Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Sonic Boom Six

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

First one is ok but the second one is .....well not good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I like shooting gigs in general , the more I like the music the better the pics. I thinks its harder to shoot something if youre not into it....just a thought.

1st one is the better of the two - composition seems a little strange were these shot with a fixed prime?

This is the pic of the bunch for me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melekalikimaka/4826729290/in/set-72157624577140582/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If I had to listen to a band like that live then I think gig photography would lose it's appeal for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I was at the gig as well. Photo'd all the bands on the night, but only did a few of Sonic Boom Six, although they're very easy to photograph since they're such an animated band.

What people said is true, it's very hard to photograph a band if you're not into the music.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Jim wrote: »

What people said is true, it's very hard to photograph a band if you're not into the music.

didnt help her mic died.

the second pic is possible the worst technically from the set, I dont know what i like about it, the whole gig shooting scene is really failing me, I shoot the odd band now, only bands i wanna see, I guess i'm moving on...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Jim wrote: »

I don't see how. You just gotta know your marks, really. Who's the lead singer? And what do they do that's unusual in the first three songs? What's their public image. Is there anything visually appealing about them? etc.

I havn't liiked a lot of bands I've shot live and would say my inclination towards thier music makes little difference at all, if any.

Anyway, OP, great first shot. Nice and sharp and unusual colours, but the second one is not great. It's interesting, no doubt, but you can't see the face and it's a bit cluttered.

Get onto ISHOOTSHOWS.com for inspiration if you need any to get back into gigs. Todd is a legend. Great live shots and gives great general tips too (how to get passes, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Trev M wrote: »
    I like shooting gigs in general , the more I like the music the better the pics.
    I've turned down money/work because of this attitude!

I can only shoot what I am into...

mehfesto wrote: »
    I don't see how. You just gotta know your marks, really. Who's the lead singer? And what do they do that's unusual in the first three songs? What's their public image. Is there anything visually appealing about them? etc.

I havn't liiked a lot of bands I've shot live and would say my inclination towards thier music makes little difference at all, if any.

I and you are 100% different in our views on this subject, If I love the music I can shoot it blindfolded, like if u know ur sports u can predict every little habit and drum roll.....:D

Yeah, but if you get 'too into it' you're not really photographing what needs to be shot rather than shooting what you want to! 'Suppose it depends why you're there (at the gig).

But at the end of the day, the band will still do the same things, under the same lights to the same crowd whether you like them or not. All you gotta do is shoot!

We remain far part my friend, very.
    Think of a labour of love, how could I shoot a Lady Gaga or a Pink gig with a love and passion, I could shoot it but I couldn;t shoot it to my 100% ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Shouldn't matter who it is, you still try your best.

First image is nice, second ... Seen much better from OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I've turned down money/work because of this attitude!

I can only shoot what I am into...

i used to be like mefesto

for once i agree with ya ah, i realised its a business i dont enjoy, got into it in a big way for years, now its a passing hobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I think it is easier to shoot a band you like, you should be fine shooting any band once you know the main players, and recognise when the tamer ones come out of their shells.

When you respect your subject you are going to give them more attention obviously which is why my Slash pics would be among the best of any of my gig pics but I have pics of other bands that I just wasnt into at all also.

I think after a time the appeal becomes less and less with music and I do need to take some time out to refresh my desire for it.

Definitely the first one here for me, the second doesnt do anything for me Im afraid as the whole face is blocked.

Shouldn't matter who it is, you still try your best.

By our standards here best is not good enough, quality rather than quantity is the way IMO.

Sorry man, but that doesn't make sense. Best = quality, quantity doesn't matter, you're right there.

Sorry man, but that doesn't make sense. Best = quality, quantity doesn't matter, you're right there.

i think he means doing 5 gigs where you can give it your all is better than doing 20 where your performing sub standard

Ah righty, just don't accept jobs you're not willing to give your best to then? I have never done paid work, but if and when I do, it'll be because I want to do it as much as the moolah!>

Ah righty, just don't accept jobs you're not willing to give your best to then? I have never done paid work, but if and when I do, it'll be because I want to do it as much as the moolah!>

ya say that now... it gets hard when ya loss the gig mojo tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

trying to kill thread derail.

mele, neither of these appeal to me. Mainly because the main subject in both pictures fails to command sufficient attention for me. I like the bnw conversion in (2) but the subject could be arguing the toss in a back kitchen for all I know she's a singer and the angle of the shadow across her face kills the photo dead in my view. The first one feels off balance - top heavy on the left in my view and too close to the left hand edge leaving the feeling that a bit of print bleed would kill the photograph in paper form.

Calina wrote: »
    trying to kill thread derail.

We don't need a 'gig photography' thread now aswell, do we?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement