Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a programming job in Galway?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

My company currently has tons and tons of positions coming up for both junior and senior software developers. There are lots of C++ jobs (8 at the moment, with many, many more coming on stream) as well as Java/Web development (not sure of numbers, but they need about 7 or 8 developers asap). I've worked in both teams and it's interesting work, with some cutting edge technologies and plenty of domain experts in there to help you learn along the way.

As it's in Galway, the salary/benefits are not as impressive as Dublin, but I've worked in this company for four years now and it's a really nice place to work and the people are fantastic - I guess sometimes that in itself is worth it's weight in gold.

PM me for contact details as I won't post it in the thread.

Recession? What recession! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Wow, a lot of PMs!! Obviously there are plenty of people out there for this sort of work. Seems the recruitment agencies are having a hard time finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Those parasites couldn't find a spot on their arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

what are the best IT recruitment agencies for Galway?

You are your own best recruitment agency, companies should advertise their own jobs instead of giving Recruitment Co's a % of your salary.

You are your own best recruitment agency, companies should advertise their own jobs instead of giving Recruitment Co's a % of your salary.

HR departments are too inefficent for that to work

• Advertisement

If they are unwilling to set 1 person aside for say 2 days to go through all the CV's then they deserve to pay a few grand to a Recruitment agency.

What would one HR staff members wages be for 2 or 3 days, the company itself still has to interview the staff so they only pay for the CV's to get processed.

What is the going rate in a recruitment agency these days?

For Mods - I am not in anyway affiliated with a recruitment agency :D

still waiting on IT Agency names for Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ICE is an IT recruitment agency in Galway, no idea if they're any good or not though.

I prefer not to deal with recruitment agencies at all. I think they're the scum of the earth and I hope the recession finishes them off completely :D

Afraid I don't... like I said I prefer not to deal with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No slagging of named businesses here.
    This thread is about a particular job opportunity, try to stay on topic.
    One post removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

If I was in the OP's position, I'd just get together the CV's, dump the unqualified/unsuitable, then go through them once more, looking for the better ones and contacting the best of the bunch for an interview. That's all a recruiting company will do and all you would want them for since you are on a tight schedule.

Having to do it yourself will mean you won't have a lot of time to interview people. but I'd rather be the one making the judgement calls on this.

You say you need them ASAP, so doing it yourself might be quicker anyway, even if it is awkward... oh, and not to mention cheaper.

I doubt there are many recruitment companies with the requisite knowledge to know what relevant knowledge or experience in the field might be for programming, Java, etc.

I think companies in Ireland are very lazy when it comes to interviews - meaning that they don't really interview enough people and write people off based on CVs that they deem to not be full enough/too full. Basically they look for the "perfect" candidate based on a CV... when maybe a person is perfect for a job but their CV isn't.

Then they complain that no good candidates are available.

I much preferred jobsearching in Canada... I think they interview more and rely on CVs less.... and if I can get an interview I have an 80% chance of being chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, in the interests of transparency, would you care to disclose how much of a bounty you get if one of folks referred by you is successful?

(fyi, this is quite common in the larger firms around town: if your friend tells you about it job, it's a good idea to make sure that HR know how you found out about it.)

Regarding recruiters, I've had good experiences with Noel Recruitment (though they're not working in the IT area here, AFAIK).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

JustMary wrote: »
    OP, in the interests of transparency, would you care to disclose how much of a bounty you get if one of folks referred by you is successful?
    I don't think that makes difference tbh.

He's just trying to be pro-active. So what if he gets a bounty from boards.

I won't be looking for a cut...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

If OP does get a 'bounty', fair play to them... Nice of him/her to think of the poor boardsies :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would much rather the OP gets the ca$h€€$h than some scumbucket string search matching recruitment agency commission hunting dipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

lots of PM's OP?

I work for another company in Galway looking for .net developers. We put adds in paper and I think recruitment companies. I think only 4 or 5 responded. We are interviewing people still if anyone has .net capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Hmm. Could it be that the OP is advertising jobs that might have more of a developer base locally? C++, Java, and Web stuff is probably more common out there than .Net - which is also the newest of these platforms (Wikipedia says it was first introduced in 2002? Having said that, I'll bet there are job specs out there looking for ten years experience... :rolleyes:)

Gadget

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fecks sake it was called visual studio before it was launched as .net :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Eh, how should I put this... no :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

They're calling it Visual Studio again by the way :)

As far as I know, I'm not getting anything out of this. Maybe I should ask for something ;) Basically, I was chatting to the HR folks and they're having a hard time filling the roles. I said I'd put the feelers out on forums, etc. and here I am (all I'm doing is giving people contact info). There are a lot of positions coming up, and if we don't fill them on-site in Galway, it's likely that those jobs will go out to China and India as it's high priority work that needs to get done. There isn't anything wrong with that, but I think there are skilled people in this town who don't seem to be on the HR company's radar... and from the number of PMs I've received, looks like I was right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

No, I don't, but, thanks for the offer though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mike kelly wrote: »
    HR departments are too inefficent for that to work

In my experience, I've never been interviewed by a HR person. It has always been the people I would be working with/under.
    Might be different if I was applying for a HR position.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »

It's called vim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

po0k wrote: »
    In my experience, I've never been interviewed by a HR person. It has always been the people I would be working with/under.
    Might be different if I was applying for a HR position.

It's called vim :)

Off topic a bit but doesn't Visual Studio 2010 look purdy! I'd love a programming job myself but I'm kind of settled in my current job a for a little bit longer at least. Good luck finding suitable candidates. Beware of the many spoofers!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

I call my IDE Tim, or wan:<er when it fubs up! Visual studio 2010 is bound to be pretty considering it itself is developed in WPF AFAIK. (You can write code with nothing more than a text editor if yer stuck, course pretty code colors and intellisense make it a lot faster!) Nice one OP, good to see a positive thread on boards! DWORD YO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'll have one of those web dev positions, thanks.

How much moneys will I get?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

Well i contacted the company in question in this post over 3 weeks ago and still havent got a reply. Perhaps they're not so eager to fill positions so.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Well i contacted the company in question in this post over 3 weeks ago and still havent got a reply. Perhaps they're not so eager to fill positions so.

Or maybe you suck!

/sorry for the horrible reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

i really dont think that's what it is. luckily i'm not sensitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

It could be they got a tihS load of applicants, and the positions were filled? I'm sure a high number of boards.ie posters % wise are computer literate and/or programmers/web designers?

Advertisement