asked for €9 for this, then OP was right to walk IMO..

Though €3 seems cheap for any meal in a cafe these days, recession or no. Perhaps it was an offer at the time, or someone there was just being sensible in not charging full price for a meal if it didn't include potatoes, salad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

he never mentioned he didnt eat it..apart from the second post.

a business has the right to change their prices when and how they please.
    If they believe people are willing to pay the price they set then so be it.

No everyone is going to like it

Are you in this business because you appear to be on the side of the guy ripping him off, he was dead right to walk out that is whats wrong with this City of ours we are being ripped off left right and centre, he should be reported to who ever deals with this kind of robbery.

You should name and shame these guys give Galway Bay FM and the papers a call ans see how quick the price will drop.

sorry, but no, they actually don't have the right to do that. They need to follow ethics and rules the same as anyone else, otherwise it will be a free for all. If I had eaten the meal I would still have challenged it and I would not have what he wanted me to pay.

you seem to think that we should all get fleeced and keep quiet about it - I beg to differ - I prefer to highlight it. Especially when they will be depending on their local custom in the dark days of winter, when all the tourists have departed - he'll have a long long wait before I darken the door again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You were damn right to walk out. You had no legal obligation to pay as you hadn't touched/eaten the food.

I can accept a little price hike during the week thats in it (Come on, business is business and people will charge what people will pay) but from €3 to €9 is just insane.

• Advertisement

in saying that, he didn't have a problem when I said I wanted to return the meal - he just said, that's fine, no problem and didn't kick up a stink.

I was in shock when I walked away - I couldn't believe it as the reason I always went in there is because I thought their prices were pretty reasonable compared to the other places in town, and it is more of a "local's" haunt, although there were a few european tourists in ahead of me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Broken arrows. its because of people with opinions like yours that we are all being shafted pricewise in this country. op was dead right to make sure his opinion was heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Maybe a staff member made a mistake and undercharged you 3 weeks ago. Talk to the manager about it. I'm sure he/she will listen to you and apologize for any inconvenience etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Just noticed on my lunch there that the price of a carvery in the Skeff has gone up since last week.

€9.95 for turkey and all the trimmings today, wasn't that price last week:rolleyes:

It seems a lot of places are totally overcharging. Looked at the menu for the new restaurant in Eyre Square; Maxwells (I think), and walked away when I saw they were charging 4.50 for soup and 6+ for a sandwich.

no, because it was the manager quoted the original price. You know how they heat up the meal under the heater for a few minutes - it was him that took it down and laid it on my tray and quote the 3 Euro price. This is why when the girl charged me 9 Euro today (or tried to) I questioned it and she went to the manager who looked at the plate and said 7.75 - this is why I questioned him also and said I wasn't paying for it. How could it be 3 Euro a couple weeks ago and have a price hike of 6 euro first and then when questioned, a price hike of 4.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

dantbyhid wrote: »
    Maybe a staff member made a mistake and undercharged you 3 weeks ago. Talk to the manager about it. I'm sure he/she will listen to you and apologize for any inconvenience etc

Yeah, it would be a good idea to talk to a manager, give them a second chance, although 9 euro is daft for that in any climate.

The fact that he gave you 1.25 off is kind of random, unless that is the 'discretion amount' that they give non management.

I think it's perfectly valid that you walked out, giving that you didn't touch the grub AND ordered the same thing quite recently. A euro or two hike, fair enough, but SIX? No way, even if you were undercharged the first time.

Just saw your last post - yeah, apart from writing to 'Corporate', that's all ya can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i know alot of cafes and restaurants have set dinner and lunch prices on their menus and some places will let you order "half portions" and that. cant say Ive come across too many letting you pay by the portion especially for hot food, I guess this is up to the restaurant and their goodwill...unless its actually stated/priced on their menus?! i dont know
    either way anyways if Lynchs allow people to just get some chicken and beans, he should have told you as you ordered that this was going to be the same as getting a full dinner if that was the case for the week that was in it. I would not have paid either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think if ya hold it against businesses for overcharging this week you might have no where left to go. As long as they don't put a tax on puffy directors pants I'll be happy. There should be a leaving town tax at the end of the week. Nothing says come back any time like overcharging for good and services.

I'd also say if it was to the manager you kicked up a fuss good for you, if it was to someone just working there, that's pointless.

it was to the manager, and I didn't really kick up a fuss - I just said "are you serious, 7.75 for whats on the plate, some beans and a piece of chicken - I'd like to return it" he said that's fine, no bother - he didn't seem a bit put out that I refused it - probably because he probably knew that he wouldn't pay that price himself, and he chanced his arm with the wrong person. Re. the statement that I should not hold it against businesses that overcharge this week - my answer is why should my hard earned money go into their pocket this week because there are a few horses running out in Bally brit - that means nothing to me this week, next week or any other week of the year. If you want to fleece the locals one week out of the year, then go ahead and try, but don't expect to be thanked for it. If thats all the regard they have for the locals that sit their bums in their chairs all year round, then its not much gratitude and they can keep their prices and their food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

why should he price it , he knew the price going in. he/she was right to walk out. there are plenty more cafe,s.

cats.life wrote: »
    why should he price it , he knew the price going in. he/she was right to walk out. there are plenty more cafe,s.

he knew the price 3 weeks ago. things change. not everyone likes change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Especially when you get less than you expect.

says who......I certainly like the 9 Euro change left in my pocket after not eating a spoonful of beans and a chicken fillet. I love my change - I love the fact I didn't hand it over like an eejit to boost someones profit for race week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Locals should get a special card to show.
    "Psst, I'm local. Don't fleece me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

I think ya were spot on for walking out, well within your rights. duno how places can get away with this to be honest. this thread just reminded me of a nightclub back home that raised the price on all drinks by 50 cents after 12! duno how places can do this, but there must be legal loopholes that allow them to do it. most would be too drunk to notice I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

telepylus wrote: »
    I think ya were spot on for walking out, well within your rights. duno how places can get away with this to be honest. this thread just reminded me of a nightclub back home that raised the price on all drinks by 50 cents after 12! duno how places can do this, but there must be legal loopholes that allow them to do it. most would be too drunk to notice I suppose

This was mentioned recently on a pub thread - someone said it had something to do with the extra overhead for staff after 12 - maybe a wages thing? Dunno?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

inisboffin wrote: »
    This was mentioned recently on a pub thread - someone said it had something to do with the extra overhead for staff after 12 - maybe a wages thing? Dunno?

bingo. All pubs/bars are legally allowed to charge you for this. (But most don't cause they're not pricks. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

biko wrote: »
    Locals should get a special card to show.
    "Psst, I'm local. Don't fleece me!"

People who work in shops near Lynch's are given a 15% discount card. It has been in operation for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I'm all for change but that was out and out extortion;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement