Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard for watching 1080P movies on my TV.

Options
  • 27-07-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’ve decided to try and build a PC for the first time.

The main use for the PC will be for watching Blu Ray's and downloaded 1080P content. I will also use it for listening to music, surfing the net and day to day computing. The machine will never be used for gaming. I already own a standalone Blu Ray player and a surround sound system but I want the PC to replace them both.

I assume, but please correct me if I'm wrong, that these days the onboard graphics and sound capability of a decent motherboard will mean I won’t have to buy a separate graphics or sound card. I can just plug the HDMI out from my new motherboard directly into my TV for the 1080P video signal and a set of 6 speakers directly into the audio out sockets of the motherboard to experience surround sound.

If I am correct about the above, then I am looking for some recommendations for a suitable motherboard. If what I’m suggesting isn’t a good idea then what should I do.

Declan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

For your purposes you would be better off going with a pre-built nettop, then a full self-built desktop. Something like the ASRock ION 330HT-BD. It's tiny, uses little power, can play 1080p HD video and has a built in blu-ray player.

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=ION%20330HT-BD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Thanks for your feedback Sink. I'll take a look at that unit, but I thought building my own might be a bit of fun.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback Sink. I'll take a look at that unit, but I thought building my own might be a bit of fun.

Well in this particular market segment, it's cheaper and usually better quality to buy off the shelf. If you were looking for a workstation or games machine I would recommend building your own.

This is the one I would go for if I were you. It's due for release next week.

Dual core Atom processor 1.6Ghz, ion graphics, 2gb ram, Blu-ray, HDMI out, Windows 7 Home, wireless keyboard and mouse. Everything you need.

Asus Eee Box 1501U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

You've got me thinking now. I didn't realise that they could get so much in such a small box and have it be a PC and a home entertainment system all in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

these are the best deal out there http://www.ebuyer.com/product/200538

Advertisement