Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina, 11th August

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

doncarlos wrote: »
    Where have I said that? You don't find it strange that nobody else was booed apart from three players that played for Liverpool and United when the names where called out?

I don't find it strange at all.

There are a lot of people in Ireland that don't like United or Liverpool.

Anybody claiming this to be "pathetic" is just displaying an embarrassing inferiority complex imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

keane2097 wrote: »

Anybody claiming this to be "pathetic" is just displaying an embarrassing inferiority complex imo.

Au contraire, if anything I have superiority complex. I'm proud of who I am and where I'm from. Anybody who follows the pack and chooses the easy route (Man United, Liverpool) are much more likely to have inferiority complex. Why else would they feel the need to try and manufacture some sort of identity and affinity with these clubs otherwise?

I don't really like Liverpool myself due to the brand of football they play and enjoy watching United play. Don't ever feel compelled to boo their players though

Au contraire, if anything I have superiority complex. I'm proud of who I am and where I'm from. Anybody who follows the pack and chooses the easy route (Man United, Liverpool) are much more likely to have inferiority complex. Why else would they feel the need to try and manufacture some sort of identity and affinity with these clubs otherwise?

I don't really like Liverpool myself due to the brand of football they play and enjoy watching United play. Don't ever feel compelled to boo their players though

Well there you go, you're exactly the same as everybody else so.

The only difference between you and the fans that did the booing is the degree to which you feel the same emotions, and vocal you choose to be in expressing them.

Unless you have a problem with someone feeling the same way you do but just feeling it more strongly, then the only issue you can really have is whether or not booing is wrong pretty much regardless of reason.

In which case bringing the whole British vs Irish and national embarassments was just pointless soapboxing.... rather unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this thread does have some weird comments on it.
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    I would like to know if any you lot that are saying it's a great stadium were sitting high up in the upper tiers? I doubt you would have the same opinion if you were.

errm what, what on earth is wrong with the upper tiers? explain please:confused::confused:

overall, the stadium is class and if people have problems with views and no beer and this and that, their priorities lie elsewhere. i was in the upper east last week and upper south last night, 3 rows from the back and the view both nights was top notch. no matter where you sit in a modern stadium, the view is excellent. beer was served last week, not last night. it has always been like that and no beer was served in croke park for internationals. even at old trafford, they are not allowed serve beer for champions league games.

I dont have any major issue on booing, so long as it isnt race related. But the Eastern European grounds are cauldrons. So why isnt Landsdowne. Thats my point. 45k real irish fans, and not a peep out of any of them, aside from the 2-300 lads down the end who were great. I stood up and sang, and got stared at, and left on my own, and I was in amongst lads who have season tickets, and talk of the great time they have at games.

people were booing -
    • platini and delaney on the big screen.
    • samuel and heinze, who acted like total ***** on the pitch.
    • the ref, who was shocking i have to say.
    • and shock shock, horror horror, there are liverpool and united fans in ireland who may have booed players in the warm up (i didnt hear it by the way) and the get slagged. nothing is said by many, when the celtic fans boo rangers players.

the one sad thing is that it now appears, more people support man united in this country than the irish national team as even though tickets were more expensive last week, the attendace was smaller last nite.

the one thing i have a problem with, is the stadium only actually caters for 39,000 general admission tickets for "real fans" as they have been called here. too many premium tickets were put into the stadium and its going to create a crap atmosphere. it was terrible last night and alot of it is down to the type of fans they are aiming for. the "real fans" who are from the working class backgrounds, cannot afford to pay 65-105euro or however much the premium seats cost. thats for the prawn sandwich d4 brigade and the rugby, not for soccer. it never was nor will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

People go to football games support there team if certain players on the opposition are acting the Mick they get booed! It's happened for 120 years! People on this thread should seriously get of there high horse, if you don't like booing well then simply don't partake in it. It's a bit rich to criticise people booing at any match, it happens like it or lump it, what I find unbelievable is people actually saying there embarrased to be Irish because of it! That's the biggest joke on this whole thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

the one thing i have a problem with, is the stadium only actually caters for 39,000 general admission tickets for "real fans" as they have been called here. too many premium tickets were put into the stadium and its going to create a crap atmosphere. it was terrible last night and alot of it is down to the type of fans they are aiming for. the "real fans" who are from the working class backgrounds, cannot afford to pay 65-105euro or however much the premium seats cost. thats for the prawn sandwich d4 brigade and the rugby, not for soccer. it never was nor will be.

It was a good post up until this

What a load of rubbish

I know 4 people personally that have barely missed a match home or away in the past 20 years that have bought Premium tickets .....are they not real fans

I know fans that earn 100K + a year that attend as many games as they can, some in suits straight from the office, are they not real fans ?

get over the 'real fans' v 'prawn sandwich' stuff, it's a load of bull.

There were loads of empty seats in the non premium levels last night, where were the 'real fans' ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Not 20,000 but quite a few. Wasn't as bad as the idiots that boo Rangers players though.

I remember a match in the old Lansdowne Road, Irish fans were booing some Rangers chap, Declan King came over the PA and asked could the fans show the Lansdowne spirit or some ****e for every player on the pitch. Cue fans booing the Irish players everytime they'd the ball, and cheering the opposition when they got it. (Romania I think it was) The Ranger's lad got the biggest cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

keane2097 wrote: »

It is pathetic to bring your like/dislike of a foreign club into your support of the national team though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I remember a match in the old Lansdowne Road, Irish fans were booing some Rangers chap, Declan King came over the PA and asked could the fans show the Lansdowne spirit or some ****e for every player on the pitch. Cue fans booing the Irish players everytime they'd the ball, and cheering the opposition when they got it. (Romania I think it was) The Ranger's lad got the biggest cheers.

V Denamrak and Lovenkrands was the Ranegrs player. Yet, you'll have some on here that will totally deny that happened. I rememeber the Irish players laughing at us in the South Terrace and giving it the old clenched fist etc:)

gustavo wrote: »
    It is pathetic to bring your like/dislike of a foreign club into your support of the national team though

As has been pointed out multiple times by now, people were booing players, not clubs.

Tevez and Heinze are both widely disliked. This dislike stems from actions that they took while playing for English clubs, granted. To suggest that your dislike for someone will vanish because he is wearing his national team jersey instead of his club one is obv foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I was at the match last night. (Free tickets! Wahay!)
    Had great seats, west stand, about six rows from the sideline.

It's my second time in the stadium (having watched the world cup final there) and I must say I do like it, apart from the fact that it has the outward appearance of a bedpan. Both times I've neem in it the views seem grand!

However, the atmosphere was pretty crap last night I thought, barring the few down the end who were singing for most of the game. Still doesn't compare to Tallaght stadium on a Friday night though! :)

On the pitch, didn't think it was a great performance by our boys. We didn't seem to have much in midfield at all. Richard Dunne and John O Shea seemed to have a great game though.
    Kilbane was caught ball watching far too many times, and when the ball was passed over his head he didn't have the pace to catch up (but then again, not many would have the pace against Messi).

Have yet to see a replay of the goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

It was a good post up until this

What a load of rubbish

I know 4 people personally that have barely missed a match home or away in the past 20 years that have bought Premium tickets .....are they not real fans

I know fans that earn 100K + a year that attend as many games as they can, some in suits straight from the office, are they not real fans ?

get over the 'real fans' v 'prawn sandwich' stuff, it's a load of bull.

There were loads of empty seats in the non premium levels last night, where were the 'real fans' ???

your missing my point, but anyway....aiming for premium tickets is going to price out the fans who will go and sing at games. the fact that somebody earns 100k+ does not make them a better fan or lesser fan, but while there are obvious exceptions, from my experience, the cheaper tickets always seem to house the best atmosphere.

as regards last night, 80% of the empty seats were premium and corporate, the general area seats were pretty well sold, i would say 1,000 in general area and 4,000 corportate/premium seats were not sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Leaving now.... Will they be serving beer in there for the match>
    Manc-Red wrote: »
    Apparently they are to be yes.

Thanks removed :p just kiddin..

They dont server beer at any UEFA licenced event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Alcohol is served on the premium level which is level 3, for all games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Can't believe ya can't get a pint at it - absolute joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Can't believe ya can't get a pint at it - absolute joke

Are you new? You could never buy beer at Ireland games, no?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Are you new? You could never buy beer at Ireland games, no?

No I'm not new...

After all the publicity of how they could pull a 100 pints in 10 seconds or whatever it was - I just thought they might be changing it.

And so did many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

No I'm not new...

After all the publicity of how they could pull a 100 pints in 10 seconds or whatever it was - I just thought they might be changing it.

And so did many others.

Yea I fell for this trap too, just didn't think about it properley and I asssumed we would be able to.

So how come they can serve it on Premium level but not the normal levels? Isn't that breaking the UEFA licencing rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Quick question are the premium seats for the soccer sold separately or just sold on a match basis? I have premium seats for the rugby and I was at the match on Wednesday in the lower east stand and nearly all the seats in my section were completely empty.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Quick question are the premium seats for the soccer sold separately or just sold on a match basis? I have premium seats for the rugby and I was at the match on Wednesday in the lower east stand and nearly all the seats in my section were completely empty.

The origional plan was to sell them for 10 years at a cost of about 32 grand, but when that proved difficult they came up with alternatives.

One I believe is to offer them on a individual match basis to people who already have them for e75, to pass then on to friends etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Who's in charge of charities outside the ground?

Why were Pallas United allowed collect for a new pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The origional plan was to sell them for 10 years at a cost of about 32 grand, but when that proved difficult they came up with alternatives.

One I believe is to offer them on a individual match basis to people who already have them for e75, to pass then on to friends etc

The FAI really ****ed up the sale of premium tickets,I can see plenty of premium tickets been available on a per match basis,that vantage club is a complete joke.WE bought premium tickets outside on wednesday night for €25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

noodler wrote: »
    Couldn't get a beer at the Montenagro game at Croker in Sept.
    Maybe its weeknight thing?
    Were you able to buy beer at soccer games in Croke Park or is this rule new to the new stadium ?

No problem buying beers at the Argentina and Irish game, but I think it was just on the premium level. Free flowing all evening there. Mind you it was 5.60 a pint which was a bit steep for a pint glass of Carlsberg. Guinness may have been cheaper but I doubt it.
    I saw lots of premium level (Vantage Club ?) seats empty but that was not surprising but there were also lots of seats in the stands not filled.

I was on this level and I did see alot of empty blocks of seats. However, at half time everyone went in to the bar and when the match restarted most stayed inside and watched through the glass. The view was identical to going back out to your seat (a little less atmosphere though) and you could drink your pint and place it on the little drinks stand that runs all the way around the glass. I was impressed with the fact you could walk all the way around the level (from north east to north west) and look at the match from any angle you wanted. I watched most of the first half from my seat in the South stand, then I moved in to get a pint and watched from the glass about 10ft behind my seat. Unobstructed view and this suited me fine having a pint too. Then in second half I moved around to the east and west sides to see what the view was like. Very impressed with the stadium, although I do like a pint at matches so would miss that on the lower and upper. Here are a couple of photos I took that show the view from various angles behind the glass.

http://i.imgur.com/uPAsC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/MbIbR.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/7o7Pw.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Slqdo.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/26DKD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Not sure if it's been mentioned as i was waiting for approval to post so it may have been said since and i don't want to go all the way back through 6 days of posts but

Walter Samuel was boo'ed for locking heads as if to headbutt McShane
    Heinze was boo-ed for kicking duff completely un-neccessarily as duff turned him
    Mascherano was booed for running 30 yards to moan about a decision which had nothing to do with him.
    John Delaney and Platini were booed when on big screen, It returned with only Johnny Giles in focus and he got a huge cheer.

There was absolutely no booing due to the Club of the player, it was booing for dirty underhanded playing of the Argentina players. I'm probably forgetting something as it's not as fresh in my mind but i wanted to post this at least as i think it's silly that people have just to the assumption of "Oh the united fans were booing him". Didn't happen at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Who's in charge of charities outside the ground?

Ah, I didnt know who they were collecting for. Whoever waved a bucket in my face just had "New Pitch Fund" written on it. I thought it was the FAI trying to raise cash to pay off the stadium!

100gSoma wrote: »
    No problem buying beers at the Argentina and Irish game, but I think it was just on the premium level. Free flowing all evening there. Mind you it was 5.60 a pint which was a bit steep for a pint glass of Carlsberg. Guinness may have been cheaper but I doubt it.

Correct, only on premium level.

And the Guinness is €5 a pint.

Yea I fell for this trap too, just didn't think about it properley and I asssumed we would be able to.

So how come they can serve it on Premium level but not the normal levels? Isn't that breaking the UEFA licencing rules?

I know your asking a question there but its actually a valid point....

Ok for the Rich but feck the poor??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cos they bought loads of Vantage Club tickets? :pac:

But if they did sell beer in the 'non premium' area it would be at at the price of e5 + a pint and people would be complaining about rip-offs etc.

• Advertisement

The theory behind it is that the premium level is a members area of sorts for the Vantage Club and 10 Year Members, so that level is allowed serve drink as the seats are not "general public" and those on the premium level are more so members of the stadium, even though a lot of seats are not strictly 10 Year/Vantage Club tickets. Its a technicality afaik.

Thats what we were told anyway. (working on the premium level bars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ha, Only seen this now and it's hilarious. Only 39,000 seats for ''real'' fans? There is only about 10,000 fans at the games which would be considered real fans. The reason most games have a sh1te atmosphere is because most people at the game have no idea how to generate an atmosphere at a game as they don't go to enough.

Advertisement