Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damage to dress whilst in for repair

Options
  • 27-07-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

so my girlfriend left a dress in for repair in a local shop.

she just picked it up and got it home and noticed a large burn mark(from an iron and a hole in around the area that was getting repaired.

she of course went straight5 back in and told them but they denied doing it.

now i know she should have insected it in nthe shop before leaving but unfortunately she didnt.

so what would be the best way to go about getting compensation.it wasnt a cheap dress and she was hoping to wear it to a wedding in a few weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Company has a duty of care to items they take in. If you are CONVINCED that they did this, and only if you are convinced...

1. Write a formal letter of complaint to them detailing everything that happened. mention that unless they respond favourably within 10 business days, then you will have no option but to approach the Small Claims Court.
    2. Wait for up to 10 business days [2 weeks for you and me]
    3. If there is not a favourable response, initiate proceedings with the SCC.

These cleaners use heavy duty, professional irons. If needed, the burn hole can be matched to the shape of their iron. You are unlikely to have a domestic iron that made that damage. Oh, you can also mention this in the letter.

They will probably not let it go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They may have a disclaimer or T&Cs similar to those used by dry cleaners.

Advertisement