Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursery Furniture

Options
  • 27-07-2010 2:37pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any good tips on where to buy nice reasonably priced furniture for the nursery?

Other than the obvious Ikea, Atlantic, Argos etc..

I'm particularly looking for a nursing chair and some sort of storage unit for the babies clothes..

Preferably somewhere that we can go into as opposed to shopping online..

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We got our cot and nursing chair from kiddicare.com was 189 pounds for the cot,the mattress,the reclining feeding chair and the cot came with a free duvet and bumper.
    I got the changing table from the forsale section of rollercoaster.ie.

Euro baby often have nice changing units as do mothercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We got all of our nursery furniture in Mothercare. We attended one of the info evenings and got a 10% discount so we saved a packet. Its good quality solid pine furniture and delivery was only 10 Euro.

There are lovely cots and changing units in Smyths too. Carrickmines have a good selection.

M&S have gorgeous furniture but its very expensive!

I wasn't impressed with the nursery stuff in Ikea. Very cheap but not very pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ive found Tony Kealys in Coolock to be a good walk in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If you want a nursery chair - spend the extra few quid and get one with a recline feature.
    Most brands have an intro model that is just your basic gliding chair with footstool - but then have the reclining model for a few quid more.
    Well worth it - they're so comfortable.

Got our nursing chair in Smyths for 150 with recline and rocking foot stool.

It was cheaper than the Mothercare one and probably more comfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes you definately need one that reclines,one that swivels is good too, and with a rocking foot stool and I recommend not getting a fabric one and getting one that you can wipe clean.
    This one is pretty similar to mine - http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_0_10751_-1__100829_10001_

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Probably a stupid question but is a nursing chair necessary? Can the baby not be (breast)fed on the sofa or the bed, or is it way better somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

NextSteps wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but is a nursing chair necessary? Can the baby not be (breast)fed on the sofa or the bed, or is it way better somehow?

no not necessary at all. I have a 5 month old now who was breastfed on a variety of furniture :-)
    Nursing chairs are just very comfy and if you have some extra cash floating around - why not? I didn't so did without.

nope not at all necessary,just nice to have:)

Definately not necessary! I bought one as when I was preggers we had a really low sofa and I was having awful trouble getting my big bum up off of it!

I did use the chair for nursing quite a bit, but used the bed alot too! I found that once Megan got a bit long we were a bit cramped in the nursing chair.

I ALWAYS wanted a rocking chair so it was a great excuse to get one. Its now sat in the corner of the bedroom with a pretty crochet blanket that my nanny made draped over the back... and the rest is covered in clothes etc...

We have a futon in Megans room which we sit on for feeding her if she wakes in the night for a feed, and also for her last bottle before bed and for her story. If we didn't have the futon, the rocking chair would be getting used for this, so if you did get one, I'm sure it would come in useful as a nursery chair when babs goes into their own room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

we got our stuff on gumtree.ie and adverts.ie
    second hand but I always made sure they are in good condition and clean.
    got chest of drawers, changing unit, bathing unit, pram etc.
    no point of spending thousands when the baby grows so fast. My son was born big and half of the clothes were too small already.
    :)

Advertisement