Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone experienced being "fleeced" yet during Race Week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Egg on my face

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Lapin wrote: »
    I don't know which is the most bewildering.
    The fact that the cafe attempted to charge €9 for this, or the fact that someone would order such a mundane meal in the first place.

Look, it really annoys me that the chicken fillet and a scoop of beans cost €9, but that someone would order this (!) and then have the energy to go on about it annoys me more, it is perhaps not rational but it really does. I would have thought you need to eat more then that to have such energy.

Chicken is obviously something Galwegians are very passionate about (the KFC thread...classic)

Also, spare some thought for the poor chicken. Imagine how rejected that overpriced chicken felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Will someone please think of the chicklets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

swe_fi wrote: »
    Look, it really annoys me that the chicken fillet and a scoop of beans cost €9, but that someone would order this (!) and then have the energy to go on about it annoys me more, it is perhaps not rational but it really does. I would have thought you need to eat more then that to have such energy.

Chicken is obviously something Galwegians are very passionate about (the KFC thread...classic)

Also, spare some thought for the poor chicken. Imagine how rejected that overpriced chicken felt.
    I know of a bride that had chips and beans on her wedding day, are you saying that people don't have a right to eat what they want. I think they should

It's like giving out to a junkie for only taking heroin when he could also have mixed in coke to give him more energy while he is on the gear. Ridiculous notion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

swe_fi wrote: »

I did spare a thought for the chicken - i throw it back into the pen :D

I'd hate to see what you would have for your lunch if you thought that was a meagre lunch. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It's like giving out to a junkie for only taking heroin when he could also have mixed in coke to give him more energy while he is on the gear.

No its not.
    And you know its not.
    Stop being silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A friend of mine is a farmer and he had 3 sheep fleeced this week....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd hate to see what you would have for your lunch if you thought that was a meagre lunch. :D

A piece of breaded chicken and a spoonful of beans hardly constitutes what most people would regard as lunch. Let alone the makings of a balanced diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

A piece of breaded chicken and a spoonful of beans hardly constitutes what most people would regard as lunch. Let alone the makings of a balanced diet.

well for €3 I'd be happy with it for a snack/lunch to get me thru my day at work

I've ate worse daily and spent more money while I was at it too

fair play op

if it was me I would have been livid with the guy, really hating this town and the country more and more with each passing day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 AssertiveAction

A Pint at the races is 500ml €4.20 not 568ml the correct Pint measure. This is all most 12% less and is just mean and will really p-off the British tourists.

What is welcoming about Irish people any chance to rip somebody off they take it. And tourists are beginning to know it and avoid this country. Or is this us just becoming more European that eventually we will no longer serve the traditional pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I know of a bride that had chips and beans on her wedding day, are you saying that people don't have a right to eat what they want. I think they should

It's like giving out to a junkie for only taking heroin when he could also have mixed in coke to give him more energy while he is on the gear. Ridiculous notion

I think everyone should eat what they want, but I can still find it (very) strange. I am probably biased though because I hate beans. Your junkie point does make sense apart from the fact that heroinists are not really that open to criticism i find.

And trust me, I would have loved to have been at that wedding.

Does anyone know by how much pubs in general raise the price of beer / booze during this week, or do they at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

he never mentioned he didnt eat it..apart from the second post.

a business has the right to change their prices when and how they please.
    If they believe people are willing to pay the price they set then so be it.

No everyone is going to like it

Actually, it's against the law, a lot of pubs have been busted and fined in Galway for doing this during the races, and pubs in Dublin during an international match. Inspectors are sent around to check before and after big events.

This does not apply to hotel rooms however. They can legally fluxuate with demand (hight season and so on)

Dolphin could report them, I'm not sure who the agency is that does this, it could be a state sponsered consumer rights body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

WTF?

Where the hell did that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

No its not.
    And you know its not.
    Stop being silly.

What bloody right does Swe_Fi have to tell the OP what he should and shouldn't eat, none what so ever. I just quoted a similar example

WTF?

Where the hell did that come from?

See above

ok, I'll go for an extra large mcdonalds double cheesburger meal next time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

actually, I think a chicken fillet (no mention of it having been breaded) and a spoonful of (what I assume are) green beans is a perfectly fine, balanced, light lunch. It's around 200-250 calories, high in protein, low in fat, with some complex carbs from the beans, throw in a piece of fruit for desert and it's perfect, nutritionally, if bland.

It can be difficult to eat healthily when out, nevermind when on a budget. I think the OP had a pretty good solution going here, until the price was tripled on him.

Fair play for him for walking out, and fair play for eating such healthy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stick some tabasco or jalapeno sauce on top for extra kick, doesn't have any fat or calories.

yes, I thought so too guys - it was actually baked beans not green beans, so there wasn't even any cooking on them - just dumped into the serving dish :D
    i thought it was quite a balanced lunch myself - some low calorie protein and some beans which are quite healthy compared to other fibres and can fill you up for quite a while.

And after all it was just lunch - if you eat three balanced meals per day, this is more than enough for lunch.

biko wrote: »
    Stick some tabasco or jalapeno sauce on top for extra kick, doesn't have any fat or calories.

chilli flakes in the beans is my trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ooh, must try that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Bravo to the OP!

It's great to see someone saying a big fat NO to being blatantly ripped off.

GO YOU!

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Megatron_X

I think the price of the races bus is a bit over the top. I decided to get the 3 instead of the races coach (€3.20 versus €9 return).

I didn't think the short walk to the side entrance from Briarhill was worth an extra €5.80... and I could be very wrong but I couldn't see any coaches leaving the race course during the day, which gives me much more flexibility if I want to leave early with the 3 or 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Good man OP. Fair fecks to ya. This sort of thing should be on the front of the Galway Advertiser, along side a story of the pints not being 568ml. "Welcome to BallyRIPOff!"

It would be a good idea to set up a sub page on Rip Off Ireland's website with the price list from all local bars, restaurants and hotels prior to the races and then during the races.

This sort of thing is ridiculous and it's just one item on a huge long list of things that is wrong with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Galway can be one big rip off. I have just bought a new item from a main supplier via ebay. The supplier was selling the item for £7. Exactly the same item is in a Galway shop at €40.

Instead of trying to cream it from festivals Galway businesses should look at providing decent good & services at a reasonable price to any person & at any time of the year.

If I were a tourist in Galway I would get seriously upset at finding that locals get a discount & tourists get a rip off. Ireland's reputation is in tatters. We need to be building it up not making it worse.

Btw well done OP !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    If I were a tourist in Galway I would get seriously upset at finding that locals get a discount & tourists get a rip off.

I've been a tourist (in Galway and elsewhere),and I pretty much expect that I'm (well was) a cash-cow, and that businesses will have ways of giving locals local prices.

They might not actually advertise a "local" price, but here are ways and means: where I come from, there's a cable-car that is both a tourist attraction and a massively-easier-than-walking way to get the university. Ten-trip tickets were LOT cheaper than ten times the price of a single ride. In some cities, showing your library card gets you a BIG discount at various city council (etc) facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

we do this all the time, funkin delicious :p

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Sounds like an explosive mix!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

So Is "Lynches Cafe" the ONLY place then?

yes I am sure there are other examples - anyone care to share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Megatron_X wrote: »
    I think the price of the races bus is a bit over the top. I decided to get the 3 instead of the races coach (€3.20 versus €9 return).

I didn't think the short walk to the side entrance from Briarhill was worth an extra €5.80... and I could be very wrong but I couldn't see any coaches leaving the race course during the day, which gives me much more flexibility if I want to leave early with the 3 or 9.

It's 9 EURO FOR THE RACES BUS? What an utter rip off. That's TERRIBLE. Should be 4 MAX.

just checked on-line 9euro return - 5euro single. Still a rip off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement