Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone experienced being "fleeced" yet during Race Week

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It's 9 EURO FOR THE RACES BUS? What an utter rip off. That's TERRIBLE. Should be 4 MAX.

just checked on-line 9euro return - 5euro single. Still a rip off.

I thought the race buses where free? Paid for by the entry ticket price.

9 euro is a joke, you can go to Dublin for nearly that amount.

Actually never have taken one, I used to drive the family in, when I had to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

9 euro is a joke, you can go to Dublin for nearly that amount.

You could go to Dublin, back to Galway, down to Shannon, back to Galway, down to Cork, back to Galway, then back over to Dublin again and back to Galway and still have €1 change....

(if you book in good time with Citylink!)

They should sell Races tickets at Park & Rides and the price include the return bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It was cheaper for 5 people to get a taxi to the races than all paying 5euro each way to the races yesterday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A pint in Quay street and High Street ( on the street) is certainly not a proper pint.

The plastic cups I saw are all 500ml not 568ml and that is before you start counting the warm sloppy large head on the porter. I dunno what they were at futher down in Dominic street, maybe they had genuine pints down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I was expecting it to be much more expensive the way people were going on. The bus was a rip off we got a taxi to the front door cost €14. We didn't pay more than a fiver for a drink, Tuesday we went into a night club free in free shot and double vodka a can of red bull for a fiver.

Only thing that I thought was expensive which wasn't really that bad was sausage beans and chips for €8.80 at the track. I will defo be back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I was expecting it to be much more expensive the way people were going on. The bus was a rip off we got a taxi to the front door cost €14. We didn't pay more than a fiver for a drink, Tuesday we went into a night club free in free shot and double vodka a can of red bull for a fiver.

Only thing that I thought was expensive which wasn't really that bad was sausage beans and chips for €8.80 at the track. I will defo be back.

At least you got a few chips with your beans!
    Not like the person who opened this thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Lapin wrote: »
    At least you got a few chips with your beans!
    Not like the person who opened this thread;)

Exactly positives to everything lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

foto joe wrote: »
    They should sell Races tickets at Park & Rides and the price include the return bus.

They should have some park and rides to start with! Ok there is one in Limerick, but I'm not sure that anyone's running buses from there to Ballybrit, though.

Google indexing hasn't been kind to Bus Éireann's press-release about the races bus service, so my site's been getting a lot of search traffic this week. A lot of people have been searching for buses to the races from towns around Galway. It seems mad that we make them come all the way in to town in order to get a bus to the racecourse, especially with the increase in day-trip visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

paid 6 quid for the bus one way tonight, awful rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

was in Mcswiggans on monday and they charged me 3euro for a guinness. special offer on mondays?
    a certain restaurant in clarinridge used to charge 10 Euro for seafood chowder during raceweek. not sure if the the price has normalised.
    how much is the pint in the plastic glass on quay street this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

was in Mcswiggans on monday and they charged me 3euro for a guinness. special offer on mondays?

They often do nice drink deals in there. Remember seeing a sign up there a couple weeks ago advertising 3E Guinness for Race week. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I think McSwiggans had all pints €3 Monday and Tuesday.

Park & Ride from Raheen Woods Hotel Athenry All week to races.

I think McSwiggans had all pints €3 Monday and Tuesday.

according to the Sunday Times the Spannish Arch Hotel and the G jacked up their prices by as much as 160 euro.

!!!

They kept that quiet: a bit of advertising and they'd have made a fortune methinks.

There was signs all over Athenry about it.

There was signs all over Athenry about it.

Ahh, locals-only marketing. Gotta love it.

You'd hardly travel out from Galway to Athenry to get a bus back into Galway, people from that direction would nbe aware of it.

It was probably only one bus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

despite what people are saying i dont "work in the business" but i do believe in making a profit where there is profit to be made.

if some people are willing to pay the price then let them pay it, if they are not then dont pay it; but as always you should check the price before actually ordering something.
    that is fair enough but i dont want to see buy local or support your local shop or lose them posters the week after the races,look after your regulars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fuinseog wrote: »
    according to the Sunday Times the Spannish Arch Hotel and the G jacked up their prices by as much as 160 euro.

Is that all?
    Recession must be keeping prices down

The G used to charge 8 euro for an erdinger and 6 euro for a guinness. i wonder what they charge these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A pint in Quay street and High Street ( on the street) is certainly not a proper pint.

The plastic cups I saw are all 500ml not 568ml and that is before you start counting the warm sloppy large head on the porter. I dunno what they were at futher down in Dominic street, maybe they had genuine pints down there.

They always do.
    It never ceases to amaze me that people are willing to queue up and pay over the odds for drinks in plastic glasses while being crammed in like sardines around Quay Street, when a few yards away on the other side of the river you can enjoy a proper drink in comfort in and around Dominic Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Lapin wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that people are willing to queue up and pay over the odds for drinks in plastic glasses while being crammed in like sardines around Quay Street, when a few yards away on the other side of the river you can enjoy a proper drink in comfort in and around Dominic Street.
    How was Dominic Street this week?

Meant to venture down there, but I forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

A lot quieter. I ended up staying there as Quay street on Thursday night was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rebel105

The bus was the most extortionate thing I came across to be honest. Five euro to go back into town was just mad, especially when we had to queue for over an hour to get on the blasted thing! (and their organisation of the queue was pathetic, skipping left, right and centre, but that's for another thread I suppose!)

We (four of us) were there for two nights, and were looking at hostels first but it would have been €100 each for a hostel for two nights which seemed like a total rip-off, whereas we rented an apt in Gleann na Rí for 3 nights (we only stayed for two but the deal was for three) for €350 or €87.50 each, which I thought was pretty good really.

Got a taxi to Ballybrit with Fixed Fare taxis for €12 which was unreal cos we were stuck in traffic for nearly half an hour and ate in Artisan on Quay Street, got a beautiful main course for €14 which I don't think was inflated at all.

All in all though, it was pretty good apart from Bus Eireann's mad prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

You'd hardly travel out from Galway to Athenry to get a bus back into Galway, people from that direction would nbe aware of it.

If i lived on the east side of the city but not close to the course i would. It's only a 10 minute drive to Athenry from around GMIT area.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

So pretty much the only issue with rip-offs in Galway was with a state body (Bus Éireann) and one person who had a bad experience in Lynch's Cafe? They were doing Breakfast for €6.50 and had specials advertised outside for Race week which I can't recall but seemed reasonable.
    Seems like Galway has copped on to the Race Week Rip Off. Used to be the case that Race Week was the week that kept a lot of businesses going through September-November which are traditionally quiet enough.
    Maybe we'll see a lot of places close after the Summer.

'Tis not only Galway people who go to the races: a well-organised P&R (with more than one bus ;) ) out that way somewhere could cut down a LOT of traffic from the south/east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

.............for the first time ever in a bar, got charged for the shot of lime my OH takes in a Carlsberg (50c x lime in a pint and 50c x lime in a glass = €1total).

Obviously they're supplying you less lager when having to add lime, but no reduction shown there:o.

Either way, it was a very stupid €1 "squeeze" by The Oslo tonight, as we had eaten a family meal there weekly. Even praised them on value and quality in a previous thread.

Will vote with our feet from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Fuinseog wrote: »

McSwiggan's always has Guinness at €3. It's been like that for a couple of years now at least.

IMO it's one of the few establishments offering quality food and value for money. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is from 2010 and as we have another current overcharging thread for this year I'm closing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement