Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation to write thesis

Options
  • 27-07-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Alright folks!

I'm nearly finished my lab work and I've some results back now, which is good I suppose.
    However, I've lost the motivation to write the actual thesis now! I've done out a table of contents etc... but I just cant get into writing the main stuff. It's an MSc thesis and it's due in on the 17th of September.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

If you don't complete it you won't get your MSc - surely that's motivation enough :P

I was there this time last year. Lost about an inch of hairline becuase of it.

Firstly, split your thesis into sections and do out a plan along with estimated timelines. I can promise you you won't stick to them but use them as benchmarks. 5 sections of 4000 words looks and sounds a lot more doable than 20,000 words.

Use headings - even if they don't end up in the final doc. It keeps you on track and reminds ou exactly what you want to tackle in this section.

Write everyday. Even if it's 500 words of **** - you'll prob use 150 of them but it's vital to keep it moving along. It's tempting to say feck it I'm taking this week off but then trying to get back in to it is a pain.

I used to finish off everyday by updating my bibliography and some tidying up. It was a nice thing to do which gave a sense of completion at night in an otherwsie never ending process.

Break your data in to section. My thesis was a qual marketing one so my data was obv different to yours - but when I looked at the data as a whole I wanted to cry, take it im chunks too.

Get yourself a study buddy. My lib bud earned herself a thanks in my dedications. Honestly, the rants we had were epic, but just havin someone there to tut at and moan makes such a difference. Also chatting to her gave me so many new ideas I would prob have missed.

Remind yourself everyday why you're doing this feckin masters anyhow. This is presumably the last step to achieveing that goal you set and it's only you who can do it. Honestly the feeling you get when you're picking it up from the binders and handing it in. I went home, cried for a few minutes with exhaustion, slept, then went and had the best night out ever. Was so worth it.

Now get the **** off boards and write at least 200 words before you go to bed. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You just have to dive straight in. I found I could be working away for 2 or 3 hours before I would get anywhere near productive. The sooner you get it started the sooner you will finish. Just keep chipping away at it and before you know it you will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You still have plenty of time and I think once you start writing it just comes. I went through a similar thing last Summer - one extension and about a month of staying in my pyjamas writing for 12+ hours a day sorted it out but the whole thing has a been a blur since.

I do of course wish I'd started writing sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Good news folks, I started yesterday and got about 1200 words done. It's all methodology. So some of it was written out before in other papers, thesis that I'm looking at and the rest of it I've literally just pulled from notes. I think this was the best chapter to start because it's literally 'what have I done', there's no mad theoretical argument, just the details on what I carried out. I'll probably, work backwards, do the litt review then. And once the results come, collate, do the stats on them, write the results chapter and then the discussion.

It's starting this thing that is a bloody nightmare! Thanks for all the support folks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

does anyone know if you can submit an MA thesis by post?

I'm doing my MA in UCC and i've recently started back working full time. Unfortunately I've used up my holiday alllocation already and my work hours clash with the college open hours.

Do you know if I could post in the copies with a signed declaration when i'm ready to submit everything?

Thanks for any answers guys:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why don't you ring the relevant department and they'll give you a definitive answer rather than depending on internet heresay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

Why don't you ring the relevant department and they'll give you a definitive answer rather than depending on internet heresay?

well because i posted that question after office hours and i hoped to get some sort of an answer that would put my mind at ease this evening.

I do apologise for the inconvenience, i must have misunderstood the whole foundation of boards, i thought it was a discussion forum instead of merely 'internet hearsay'!:cool: Obv i do take my thesis seriously hence the reason why i'm considering my options regarding submission, for this reason i would also certainly double-check the answer with the relevant contact person in the university

Advertisement