Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountian Bike recommendations

• 27-07-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking for an entry level mountain bike (hard tail) for around the E750 (max) price range, as I am keen to get involved in the sport but don't want to break the bank. Could any helpful folk out there provide me with some recommendations in this price range, or is this too small a budget to get something decent. Unfortunately I don't qualify for the cycle to work scheme, which makes me sad :(

If anyone out there could provide some recommendations of reasonable bikes to suit my meager budget or at least point me in the direction of some reputable suppliers where I could get info it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

skerry wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for an entry level mountain bike (hard tail) for around the E750 (max) price range, as I am keen to get involved in the sport but don't want to break the bank. Could any helpful folk out there provide me with some recommendations in this price range, or is this too small a budget to get something decent. Unfortunately I don't qualify for the cycle to work scheme, which makes me sad :(

If anyone out there could provide some recommendations of reasonable bikes to suit my meager budget or at least point me in the direction of some reputable suppliers where I could get info it would be greatly appreciated.

This looks pretty good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey Man,

If your are looking for a good value hardtail you could do allot worse than the Lapierre Tecnic 400 they com in around the €640 mark and are a good solid bike that go well.

0240.jpg

They also look pretty which you know matters to.

If you needed a further vote of confidence I know www.trackandtrail.ie just got a brand new fleet of these bikes for their courses and they are not the only commercial operator to put their faith in these bikes.

Well worth a look and see what you think, available at anywhere that stocks Lapierre I suppose. Or even drop tracn and trail a line and see can you rent a bike for the weekend to see if you like / could live with it on the trails.

I'll also say to you what was passed on to me buying a MTB, your best of go for a good value hardtail than a junker Full Sus for your first bike.

Best of luck,

Adrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Thanks for the input guys, seriously didn't know where to start looking. Was gearing towards the Focus Killer Bee but on second look the Felt Q900 seems (judging by my limited knowledge) to have better components for the most part, apart from not having disc brakes. Are these something I could add later on or would they be essential from the start. Also its down from €1050 to €635 as opposed to €935 to €795 on the Killer Bee. Seems like more bike for the price. The Tecnic 400 is a lovely looking bike too was just wondering if the Rockshox Tora SL's would be better forks than the Suntour XCR's??

Anyone care to give a more educated opinion than my own on the best of the 3 bikes.

Thanks again !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey man,

There are folks out there with way more knowledge on this than me but I wouldn't be going anywhere without out hydraulic disc brakes. They make you stop better than anything else in all conditions FACT, they can be added as an aftermarket upgrade once your front forks have the mounts.

As for which shock is better, Rockshox would be the more established brand but at these level I would think there is a much of a muchness in performance. That more a guess than anything else, I did a quick google there and the Suntours seem to be coming out on top.

I had a quick spin on the Technic 400 on Sunday and to be honest was well impressed how well it measured up to my own bike, even giving the fact I'm not a hard tail fan.

Best of luck with what ever you choose.

Adrian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I bought a trek 6000 this year, RRP is about 879 Euro but can be picked up around 800 Euro. A nice allround bike and have had some good fun on MTB tracks this summer.The reviews are good too.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/6_series/6000/

woops, I hadn't spotted that the Felt didn't have disc brakes, thats probably why its so heavily discounted. I don't know enough about mountain bikes to recommend it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

For that price range, probably the best bike you can get is a Merlin Malt
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Merlin+Bikes/Merlin+Malt+1+Bike_MERLIN-MALT1-BIKE.htm

They are excellent all round bikes, every component is good quality. Most bikes will compromise on wheels or fork but these don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I'd go second hand and get an all round hardtail with a single ring up front, 9 out back and an RS pike to sort out the suspension.

But all the information given in this thread so far is useless as you haven't specified what kind of riding you'll be doing.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    I'd go second hand and get an all round hardtail with a single ring up front, 9 out back and an RS pike to sort out the suspension.

But all the information given in this thread so far is useless as you haven't specified what kind of riding you'll be doing.

I want something that I can use on the road but want it to be able for some light trail riding as there is a few trails nearby and I wouldn't mind trying em out, nothing too heavy duty though as I'm only beginning.
    That help??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

buy this, cracking bike and you wont regret it. search over..:)

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=1802

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

He's looking for an entry level hard tail MTB. Second hand is not a great idea for someone who doesn't know his bikes as he stands a fairly good chance of getting lumbered with a well beat up mtb which might have good specs but be worn to nothing.

He's obviously not looking for an AM/DH/Race for that budget or being a beginner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I want something that I can use on the road but want it to be able for some light trail riding as there is a few trails nearby and I wouldn't mind trying em out, nothing too heavy duty though as I'm only beginning.
    That help??

Ok and you have 750 to spend.

Just seen the post about the canyon, looks decent I'd go for that.

Or this Commencal ramone 2. Or if you have the cash go for the ramone 1.

avalanche wrote: »
    buy this, cracking bike and you wont regret it. search over..:)

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=1802

Lovely looking bike but a bit out of my price range. Cheers though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

focus fat boy would be a great choice. lockout fork for the road and your hydraulic disk brakes for the hills. great spec. nice bike for the money the lads in eurocycles looked after me with my focus raven. im sure they will look after yourself and knock it down a few quid.

better off going in for a chat and sitting up on the bike's.

http://www.eurocycles.ie/MTB_Hardtail_c.aspx

sgriffin wrote: »
    focus fat boy would be a great choice. lockout fork for the road and your hydraulic disk brakes for the hills. great spec. nice bike for the money the lads in eurocycles looked after me with my focus raven. im sure they will look after yourself and knock it down a few quid.

Was looking at that earlier but I've not read any good reviews on the RST forks. The Focus Killer Bee has better forks but sacrifices on the quality of the derailleur, SRAM for Shimano XT (from what I can tell from reviews anyway). Fatboy is about €100 cheaper from Wiggle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hello Skerry.

I too was like yourself looking to buy my first mountain bike. I decided to go for the carrera vengance from Halfords because to get the specs offered for the money was too good to miss. I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't even sure I would like doing. I have ridden this bike in the Ballyhoura trails probably twice a week for the last few months and it really is a fantastic bike. The money left over could be used for getting quality clothing, shorts, pads etc.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759111_categoryId_212589_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PDPZ1&iozone=PDPz1#dtab

kakee wrote: »
    Hello Skerry.

I too was like yourself looking to buy my first mountain bike. I decided to go for the carrera vengance from Halfords because to get the specs offered for the money was too good to miss. I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't even sure I would like doing. I have ridden this bike in the Ballyhoura trails probably twice a week for the last few months and it really is a fantastic bike. The money left over could be used for getting quality clothing, shorts, pads etc.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759111_categoryId_212589_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PDPZ1&iozone=PDPz1#dtab

Was looking at one of those originally but decided I'd rather go with a big name frame and possibly add better parts if needed. They do look like a good bike for the price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/7053/GT_Zaskar_Pro_Bike_2006

if you dont mind old stock
    great parts list and frame
    very good value. a few friends have zaskars and LOVE them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Cyclesuperstore have some good prices on Cube's, a friend bought one recently and very nice looking bikes with good componenets for the money, this one is 799 but I'm sure you could get it for 750 if you called in:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=232&idproduct=31692

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the help guys. Think I've kinda narrowed it down to the Cube Acid, or the Merlin Malt 1
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=232&idproduct=31692

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Merlin+Bikes/Merlin+Malt+1+Bike_MERLIN-MALT1-BIKE.htm

Think the Cube is a nicer looking bike although from what I've read the Malt 1 got good reviews, not sure if I'm gone on the frame though looks pretty retro compared to a lot of bikes out there.

Anyone got any other suggestions, or opinions on the two bikes above please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Was looking at one of those originally but decided I'd rather go with a big name frame and possibly add better parts if needed. They do look like a good bike for the price though.

Honestly you could not go wrong with the carrera vengance as a starter bike. What seems to put people off is because 1, its cheap so it can't be up to much and 2, its from Halfords so it definately can't be any good.
    If you are going to start adding better stuff later you should buy a cheap bike now and then save up for a better one rather than adding parts as you go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Cheers for all the help guys. Think I've kinda narrowed it down to the Cube Acid, or the Merlin Malt 1

Think the Cube is a nicer looking bike although from what I've read the Malt 1 got good reviews, not sure if I'm gone on the frame though looks pretty retro compared to a lot of bikes out there.

Anyone got any other suggestions, or opinions on the two bikes above please let me know.

If you can get to the superstore for a test ride and avail of the shop support then i'd go for the cube. The malt is good value for money but not a great looking bike, I had one years ago and never came to like it, always thought it looked cheap, my 2c's anyway.

That Cube is being discontinued so I'd recommend ringing the store to se the availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

After personal experience i would recomend u do not BUY STUFF FROM HALFORDS>>:)

I would recomend u Focus FAt boy 2010 or TREK 4900 serie
    or even Felt Q620...or some models from specialized...but as some people mentioned that eurocyles are extremly helpfull and they can always cut a small bit of the price..:) i think its worth the shot..just go and see..:0

OK so I think I have finally settled on a bike and am hoping to take the plunge tomorrow. Its a Cube LTD Race 2010 which I can pick up on sale for €890, down from €1280. Was originally looking at the Cube Acid for €799 but this is only about €100 more and the specs are much better. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of trying the bike out before I buy cos I'm buying it online and the nearest bike shop to me that I could try out a Cube in is 3 hours away. I'm 5' 11" and about 11.5 stone so I'm trying to decide if I should get a 18" or 20" frame. I'm planning on using it on the road but also want to do some trail riding in Ballyhoura at the weekends. Anyone recommend which frame size might suit me best, don't wanna get something that's too big to maneuver on trail as I'm only a beginner but also don't want something that's too small for regular use. The specs are listed in the link below of anyone is interested. Advice would be appreciated greatly.
    Cube LTD Race
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44335

Cube Acid

Also any opinions on colour from anyone that's seen the bike on person. White/ green one is flash looking but black is also nice. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i say the Cube LTD is much better...in general Cube bikes are well made...the components may need some upgrade later..but for beginning the bike is great. Than about frame...i say 18" would be great for u. 20" may be a bit big for u...even for offroad..if u arent sure u can try any other MTB in the size ..just to compare the diference....but i say 18"

nice choice of bike btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MarkG1975

that cube ltd is great value,good forks and drivetrain,buy it before its gone! in 18 inch 20 will be too big

I have a similar cube. Its a cube ltd team. which I think is the spec below the Ltd race. Great bike. Looks Fantastic.
    18" is what I got and I'm 5'10. 20" would be too big.

I have a similar cube. Its a cube ltd team. which I think is the spec below the Ltd race. Great bike. Looks Fantastic.
    18" is what I got and I'm 5'10. 20" would be too big.

Cheers for the replies guys. @ Petethedrummer, any idea what clearance you have over the bar with feet on the ground with the 18". I'll be using it on the road a bit too so don't want it to be too cramped. Are you saying 20" would be too big for trail use. I read somewhere Cube sizes are smallish compared with same quoted sizes on a lot of other bike brands. Also do you have to have the saddle up very high on the 18"?

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies guys. @ Petethedrummer, any idea what clearance you have over the bar with feet on the ground with the 18". I'll be using it on the road a bit too so don't want it to be too cramped. Are you saying 20" would be too big for trail use. I read somewhere Cube sizes are smallish compared with same quoted sizes on a lot of other bike brands. Also do you have to have the saddle up very high on the 18"?

I don't think it would be too cramped. I actually have a shorter stem on it than came originally. I dunno what the standover clearance is, its not something I ever pay attention to. Also I'm far from a MTB expert. I'm barely a novice. But the advice seems to be to err on the side of small when it comes to frame sizing.

You can look at the geometry here. 58.3cm is plenty of reach for me. If I remember from doing comparisons with other bikes at the time, the frame sizes didn't seem small compared to others. If you are in Dublin you are welcome to take mine for a ride around the garden. Anyways fit is very personal. If you have a bike which fits well, take the measurements and compare it to the pics below.

Edit: Those pics seem to be blocked ooopsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

sgriffin wrote: »

Would second this comment. Ask for Richie in the Long Mile Road. I would suggest the focus fat boy for your budget. Great independent review in the the biker shopper magazine, in easons liffey valley, and fat boy came out tops. The shocks are fine from memory. I opted for the black raider ltd with rock shox. I was more comfortable dealing with a store for my first mtb. Other option is buy parts and contact mr skeff. Hes the bike god!

I don't think it would be too cramped. I actually have a shorter stem on it than came originally. I dunno what the standover clearance is, its not something I ever pay attention to. Also I'm far from a MTB expert. I'm barely a novice. But the advice seems to be to err on the side of small when it comes to frame sizing.

You can look at the geometry here. 58.3cm is plenty of reach for me. If I remember from doing comparisons with other bikes at the time, the frame sizes didn't seem small compared to others. If you are in Dublin you are welcome to take mine for a ride around the garden. Anyways fit is very personal. If you have a bike which fits well, take the measurements and compare it to the pics below.

ltd_18.gif
    ltd_20.gif

Cheers for the help man. Was checking out the geometry's on the Cube site alright but been ages since I bought a MTB and figures didn't really help too much. As far as reach goes though the 604mm (23.8") saddle to handle bar measurement on the 20" frame would suit me more I reckon as I have a 24" reach measurement. Damn it why isn't there a Cube dealer near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Cheers for the help man. Was checking out the geometry's on the Cube site alright but been ages since I bought a MTB and figures didn't really help too much. As far as reach goes though the 604mm (23.8") saddle to handle bar measurement on the 20" frame would suit me more I reckon as I have a 24" reach measurement. Damn it why isn't there a Cube dealer near me.

I'd definately go for the 18" at your height and that cube looks great value! The rental fleet at the Ballyhoura's are Cube Acids so why not pop along there to size one up.

Advertisement