Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell!

Options
  • 27-07-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

:mad:

Hi,

having a nightmare with HELL DELL repair team and want to seriously consider my options as my patience is running thin

FYI I have 3 Year Business Hardware Support - Next Business Day cover with my machine that is still covered

pre 22/7 - Laptop wont boot. Just keeps attempting to boot then pffffffft ... dead ....

So, a timeline of events:

22/7

Dear JustAddWater,

Thank you for replying to my email.

I appreciate your prompt response. As discussed, I have booked the service to arrange an Engineer visit for 23/06/2010, and he may call in the Morning to inform his arrival, please make sure the availability and reply if any other help is required.

Dell appreciates your patience and cooperation.

23/7 Service call > Nobody came. Took day off work. No reason given except call was canceled (not by me BTW). Dell agreed that they would work from a room at my job so I would not need to take further time off. Didn't know they could do that!

24/7 Engineer came. FWIW he replaced the MOBO and heatsink. Laptop failed to boot while he was there. Sound guy, he demanded that dell send the same parts again to me and also a CPU to be sure

25/7 Different engineer came, he replaced MOBO, heatsink/fan and CPU. Booted while he was there

Hooray! all done ... got home and same craic again!

28/6 Called Dell. They said OK we'll take the laptop off site, they dont usually except in circumstances where they cant fix onsite. A courier will call for collection, someone will be in touch

29/6 Left the package with reception. Told them if someone came, to hand it over. Phone call at my desk, Dell will be sending GLS couriers (Wed 30/6) ... Went to reception to get my laptop back, lo and behold, UPS came and left me a tracking number and took my laptop. Was told that UPS specifically asked for it and gave me a tracking number

Called dell, they said yes UPS is their courier and took my tracking number. They said who told me GLS were coming? I said they did. The dont use GLS says guy on the phone. Everything should be fine, they'll receive laptop and work on it, 5-10 days I should have it back

30/6 GLS arrive at my job, they look for the laptop. I tell them I dont have anything and they're cool and away they go

I rang dell to tell them GLS called and they were confused as to why UPS took the laptop. They'll escalate the call and get back to me

Various calls telling me they'll update me and that my laptop hadn't been received by the repair team kept coming and going. I told them UPS didn't just magically decide to turn up here looking for my laptop. THEY sent UPS, nobody else. Only Dell could send 2 people to get a laptop and still somehow loose it!

UPS confirmed POD at the the other end????

15/7 They've found my laptop. They'll work on it and update me

21/7 A call to ask if I had heard from repair team about return of laptop. No said me, I haven't. They said I should soon

26/7 Call to say they've found my laptop and should have it by the end of the week. Here's a DPD tracking number. Turns out, I called to confirm it that the number is 1 digit too long! It matches what dell have though!

27/7 Today, GLS arrive at my job, get this!!! to COLLECT my laptop! WTF????? Who sent them?

Also I would like to point out that when the engineer was sending parts to me, I received a CPU in a shoe box sized package and also 2 rubber feet, each 1 in in a separate A5 jiffy bag, each individually bar coded! They're only about the size of a €1 coin FFS! What a pure waste of money!!!!

So they tell me I should have my laptop by the end of the week. It has dragged on for well in excess for a month now?

What can I do? I am going to seriously consider S.C.C if I don't have anything by the end of the week? Do I have a case for small claims? I have been onto managers within dell and they do ring me every 2/3 days with no updates but do call anyway and I am just so tired of having to call them and get conflicting information

UPS took my laptop but they say one day that's fine, they never heard of GLS, then GLS show up twice?? and they say UPS took it in error?

Right pain in the ass being without my laptop for a month since dell took it and that's without the fact it was unusable 2 weeks prior to the calls. Also annoyed that I took time initially for a service call and they canceled it without telling me and never gave me a reason!

HELP!!!!

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sanitarium

I have had to get dell to replace the hinges on my laptops screen and all it took was one chat session on Dell's online chat support to get it collected, fixed and sent back out. I only ever spoke to Dell once.

Sounds like you were very, very unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

UPS have a good rep. GLS have a cowboy rep, with stuff having a habit of going missing. Seems GLS are only good in the west of Ireland.

Ring Dell, and question their Next Business Day cover, as it's taking a month to get your laptop fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Whats confusing me is their conflicting information!

Who sent GLS to my office today? I didn't and dell should know that the laptop is already collected

I rang DPD which they gave me a ref for and DPD confirmed that the number is a reference for a collection! Again?! what's that about

I feel like giving them an ultimatum, think I need to contact someone about my rights first tho! blah! just frustrated

the_syco wrote: »
    UPS have a good rep. GLS have a cowboy rep, with stuff having a habit of going missing. Seems GLS are only good in the west of Ireland.

Ring Dell, and question their Next Business Day cover, as it's taking a month to get your laptop fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

In relation to your rights there are a few issues:

If you laptop is for business use the sales of goods and services act can be hard to claim under as it is for regular consumers. Just someting to consider.

How old is the laptop and is this the 1st problem? Of course you expect your purchase to last more than 3 yrs but if you are demanding a refund of the purchase price or a replacement when you have only lost use of it for 4 weeks out of 36 months your case may be a bit weak in some eyes.

The other option is to complain about the 3 year next day business insurance you bought rather than the laptop purchase. I would hazard a guess that you would have to complain to the financial services ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

What a shambles of a service, I won't ever be ordering from Dell. You here good stories about Dell, but I wonder in reality how many complaints do they get.

Hope when you get the Laptop back its working, if you get it back this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

johndoe99 wrote: »
    What a shambles of a service, I won't ever be ordering from Dell. You here good stories about Dell, but I wonder in reality how many complaints do they get.

Hope when you get the Laptop back its working, if you get it back this year.

Sorry but this is just a ridiculous comment. Yes the OP has been unfortunate but to be fair this mess seems to mainly be with the couriers.

The point is people usually only complain about things not praise them, so for every one case like this you can be assured there are a few thousand perfectly satisfied customers with no urge to report anything.

But yes take your complete lack of personel experience and go on your little campaign and dont ever order from Dell, im sure they'll be heartbroken. :rolleyes:

Sorry but this is just a ridiculous comment. Yes the OP has been unfortunate but to be fair this mess seems to mainly be with the couriers.

The point is people usually only complain about things not praise them, so for every one case like this you can be assured there are a few thousand perfectly satisfied customers with no urge to report anything.

But yes take your complete lack of personel experience and go on your little campaign and dont ever order from Dell, im sure they'll be heartbroken. :rolleyes:

Dell sent the couriers, so Dell should be in contact with the Couriers and from what the OP has typed Dell has never explained why there was 2 different couriers involved, when Dell stated they only deal with one.

My main point being; that yes they have complaints and praises, but i'd love to have a look at there records and see just in fact how many complaints do they receive.

I can understand that the OP's post was long and it had to be to fully explain everything, but maybe you should read it through more than once to fully understand it and then hopefully you would understand what I was on about in my original post.

Oh and by the way what Dell department do you work in ?

Dell sent the couriers, so Dell should be in contact with the Couriers and from what the OP has typed Dell has never explained why there was 2 different couriers involved, when Dell stated they only deal with one.

My main point being; that yes they have complaints and praises, but i'd love to have a look at there records and see just in fact how many complaints do they receive.

I can understand that the OP's post was long and it had to be to fully explain everything, but maybe you should read it through more than once to fully understand it and then hopefully you would understand what I was on about in my original post.

Oh and by the way what Dell department do you work in ?

Don’t want to make this post to long now lest you spend all day reading it repeatedly.

The problem is not with Dell as a company, it is with a particular customer service agent who obviously was not 100% clear on how their company’s courier process works. It could have been their first day for all we know. Either way they shouldn’t need excuses. That much I will give you. My point is for every incident like this there would be a far greater number of positive ones that are not posted on boards.

I do not work for Dell. I might as well jump on the bandwagon and assume you’re from the country then, throwing ignorant remarks like that around??

I actually work for one of Dells biggest rivals, and even though I can get better discounts at my own company, I still go with Dell, as anytime something has gone wrong, be it with the item itself or with the order, they have always righted it quickly and with no hassle. This experience is based on 40+ orders between the main Dell site, the Outlet and their old eBay store, for friends, family and myself.

I might as well jump on the bandwagon and assume you’re from the country then, throwing ignorant remarks like that around

Ah so your Racist are you, enough said then, seen as you assume us country folk are ignorant.

Ah so your Racist are you, enough said then, seen as you assume us country folk are ignorant.

Since when are "country folk" a race? And no, my remark was an example of me jumping on your bandwagon and throwing out an uninformed comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Since when are "country folk" a race? And no, my remark was an example of me jumping on your bandwagon and throwing out an uninformed comment.

since when are country ppl uninformed?

since when are country ppl uninformed?

I had no idea they were uninformed. You seem to know something about it though, just not when it happened. Maybe you could bring a few other treads back from the dead and tell us what you know? Ok great.

ibtl.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

any update op? also it might be worth writing to dell in cherrywood with all the details of your case just to let them know what an excellent job their customer care are oing double booking couriers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I wonder in reality how many complaints do they get.
    Not sure if they count them. I do know that last year they made the team who takes care of letters redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Not sure if they count them. I do know that last year they made the team who takes care of letters redundant.

Are you referring to the Cherrywood place in Dublin?

I have been getting letters from there and the amount of bad grammar/spelling mistakes is horrendous. I actually thought it was a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Good job you weren't stuck with Mr Bindi in Bangalore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Before launching into legal action, try putting together an email outlining all of this and politely ask for a manager or a senior customer care rep to look into what has been going on with this issue, again politely outline the service promised to you and highlight what promises they have failed on and see how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hello932 wrote: »
    Are you referring to the Cherrywood place in Dublin?

I have been getting letters from there and the amount of bad grammar/spelling mistakes is horrendous. I actually thought it was a piss take.

i doubt they are actually coming from charrywood more likely coming from indian customer care? have you actually written to dell customer services in cherrywood?

Advertisement