Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone experienced being "fleeced" yet during Race Week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

BrokenArrows....shutup please.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

BESman wrote: »
    Don't do that again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Agree that its a totally daft price and a legacy from a couple of years ago when the choppers were in the skies and people had more money than sense. Mind you, prices are hiked anywhere you go if there's an excuse.

Boils down to basic economics though, we live in a free (ish) capitalist market and the forces of supply and demand apply. The simple way to fight this is not give your business to those places where you don't believe you get value. Whilst I'd never wish financial ruin on a business if someone wants to rip you off you take your business elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

biko wrote: »

I won't. But he has no rationale for defending extortionate prices. Unless of course he works in the industry. Surely not. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Totally right for walking out. I'd have made a scene & made sure everyone heard what I was saying.

I've been going to Galway during race week for about 10 years now & it can make Dublin look cheap.

It's the same every year. Most of the businesses make about 80-90% of their profit during the summer festivals, Arts etc. It's a disgrace.

My father supplies hotels with goods & used to supply many in Galway along with shops. He doesn't bother anymore as they won't pay for the goods. I can assure you my father supplies his goods cheaper than anyone around including Flahertys markets.

There's a stuck up attitude with most Galway business owners & they're shooting themselves in the foot. Last year was the quietest race week I've ever seen & this year will make that look like a bonanza.

Prices of apartments for the week went up about 30-40% because they knew half of them were empty. Another thing they do is only renting from Saturday to Saturday. Most people doing the full race week will go down on the Monday until Sunday. Apartment empty for 2 days & then they hit you for an extra couple of hundred if you want to stay till Sunday.

You'd want to see how early they come around to turf people out on the Sat & Sun. It's disgusting.

Only going down for 2 nights this year & got a good deal in Flannerys hotel so happy enough.

Galway during race week should be an example to all on how to rip people off. I'll admit the craic is 2nd to none compared to wherever & whatever festival you are at in any part of the world. But instead of ripping people off & upsetting tourists, they should be putting Ireland on the map as a quality place to visit. That's not the case & the economy is going to suffer further because of it.

Enough from me. It's almost off my chest now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've stopped going last year, after being at the previous five, because it's such a rip-off. Hotels, beer, food, everything seems to have a tourist tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I've never eaten at this establishment and from reading this thread I will not in future.. A price rise from 3 euro to 3.50/4 euro I could deal with maybe, but 3 to 9 euro to me is saying 'f**k you, we don't care'....
    Shame on them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

BESman wrote: »

Dare i say it to Biko...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Make sure to complain to the manager and not the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

THis goes on in every city in the world where there is a major event on, it's not a Galway thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

these price hikes will give the place a bad name, we will lose our tourism, people will not want to come here to be fleeced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hasn't affected me but the hostel across from the Quays bar used to advertise rooms for a tenner and they were twenty two quid last week when I passed by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is Cork Jazz Festival bollickry come to Galway. These 'special' festival prices are unacceptable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Locals should get a special card to show.
    "Psst, I'm local. Don't fleece me!"

O/T: Heh, we have one of those where I am at the moment, I'm not a local at all but I work in the region and the card is so that you don't get charged the tourist tax :pac:

OP, dead right! what a chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

despite what people are saying i dont "work in the business" but i do believe in making a profit where there is profit to be made.

if some people are willing to pay the price then let them pay it, if they are not then dont pay it; but as always you should check the price before actually ordering something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

absolute cod. you were dead right to walk out, OP.

i don't know what it is about the republic that makes businesses want to charge extortionate rates on everything. i know that in sligo, this weekend, hotel prices have sky-rocketed. and whenever the Sligo rally was on, the hotel the base of operations was in, was charging close to 10 times what it normally does per room.

i could understand a little price hike, but trebling the price? that's just gonna make you lose the locals :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Any locals notice any hike in prices yet?

I have just been to a local cafe - Lynches Cafe - I ordered the same thing as I ordered three weeks ago - three weeks ago it was 3 Euro - today it was 9 Euro.

I questioned the price and was given 1.25 euro off, making it a total of 7.75 Euro. I refused to pay and walked out and won't be walking in there again. Cheek of them.

3 times the price? What were the items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

one chicken fillet (dry) and one spoon of beans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What I find comical is that for the Volvo Ocean Week there was a lot of publicity for businesses not to raise prices. Just cos it's a new thing in town I'd imagine, whereas The Races is guaranteed big crowd etc so fleecing people is okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

It sounds to me like the person who served them the first time was being very generous charging €3 for a chicken breast and beans.. It sounds quite cheap, perhaps they were using their own empathy rather than follow the employers pricing structure..

€9 is not a ridiculous price for a dinner, especially with the week that was in it, and the employer gave it for €1.50 less which was an attempt to appease you. Granted, it seems like a ridiculous price for 2 items, however i dont believe that was on the menu, it would of been a chicken breast dinner, if i went for a roast dinner and didnt like brussel sprouts and cauliflower i wouldnt expect €3 off the price.

If you put yourself in the employers position, it does not seem unreasonable, rather i think you were a victim of circumstance, and this is an extreme example.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

one chicken fillet (dry) and one spoon of beans
    I don't know which is the most bewildering.

The fact that the cafe attempted to charge €9 for this, or the fact that someone would order such a mundane meal in the first place.

It sounds to me like the person who served them the first time was being very generous charging €3 for a chicken breast and beans.. It sounds quite cheap, perhaps they were using their own empathy rather than follow the employers pricing structure..

€9 is not a ridiculous price for a dinner, especially with the week that was in it, and the employer gave it for €1.50 less which was an attempt to appease you. Granted, it seems like a ridiculous price for 2 items, however i dont believe that was on the menu, it would of been a chicken breast dinner, if i went for a roast dinner and didnt like brussel sprouts and cauliflower i wouldnt expect €3 off the price.

If you put yourself in the employers position, it does not seem unreasonable, rather i think you were a victim of circumstance, and this is an extreme example.

it was not a chicken breast - it was a chicken fillet, skinned, - you get them for 80 cent in a butcher shop. I understand your point that if it was a full main meal with everything included it would have gone for a higher price - I think their main meals are about 7.50 - 8 euro.

but my problem is that on two previous occasions I went in - the first time I had the piece of chicken with one spoon of beans for 3 Euro. The second time I had a spoon of mushrooms and spoon beans and was charged 4.50. So why was I expected to pay 9 Euro this time round. My only reason is that it must be race week.

By the way it was the manager that served me the first time, not one of the girls. Also when I questioned it yesterday the reduction was not 1.50 - it was 1.25. I would ask anyone to pay 7.75 for a spoonful of baked beans and a chicken fillet (about the size of two chicken strips). If anyone hands this amount of money over for these items then they have more money than sense.

also if you had ever been into lynches you would know that you can pick and choose anything you want from their buffet - you don't have to have a full dinner, you can have what ever you want.

Also I don't understand your comment - put yourself in the employers position. I would be embarrased to to that, with the price he wanted for what I got - especially when he had given me my lunch before and stated the prices.

Are you trying to say that because I picked a chicken fillet I should have had to get the full roast dinner - and beans on the side, and then throw away the rest of the roast dinner that I didn't want. Maybe in your world - not in mine.

it was not a chicken breast - it was a chicken fillet, skinned, - you get them for 80 cent in a butcher shop. I understand your point that if it was a full main meal with everything included it would have gone for a higher price - I think their main meals are about 7.50 - 8 euro.

but my problem is that on two previous occasions I went in - the first time I had the piece of chicken with one spoon of beans for 3 Euro. The second time I had a spoon of mushrooms and spoon beans and was charged 4.50. So why was I expected to pay 9 Euro this time round. My only reason is that it must be race week.

By the way it was the manager that served me the first time, not one of the girls. Also when I questioned it yesterday the reduction was not 1.50 - it was 1.25. I would ask anyone to pay 7.75 for a spoonful of baked beans and a chicken fillet (about the size of two chicken strips). If anyone hands this amount of money over for these items then they have more money than sense.

also if you had ever been into lynches you would know that you can pick and choose anything you want from their buffet - you don't have to have a full dinner, you can have what ever you want.

Also I don't understand your comment - put yourself in the employers position. I would be embarrased to to that, with the price he wanted for what I got - especially when he had given me my lunch before and stated the prices.

Are you trying to say that because I picked a chicken fillet I should have had to get the full roast dinner - and beans on the side, and then throw away the rest of the roast dinner that I didn't want. Maybe in your world - not in mine.

Well then im afraid you dont live in the real world.. Take a kebab, if you choose onions and lettuce, but dont want sauce, do you expect money off?

Seriously? Because that is literally the same thing

Well then im afraid you dont live in the real world.. Take a kebab, if you choose onions and lettuce, but dont want sauce, do you expect money off?

I didn't ask for a roast dinner tho, and to hold everything on it except a chicken fillet. I asked for a piece of chicken and some beans - which is a million miles away from a roast dinner. If I wanted sausage and beans would I have had to have gotten the rashers, puddings, egg, tomato, with that too? Are you saying that I should have got a roast dinner so I could just eat the chicken - thats like a vegetarian asking for a plate of spuds and veg and being told they must have a roast dinner and thats that.

I don't think its me not living in the real world tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

No it's not, not if you're ordering from a buffet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ah come off it it's nothing like the same thing. If you want to compare like with like in your example it would be like not having gravy with his dinner. If the place charges per item like the OP states then its not that hard to get your head round it.

Stop trying to create a argument out of nothing and fair play to the OP for coming on here to highlight it.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Ah come off it it's nothing like the same thing. If you want to compare like with like in your example it would be like not having gravy with his dinner. If the place charges per item like the OP states then its not that hard to get your head round it.

Stop trying to create a argument out of nothing and fair play to the OP for coming on here to highlight it.

I highly doubt anywhere charges per Item. it's not a buffet.

If it is, i apologise. But i still maintain unless its a buffet, im in the right

• Registered Users Posts: 68,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Locals should get a special card to show.
    "Psst, I'm local. Don't fleece me!"

A service provider back home (not naming who just in case) actually HAS produced "locals cards" so they can get their discount off temporary/new staff that might not know them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I highly doubt anywhere charges per Item. it's not a buffet.

If it is, i apologise. But i still maintain unless its a buffet, im in the right
    Plenty of places charge by the item, maybe you should get out more. A lot of Airport restaurants operate this way also

• Advertisement

here the world as tony knows it (try not to laugh)

Tony walks into a kebab shop

Tony: Can I have a Kebab please

Kebab Man: Yes of course, that will be twelve Euros

Tony: Why so dear, I just want a kebab, nothing else - I got a
    kebab here last week for seven euro

Kebab Man: Oh no sir, this is race week you must get the full kebab
    meal, with fries and a fizzy drink

Tony: But I don't like fries or fizzy drinks I just want a kebab

Kebab Man: ok, I won't give you fries and a drink and I will take 20 cent
    from the price - that will be 11.80 for the kebab tony

Tony: sounds reasonable - I'll take it

tony walks out of the kebab shop and kebab man jokes to his friends about how easy it is to fleece eejits.

the end. :D

also Tony, I suggest you actually go into Lynches and see what the layout is before you try to defend the hike in price this week.

Kebab Man

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement