Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thrills

Options
  • 27-07-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys, just wondering does anybody know what's happened to The Thrills, where are they now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

prelude11 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering does anybody know what's happened to The Thrills, where are they now?

Last I heard Corey Haim was asking "Whatever happened to the Thrills?".

Their career appears as dead as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Apparently their most recent album only sold something like 700 copies and they got promptly dumped by their label. They were fúcking diabolical though, haven't a clue how they ever had any success.

Worst accents ever. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I saw a copy of their So Much For The City album once which had a good bit of the front cover taken up with a big anti-piracy message from their record company once.

Rock and/or Roll guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Yeah, I heard they were dropped by their label. I really liked them though, wish I saw them before they seem to have disappeared....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

The Thrills?

Who cares? ;)

They should fall under 'craptacular'.

Horrendous music and a pretentious bunch of....

Yeah I'm not a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

isn't there a conor deasy playing around Dublin as a solo artist? Is it a different guy altogther?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

****ing joke of a band. Fake american accents, see through Beach Boys/Byrds copycats. Have a mate who went to school with a few of them and he said they were so up their own arses it was unreal.

I remember once they supported the Chili Peppers in the Phoenix Park and I walked in as slow as possible so they would be finished by the time I got in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ok this is going nowhere. If anyone wants to reply to the OP do so. No more thrills bashing for the sake of it. If this just keeps going the thread'll have to be locked.

amazing the way they get slaughtered for singing in American accents. It wouldn't be my thing at all. They did have a few catchy riffs though, I think it's the accent that was their downfall, though you hear so many fake American accents these days around the town, you'd wonder are they really that far off the mark, seeing as every teenage girl these days thinks they are on an episode of the hills....
    still, you would have thought they had enough of a profile to have a shot at some solo stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CortezTheKiller

When the Thrills are mentioned I always have the mental image of the 'Gift Grub' Thrills.

Check them out on TodayFM if you haven't heard them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

the finest J1 MOR band this country has produced...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

punchdrunk wrote: »
    the finest J1 MOR band this country has produced...

The Coronas are hot on their heels!!

There are no updates on wiki.
    Their .com site no longer works.
    The myspace hasn't had a blog message since 2008.

This can only mean they are working on a Prog Opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

It's an oldie, but a goodie!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

The thrills are on hiatus. Doubtful we'll hear from them again. One album wonder i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The Thrills muhahahahahahahahaha images%3Fq%3Dfonz&usg=__RXr1OLilzHzTM-LAtknZKMarFbY=&sa=X&ei=FAlRTOTPMYqy0gTimciRBw&ved=0CCoQ9QEwAw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I think I'll stick my neck out and say I actually like the Thrills, absolutely despised them when the came out and couldn't hack the singer. But over the years I really come to like them, some great tunes and some good lyrics. Not bad at all in my opinion and better than an awful lot of shíte out there at the moment.

I think the problem was that they were too easy to ridicule and so they were doomed. But I still am very fond of songs like 'Not for all the love in the world' and 'Santa Cruz'. I don't know if they are assholes nor do I really. I'm sure a lot of people I listen to are insufferable but that's okay because I don't have to talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

There were far from the worst band. I'd still listen to a lot of their stuff form the first 2 albums. Fake American accents - most certainly, but hardly uncommon in Ireland is it?

Pretentious? I don't know...I met them a couple of times and they were quiet but seemed grand...didn't know them personally so can't really comment...unlike other folk.

They had some great pop songs and they played some great gigs (Olympia at xmas was a fantastic gig) and lived the dream for a few years, so fair f*cks to them.

It's clear they were going to pot after they released the stuff from their third album, it was awful. Doubt we'll hear from them again, who knows.

Christ if people put so much energy into doing things, than being cynical, this country would be a lot better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I don't know if they are assholes nor do I really. I'm sure a lot of people I listen to are insufferable but that's okay because I don't have to talk to them.

exactly.

I wouldn't fancy going for a pint with Morrissey, nor would I enjoy hearing Thom Yorke sh*ting on about how we're killing the earth for 5 hours.

Music is listened to, I feel ike too many people get distracted by the people that make it. Though I'm guilty of it myself I admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Seen them when they played before the pixies in the phoenix park. They were actually pretty good from what i remember of that drunken sunburnt day.They were dressed like idiots but i could see past that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

I think I'll stick my neck out and say I actually like the Thrills, absolutely despised them when the came out and couldn't hack the singer. But over the years I really come to like them, some great tunes and some good lyrics. Not bad at all in my opinion and better than an awful lot of shíte out there at the moment.

I think the problem was that they were too easy to ridicule and so they were doomed. But I still am very fond of songs like 'Not for all the love in the world' and 'Santa Cruz'. I don't know if they are assholes nor do I really. I'm sure a lot of people I listen to are insufferable but that's okay because I don't have to talk to them.

So much for the city is a great summer record, i think a lot of people hated them in this country cause they were either trying to be amercian or They were too posh. I think cause Paul weller, Bono, morrissey etc were talking them up along with NME they were a tad over rated by the Press. Plus i think they released the second album which wasn't great although they did improve on the third record there time had passed.

I remember two of their singles getting to number one here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

saw them supporting beck in the point a few years back, they sounded good although they didnt move around a lot, just kinda stood there lookin 'pretty vacant & the set was a bit short even for a support slot, good bunch o lads all the same, fair play all rounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 krapp

So much for the city is a great summer record ...

And 7 summers on it's holding up well. I've never understood the American accent complaint, what Irish rock and roller worth their salt hasn't sang in an American, or at least a mid-Atlantic accent? Jinx Lennon, Damien Dempsey, the bird that sang To Ramona on the Beat Box, or the Northern one? Give me a break. Ok, Jinx is all right.

Speaking of the Beat Box, well kind of, I've been wracking my brain trying to think of the name of another Americana-influenced Dublin lo-fi-ish band that were doing well in the mid to late 90s, can anyone help? By doing well, I mean they used to have one of their videos played quite a bit on No Disco (first incarnation, with DD); all I can remember about the video is that the guys were driving around Dublin in a big (Cadillac?) convertible, wistfully singing their hit, my memory of which is even more vague (I was only a little fella). Maybe it was U2 (it wasn't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

krapp wrote: »
    Speaking of the Beat Box, well kind of, I've been wracking my brain trying to think of the name of another Americana-influenced Dublin lo-fi-ish band that were doing well in the mid to late 90s, can anyone help? By doing well, I mean they used to have one of their videos played quite a bit on No Disco (first incarnation, with DD); all I can remember about the video is that the guys were driving around Dublin in a big (Cadillac?) convertible, wistfully singing their hit, my memory of which is even more vague (I was only a little fella). Maybe it was U2 (it wasn't).

That rings a bell - it could have been The Plague Monkeys.

That rings a bell - it could have been The Plague Monkeys.

I've just had a look at some of their stuff on youtube and I don't think so, Jeff -- but thanks, they're not bad at all. As far as I can remember it was a male singer, there were four or five lads in the band, it may have been shot on super 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

krapp wrote: »
    I've just had a look at some of their stuff on youtube and I don't think so, Jeff -- but thanks, they're not bad at all. As far as I can remember it was a male singer, there were four or five lads in the band, it may have been shot on super 8.

Jubilee Allstars

That's it! What ever became of them? I've just listened to their other singles on youtube, nice Flying Nun-style jangling. They're as good as I remember, great band, I'd love to hear more of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I think the problem was that they were too easy to ridicule and so they were doomed.

100% agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The Coronas are hot on their heels!!

There are no updates on wiki.
    Their .com site no longer works.
    The myspace hasn't had a blog message since 2008.

This can only mean they are working on a Prog Opera.
    Hahahahaa!!!!

I think it's the American accents. We would ridicule an American band who sang in an Irish accent. It's just phoney....

kind of like the starsailor song "there's a fever on the freeway..."/ ah, you're from wigan lads....

although there are so many teenage girls going around with fake american accents these days trying to be something off MTV, maybe the thrills were ahead of their time!

I admire bands who sing in their own accents, such as whipping boy, the cranberries, therapy, idlewild, hell, even oasis. you are from where you are from...
    musically the thrills had some good tunes....

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    I think it's the American accents. We would ridicule an American band who sang in an Irish accent. It's just phoney....

Not American, but what about Shane MacGowan :pac:
    seachto7 wrote: »
    kind of like the starsailor song "there's a fever on the freeway..."/ ah, you're from wigan lads....

although there are so many teenage girls going around with fake american accents these days trying to be something off MTV, maybe the thrills were ahead of their time!

I admire bands who sing in their own accents, such as whipping boy, the cranberries, therapy, idlewild, hell, even oasis. you are from where you are from...
    musically the thrills had some good tunes....

The Starsailor thing, yeah, I agree with you, you should sing about what you know, but the mid-Atlantic singing voice has been around a lot longer than the Thrills (though, admittedly, Conor Deasy lays it on pretty thick, I'm sure I've seen him in interview mention that his mother is American, but that's beside the point). The pop song is an American phenomenon, it's little wonder then that singers this side of the Atlantic (The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Thin Lzzy, eh, Joe Dolan and so on ad infinitum) sang or sing in what we might consider an American accent. It's become the de facto neutral singing voice for pop/rock across the anglophone world, singing in a regional accent is the exception rather than the rule, a bit like the standard haughty, but neutral, operatic voice in opera -- when was the last time you heard the Ring cycle sung in Manc? Punk was a reaction against that (and everything else), I suppose, but not before long the new wavers were singing in neutral accents again ... and Shane MacGowan began singing in an Irish accent.

Advertisement