Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina, 11th August

• 27-07-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Irish team named here.

Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, Joe Murphy

John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Greg Cunningham, Kevin Foley, Marc Wilson, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Darren O'Dea, Kevin Kilbane

Keith Andrews, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Paul Green, Liam Lawrence, Aiden McGeady, Ande Keogh, Damien Duff, Keith Fahey, Keith Treacy, Cillian Sheridan

Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Caleb Folan, Shane Long

-EDIT-

Argentina squad:

Sergio Romero, Mariano Andújar, Martín Demichelis, Walter Samuel, Nicolás Burdisso, Gabriel Heinze, Maximiliano Rodríguez, Javier Mascherano, Ángel Di María, Jonás Gutiérrez, Mario Bolatti, Javier Pastore, Gonzalo Higuaín, Carlos Tevez, Sergio Agüero, Lionel Messi, Diego Milito, Fabricio Coloccini, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Pablo Zabaleta, Emiliano Insúa, Fernando Gago, Jesús Dátolo, Ever Banega

Source: (Spanish) (Google Translate)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I thought Given was going to be out injured for another month or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Shame James McCarthy hasn't made the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

tolosenc wrote: »
    Irish team named here.

English - 7
    Northern Irish - 2
    Scottish - 1

Don't think it's as bad as usual but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Jesus wept, someone please tell me James McCarthy is mildly injured. Hope this isn't another Andy Reid situation. I despair at the thought of sitting through another campaign of the Andrews - Whelan partnership.

That opinion probably won't be popular with the Trap extremists but that's just how I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

English - 7
    Northern Irish - 2
    Scottish - 1

We really give ourselves a hard time over this! So many other countries have foreign born players. I'm sure the 2 Northern Irish would challenge them being as foreign as the English/Scottish too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

is Best injured? i'd have him in before Folan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

theteal wrote: »

Seriously? Best had a woeful season. Can't score for us and looks like he hasn't a shred of confidence in front of goal.

Prove me wrong Leon but Folan for me is much better than Best. Holds the ball up extremely well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why are the two other keeps even called up? Given starts everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

English - 7
    Northern Irish - 2
    Scottish - 1

Give it a rest would ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Augmerson wrote: »

Is that you Pat Devlin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

A few points, in my humble opinion of course.

Time to drop Kilbane and this may be Dunphy-esque of me, but McShane too. Sick of the sight of the latter.

It's nice to see an injection of youth in Cunningham, Wilson and Treacy, but I'd have liked more.

We can pick better than Andy Keogh.

Paul Green. Really? I know he played in the friendlies back in May, but if not James McCarthy can we not try out a young Irish lad playing the same standard of football like Chris McCann, Stephen Quinn or Owen Garvan?

And Stokes should really be in too. He's young, has scored a lot of goals (albeit in a moderate league) and full of confidence after a great season. Compare him to someone like Folan ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Augmerson wrote: »

:rolleyes: Ya you're right. Let's not give them anytime to get used to being on international duty or train with the rest of the squad. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

tolosenc wrote: »
    Paul McShane, Kevin Kilbane
    Depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

English - 7
    Northern Irish - 2
    Scottish - 1

Slighty irrelevant comment at this stage no?

German World Cup 23 man team had 5 non-Germans, nobody makes an issue of it.

Big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

That_Guy wrote: »
    Seriously? Best had a woeful season. Can't score for us and looks like he hasn't a shred of confidence in front of goal.

Prove me wrong Leon but Folan for me is much better than Best. Holds the ball up extremely well.

woeful? i've not been following his newcastle progress but before christmas he was far from woeful (i do realise that's a long time ago in soccer terms hence i'm genuinely asking if he was that bad)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

:rolleyes: Ya you're right. Let's not give them anytime to get used to being on international duty or train with the rest of the squad. FFS.

I'm just pointing out our over reliance on Given.

Don't get me wrong - he is our best keeper, sometimes best player on the pitch. He is going to start against Argentina, no doubt. If he started and at half-time Westwood came in I would be happy. It's only a friendly, give him a proper shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

woeful? i've not been following his newcastle progress but before christmas he was far from woeful (i do realise that's a long time ago in soccer terms hence i'm genuinely asking if he was that bad)

Trust me. He's woeful. Expect to see him sitting down an awful lot next season. Bad purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably worth calling up Coleman to the side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

English - 7
    Northern Irish - 2
    Scottish - 1

Gavs wind up post number - 7293

People who actually give a sh?t about what he thinks - 0

;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The usual complaints about a Trap squad. No Coleman, Ward or McCarthy is disappointing when Green and Cunningham are in there. I guess McCarthy is paying for Wigan pulling him out if the end of season get together and friendlies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ever heard of injuries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just can't decide whether to watch this or Faroes vs Estonia :D. I'm glad to see that Given is on the squad. He is just so important to the overall team effort and it would be a shame if he didn't get to go to one more big competition.

How Paul McShane stays on the peripheries of Trapattoni's plans puzzles me no end. Don't get me wrong I'm sure he's no less eager than the rest but he's just proven time and time again that he's not up to the job. You really do fear for the result when he jogs onto the pitch. It's sad in a way because he looks like an ideal talisman for the team ; he looks well built, he has the flame red hair and the spirit but just not the apparent talent.:(

Hard to know what kind of form that the Argentine team will be on when they take to the pitch, nursing their world cup hangover such as they are. I don't know if I'd like Ireland to win this game, though because their next game away against Armenia would be better faced if they went there with a bit of a point to prove I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jesus wept, someone please tell me James McCarthy is mildly injured. Hope this isn't another Andy Reid situation. I despair at the thought of sitting through another campaign of the Andrews - Whelan partnership.

That opinion probably won't be popular with the Trap extremists but that's just how I feel.

Yeah I'm surprised he's not involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

New season, new qualifying campaign ahead. So why the hell is Kilbane still in the squad?? 33/34 now, yeah he was a good player for us over the years and turned up all the time. But was shown up against Bulgaria and Italy last time. A decent winger, never a Left back. I mean he didn't even make the Hull team most of the time as they went down.

Also worrying to see McShane still there. Have a horrible feeling we end up starting 1st qualifier with Kilbane lb and McShane at rb :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

mcshane and kilbane should not be allowed playe for Ireland, ffs.

Its not like they are going to be around for the next major finals.

idiotic

Big deal.

Grand, I ain't from Germany nor do I support Germany, now I don't support the Irish international side but one reason behind that is because it's hardly an Irish international squad with the amount of non-Irish in it.:confused:
    Give it a rest would ya?

It's grand mate, the players all have Irish roots, just like Celtic have Irish roots which equals neither are actually Irish.

Sure if I wanted to support an English B Team I'd be better off just supporting England tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Grand, I ain't from Germany nor do I support Germany, now I don't support the Irish international side but one reason behind that is because it's hardly an Irish international squad with the amount of non-Irish in it.:confused:

Arian national team get your vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I care what he thinks alot more than I care about what you think to be fair. I doubt I'm alone in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Sure if I wanted to support an English B Team I'd be better off just supporting England tbh.

So I take it you supported England when they played Ireland during Italia 90?

After all, only 6 of Ireland's 22 man squad for that World Cup were born in the country. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

After all, only 6 of Ireland's 22 man squad for that World Cup were born in the country. :rolleyes:
    You're making a gigantic age assumption there.

CSF wrote: »

Well, if you weren't born when Ireland had possibly their finest footballing moment with a team featuring the likes of English born Dave O'Leary, Paul McGrath, John Aldridge and Mick McCarthy then making disparaging remarks about the current Ireland squad is a bit rich.

I expect it from some Northern Ireland and Rangers fans. Trying to create an "us versus them" between League of Ireland fans and the rest of the Irish footballing public is a bit silly. If it was some random poster and not Gavin I'd think it was someone trolling tbh.

We all know that League of Ireland attendances are too low, however, the national team is not the enemy. If Wimbledon had moved here as a Premiership "franchise" back in the day then they'd be a legitimate target. Robbie Keane and co? Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well, if you weren't born when Ireland had possibly their finest footballing moment with a team featuring the likes of English born Dave O'Leary, Paul McGrath, John Aldridge and Mick McCarthy then making disparaging remarks about the current Ireland squad is a bit rich.

You left out Andy Townsend, Terry Phelan and Ray Houghton(Scotland) ;)

How does the quality of the player have anything to do with that opinion?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You left out Andy Townsend, Terry Phelan and Ray Houghton(Scotland) ;)

Didn't want to waste too much space listing all 16 born outside the Republic, could have put Chris Hughton, John Sheridan and Big Cas in there too but we'd be here all day if I did that sort of thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Didn't want to waste too much space listing all 16 born outside the Republic, could have put Chris Hughton, John Sheridan and Big Cas in there too but we'd be here all day if I did that sort of thing! :D

Blimey, didn't realise it was that many :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Caleb Forlan all the way.

As for the Kilbane/McShane comments: McShane is a liability. Other than the woeful refereeing, he was to blame for France's goal in Paris. Kilbane, I find it hard to be harsh on. He's been such a servent to Irish football, most capped player, and we all remember his younger years fondly, charging away on 40 yard runs. Realistically, his race is run, he'll be gone come July 2012, regardless.

Shame about McCarthy. Green? Seriously? What's next, another call-up for Lapira? Time to get O'Hara to commit, and try to convince Anton Ferdinand (imo, both will be capped during the forthcoming campaign).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lack of McCarthy is baffling. C'mon Trap, lets see more performances like Paris you bottler.

How does the quality of the player have anything to do with that opinion?

It's not to do with the quality of the players per se, it's more the fact that even Paul McGrath (who would generally be considered a Dub and who's also a former St. Pats player) would be counted as one of those "English" statistics if you were to analyse the 1990 squad like that.

Either way, we're wildly off the point of the thread at this stage which is the upcoming Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina game.

So, back on topic, anyone know when Argentina are supposed to name their squad for the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's not to do with the quality of the players per se, it's more the fact that even Paul McGrath (who would generally be considered a Dub and who's also a former St. Pats player) would be counted as one of those "English" statistics if you were to analyse the 1990 squad like that.

Either way, we're wildly off the point of the thread at this stage which is the upcoming Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina game.

So, back on topic, anyone know when Argentina are supposed to name their squad for the game?

They haven't even got a coach. Maradona is gone.

Was a few months off popping outta the womb unfortunately!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Anybody young enough to not remember Italia 90 is not old enough to make sense, scientists have proven that everybody under 24 is an idiot :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Just found it there. The trick was searching "irlanda" and not "ireland" on the AFA's site. Now in OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Diego Maradona's reign as Argentina coach has ended, the Argentine Football Association (AFA) has confirmed.
    Maradona admitted he wanted to stay in the job ahead of a meeting with AFA president Julio Grondona on Monday.
    But, after Maradona rejected demands to change his backroom team, the AFA voted not to renew his deal and made under-20 coach Sergio Batista caretaker boss.
    Argentina crashed out of the 2010 World Cup finals at the quarter-final stage, where they lost 4-0 to Germany.
    A statement on the AFA website read: "Mr Julio Grondona made the members of the executive committee aware of the conversation with Mr Diego Maradona, setting out the points which had come out from the meeting.
    "The executive committee unanimously resolved not to renew the contract with Mr Diego Maradona as coach of the Argentina national football team."
    AFA spokesman Ernesto Cherquis Bialo added: "Maradona's requirements were very far from the FA's possibilities."

606: DEBATE
    Your views on Maradona's Argentina tenure
    Batista played in midfield alongside Maradona in the 1986 World Cup final and managed Argentina to gold at the 2008 Olympics.
    He will pick the squad for the country's next game against the Republic of Ireland on 11 August at Dublin's Aviva Stadium - the first international football match at the redeveloped Lansdowne Road site.
    Bialo stated that a new full-time appointment could be announced in time for Argentina's next home match, against world champions Spain on 7 September.
    Estudiantes coach Alejandro Sabella, who was Daniel Passarella's assistant at the 1998 World Cup, Racing Club boss Miguel Angel Rosso and Batista have already emerged as potential successors to Maradona.
    Before the pair's two-hour meeting on Monday, Grondona stated he was hopeful a new four-year deal could be agreed with Maradona.
    But while Maradona was keen to continue in the job, he also declared he would he would refuse to renew his contract, which ended after the defeat to Germany in Cape Town, if the AFA dismissed even one of his staff.
    "If they touch a hair of one of my guys, even if it's the masseur or the kitman, I'm going," he told El Show del Futbol on America TV.
    Grondona had already signalled his desire for backroom changes after admitting the AFA "had lots of problems" with one of Maradona's assistants, former Argentina defender Oscar Ruggeri.
    Grondona's demand, then, for the replacement of a number of assistants - one of whom was believed to be Maradona's close friend Alejandro Mancuso - was, unsurprisingly, snubbed by the football legend.
    Although appearing defensively frail at times, Maradona's side topped Group B in South Africa with victories over Nigeria, South Korea and Greece.
    They then overcame Mexico 3-1 to reach the quarter-finals.
    But the emphatic nature of their exit at the hands of the Germans gave fresh ammunition to the critics of Maradona's tenure, which included a fraught qualification campaign.
    Since taking the job in November 2008, Maradona, considered by many as the greatest footballer in history, won eight and lost seven of his 15 games in charge of La Albiceleste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What a f***ing legend Kilbane is.

Great attitude.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0727/1224275593952.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Best Irish football player ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Big deal.

Albeit being irrelevant it's actually not true.

Calling a second/third generation immigrant kid 'non-German' is what the right-wing bigots in Germany do. I mean most of these kids were born in Germany, grew up in Germany, school in Germany, German citizenship, everything. If they're not German what are they then?

Sorry about this out of place rant, but for certain reasons I feel quite strongly about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boskowski wrote: »
    Albeit being irrelevant it's actually not true.

Calling a second/third generation immigrant kid 'non-German' is what the right-wing bigots in Germany do. I mean most of these kids were born in Germany, grew up in Germany, school in Germany, German citizenship, everything. If they're not German what are they then?

Sorry about this out of place rant, but for certain reasons I feel quite strongly about.

a few of them are not second/third gen immigrants though. Some were born in other countries before moving to germany.

a few of them are not second/third gen immigrants though. Some were born in other countries before moving to germany.
    I mean most of these kids were born in Germany, grew up in Germany, school in Germany, German citizenship, everything. If they're not German what are they then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so out of 5 players mentioned, I count 4 that were not born in germany and you say MOST are second/third gen german.

That does not add up.

so out of 5 players mentioned, I count 4 that were not born in germany and you say MOST are second/third gen german.

That does not add up.

I don't recall any players being mentioned or not being mentioned by name on this thread. So who are the five I don't know. In any case - between all the players with an immigration background on the German squad it's 6 German born v 5 not German born players. So technically I'm right...;)

Sami Khedira - born in Stuttgart
    Serdar Tasci - born in Esslingen
    Denis Aogo - born in Karlsruhe
    Jérôme Boateng - born in Berlin
    Mario Gomez - born in Riedlingen
    Mesut Özil - born in Gelsenkirchen

Lukas Podolski - born in Gliwice (Poland)
    Miroslav Klose - born in Opole (Poland)
    Pjotr Trochowski - born in Tczew (Poland)
    Marko Marin - born in Gradiška (SR Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    Claudemir Jerônimo Barretto (Cacau) - born in Mogi das Cruzes (Brazil)

P.S. Andreas Beck (Kemerovo, Russia) was originally nominated but later omitted from the squad. He would have made it even.

P.S.P.S. Jesus I dare say the Fűhrer would not have applauded that team. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement