Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble connecting to the internet...

• 27-07-2010 4:26pm

My old computer broke down (beyond all repair) a while back and I am now using my laptop. The family just got donated a new pc from my gran who never uses it. I don't know much about computers but I know more than the rest of the family so I have been given the task of setting it all up for everyone. I'm having trouble connecting it to the internet.
    It's an old computer, a dell 4550. It's microsoft windows xp.
    I honestly have no idea where to start. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.
    I'll give more details about the problem if you need them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

what way do you connect it? wireless, wired?

Sorry, wirelessly. Belkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Where are you located?

Reason I ask is the simplest and cheapest method for you might be to get a mobile broadband dongle from the likes of O2, Vodafone or 3. This plugs into the USB port (assuming your old computer has a USB port?!) and doesn't need any additional software to give you an internet connection, and is therefore both cheap and relatively painless.

Reliability / speed etc. depends on coverage in your area though - but I'd say this should perhaps be your first port of call. You may be able to test before signing up to a contract - ask the providers.

Some links that may help to begin with -

O2: http://www.o2online.ie/shop/broadband/
    Vodafone: http://www.vodafone.ie/mobilebroadband/?ts=1280245666740
    Three: http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/index.htm

I have 02 mobile broadband, and being close to a mast in Dublin it's pretty good. If you're in the sticks though, you may be better exploring cable or phone-line broadband from the likes of NTL/Chorus or Eircom... although this is generally more expensive, requires additional equipment (a router) and also means having a contract with NTL or Eircom *shudder* :)

EDIT: reading your reply above leads me to think you already have an internet connection, and just need to connect your PC to it? apologies if confusion has arisen :)

Its the PC with the wireless card installed, or you add a dongle to it?
    Can you see wireless device in Networks?
    Its enabled? Are drivers installed?

I already have wireless internet in the house. It was hooked up to the last computer. I can't seem to figure out how to get it working with this one...

• Advertisement

And no, I can't see any providers in the networks list...

No, in the network devices, can you see the wireless card?

Networks devices? Is this like a physical card?
    Sorry, I know very, very little...

Connected to the computer I have a wireless g plus mimo usb network adapter. I have a modem in the other room thats hooked up to the xbox. Should there be something connecting these two together?

Yes, to access a wireless network, you need to have a wireless device; it could be a wireless dongle(usb adapter), like in the pc, a wireless card for laptop or a build in adapter.
    However, you should see in network adapters what you have installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Advertisement