Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina, 11th August

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trap:
    Cunningham looks set to take the place of Kevin Kilbane, who is in the squad but unlikely to feature. However, Trapattoni is happy to have him around and feels he still has something to offer the younger generation.
    “Kilbane is a great man but we need to look at other options," said the manager today. "He knows our opinion and he says he’s still happy to come with us. Play or no play, he’s happy to be here. That’s important. He can also be a supporter, maybe for Cunningham."

Legend

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Boskowski wrote: »
    I don't recall any players being mentioned or not being mentioned by name on this thread. So who are the five I don't know. In any case - between all the players with an immigration background on the German squad it's 6 German born v 5 not German born players. So technically I'm right...;)

Sami Khedira - born in Stuttgart
    Serdar Tasci - born in Esslingen
    Denis Aogo - born in Karlsruhe
    Jérôme Boateng - born in Berlin
    Mario Gomez - born in Riedlingen
    Mesut Özil - born in Gelsenkirchen

Lukas Podolski - born in Gliwice (Poland)
    Miroslav Klose - born in Opole (Poland)
    Pjotr Trochowski - born in Tczew (Poland)
    Marko Marin - born in Gradiška (SR Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    Claudemir Jerônimo Barretto (Cacau) - born in Mogi das Cruzes (Brazil)

P.S. Andreas Beck (Kemerovo, Russia) was originally nominated but later omitted from the squad. He would have made it even.

P.S.P.S. Jesus I dare say the Fűhrer would not have applauded that team. :D

That's all very well, but you seem to be making up an argument that isn't there.

The point was made that some/many of the Irish players from the recent squad any 1990 were born abroad but this was irrelevant as they were as Irish as anyone else (the likes of O'Leary who moved to Dublin at age 3 could hardly be considered non-Irish) and besides, nobod cared that other countries had similar squad makeups, including Germany, who had five foreign-born players in their squad - the ones you mention.

How you make this out to be some sort of right-wing attack on Germany's players is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

I'm seriously worried about James McCarthy not being in the squad.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    I'm seriously worried about James McCarthy not being in the squad.

Indo, or was it times, reporting he is being punished for missing a training camp the same way Andy Reid was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How you make this out to be some sort of right-wing attack on Germany's players is beyond me.

What?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Yeah I thought that alright, he pulled out of the Algeria and Paraguay matches because of fatigue, they could have. come up with a better excuse than that ffs. Fingers crossed he's only being punished for this game.

What?!?

What's post 47 about then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What's post 47 about then?

Right, I re-read this and I see how you may have picked this up wrong. I don't make it out to be THAT. All I'm saying is that this is an argument of THESE PEOPLE back home. Never would the thought occur to me that's the intention of whoever mentioned those guys first on this thread.

Anyway, maybe we should just move on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Got my tickets today. :D Anyone know if lower tier, 136 - block D is any use?

Looking forward to the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

5 non-Germans
    it's actually not true.
    I mean most of these kids were born in Germany,
    I don't recall any players being mentioned or not being mentioned by name on this thread.

Lukas Podolski - born in Gliwice (Poland)
    Miroslav Klose - born in Opole (Poland)
    Pjotr Trochowski - born in Tczew (Poland)
    Marko Marin - born in Gradiška (SR Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    Claudemir Jerônimo Barretto (Cacau) - born in Mogi das Cruzes (Brazil)

so, erm - see above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Argentina Squad:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andujar.

Defenders: Martín Demichelis, Walter Samuel, Nicolas Burdisso, Gabriel Heinze, Fabricio Coloccini, Emiliano Insua, Pablo Zabaleta.

Midfielders: Angel Di Maria, Maxi Rodriguez, Javier Mascherano, Jonas Gutierrez, Mario Bolatti, Javier Pastore, Jesus Datolo, Fernando Gago, Ever Banega.

Forwards: Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez, Gonzalo Higuain, Lionel Messi, Diego Milito, Ezequiel Lavezzi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Still no Cambiasso,Zanetti or Riquelme? I taut Maradona had gone?

tdv123 wrote: »
    Still no Cambiasso,Zanetti or Riquelme? I taut Maradona had gone?

The squad was selected by Maradona before leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Veron has been dropped too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

GrumPy wrote: »
    Got my tickets today. :D Anyone know if lower tier, 136 - block D is any use?

You seem to be behind the goal in the North Section. Seating plan here.

• Advertisement

The Argentinian league starts up on the 8th of August, so they probably didn't call up any home based players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

The Argentinian league starts up on the 8th of August, so they probably didn't call up any home based players.

Good point. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

noodler wrote: »
    Indo, or was it times, reporting he is being punished for missing a training camp the same way Andy Reid was?

When I heard he'd pulled out at the end of the season I expected as much. Here is the article from the Independent.
    RECENT history suggests that it is unwise to miss a date with Giovanni Trapattoni unless you have exceptional reasons. James McCarthy learned that lesson the hard way yesterday.

The highly rated Wigan teenager, who made his eagerly awaited Ireland debut against Brazil in March, was subsequently absent from the end-of-season training camp and the friendlies with Algeria and Paraguay due to fatigue.

He did drop in to Malahide for discussions with medical staff about various knocks that he was carrying, with his club manager Roberto Martinez worried that the rising star risked difficulties if his season was extended.

It's a chain of events which appears to have cost McCarthy the chance to be prominently involved in the senior squad for the beginning of the Euro 2012 qualifiers in September, after he missed out on the 28-man panel named by the Italian for the Aviva Stadium showdown with Argentina in a fortnight's time.

In his absence, Paul Green and Keith Fahey came into the fold and won their way into Trapattoni's affections, with the latter effectively included ahead of 19-year-old Glaswegian McCarthy, as he can operate in both a central and wide role. It was the Birmingham star which the Irish boss referred to when he put the decision to omit McCarthy into context.

"Let's say you're Fahey," he said. "You came the last time and you played well. Now, of course, I want you to show me again that you can play well.

"If I don't call you and call McCarthy, who was tired the last time, it's not fair. I need this step by step, and it's possible to build."

Trapattoni says he will continue to monitor the Wigan star, who will be included for Noel King's Irish U-21 game against Estonia on August 10.

Significantly, King also requested the services of Manchester City's Greg Cunningham and Celtic's Cillian Sheridan. He was told that the former is needed by the senior team for the entirety of their gathering, while Sheridan -- whose mooted switch to CSKA Sofia came as a surprise to Trapattoni -- is included in the senior panel, but could yet end up back with his age group.

There is no grey area with McCarthy, however, which is a surprising development given his outstanding club displays and the praise showered upon him by senior management.

Andy Reid and Lee Carsley suffered when they failed to show for Trapattoni's first training camp in the Algarve in the summer of 2008, with Glenn Whelan seizing his moment. The previously unheralded Green, who plies his trade with Derby, and Fahey have benefited this time around.

Meanwhile, Marc Wilson and Keith Treacy, who both had clearly defined injury problems that excluded them from the May gathering, are given the opportunity to make an impression.

"I'm not forgetting," continued Trapattoni, when a few other absentees were mentioned. "I don't forget Seamus Coleman or (Stephen) Ward (another who missed May because of a setback)."

Brian Murphy, Eddie Nolan, Anthony Stokes and Leon Best are left out, though, despite reporting for duty. Best, who flew up the queue last autumn and even figured in the competitive games with France and Italy, was desperately disappointing in the training games at Gannon Park and is excluded, with Caleb Folan back in the picture.

The Irish boss watched this summer's World Cup in South Africa with interest and, of course, a large dose of regret. While the French and Italians faltered on the greatest stage, he believes that his group of players would have gone further in the competition, particularly given the improvement that was obvious in the comfortable victories over Algeria and Paraguay.

"I was confident we could go to the last 16 or the quarter-finals," he said. "With our mentality and the way we play, it would have allowed us to go further than the first rounds.

"France, I thought that every player was playing for themselves individually. That was my impression. There is no harmony among the players. Without that, it's not a team. Paraguay showed us what can be done."

While Fabio Capello has been criticised in England for sticking rigidly with the 4-4-2 formation also deployed by Ireland, a tournament which was dominated by teams operating a 4-2-3-1 system hasn't convinced the gaffer that a change in his system is likely.

In the past, he had spoken of a desire to dabble with one up front, yet the development of Kevin Doyle and the strengthening of his partnership with Robbie Keane has removed that curiosity. Instead, he plans to stick with the same modus operandi.

"When you play with one striker, you need a team that is able to grow with the ball," he said. "Spain, it was good, because they score a goal. The problem is not 4-4-2, the problem is the players. It is about mentality."

Certainly, he attributes Argentina's ultimate collapse to an issue of attitude. He shied away from overtly criticising Diego Maradona, while drawing a comparison between the work rate of the forward players in Jose Mourinho's all-conquering Inter Milan side and the vaunted attackers who represented the South Americans in the finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Are ticketmaster the only outlet selling tickets for this game? They only have seats left in the North Stand (tiny one behind the goal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Albeit being irrelevant it's actually not true.

Calling a second/third generation immigrant kid 'non-German' is what the right-wing bigots in Germany do. I mean most of these kids were born in Germany, grew up in Germany, school in Germany, German citizenship, everything. If they're not German what are they then?

Sorry about this out of place rant, but for certain reasons I feel quite strongly about.

Actually, 5 players were born outside Germany making them "non-German born", so it's a fact more than opinion.

My point was that they are "non-Germans"; in the way that an earlier post made a point of some of the Irish players being "non-Irish", yet there's no ranting from German fans.

This is nothing to do with right-wing bigotry, it's just a point of fact that some of these players weren't born in Germany, like some of the Irish players weren't born in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Would have loved to see Zanetti, Riquelme and Cambiasso back in the squad. Such a shame that these lads will probably be too old for the next world cup (Cambiasso might still have it) and would have loved to have seen them against the Irish team.

Maybe Maradona's sacking is a blessing for the Argies, playing 4 centrebacks along the back four was a gamble that certainly didnt pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

dubmick wrote: »
    Are ticketmaster the only outlet selling tickets for this game? They only have seats left in the North Stand (tiny one behind the goal)
    Yeah, those tickets are the unsold ones from the Argentine allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

SSN were reporting that Whelan received a serious looking injury during a Stoke pre-season friendly today. Probably will rule him out of this match if it was a serious as they were saying it looked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    SSN were reporting that Whelan received a serious looking injury during a Stoke pre-season friendly today. Probably will rule him out of this match if it was a serious as they were saying it looked

Ah ffs. Not a particularly big fan of Whelan but he's a damn sight better than Andrews. Who will start then? Gibson (don't think he's effective in a 4-4-2), Green (:o) or Fahey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

6 have withdrawn. McGeady presumably busy with negotiations and stuff, are the rest injured?.

It says on the FAI website that Whelan, Long, St Ledger, Folan and Wilson have all pulled out through injury.
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101141:mcgeady-withdrawn-from-ireland-squad&catid=1:senior-men&Itemid=8
    (Scroll down to the bottom)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The usual complaints about a Trap squad. No Coleman, Ward or McCarthy is disappointing when Green and Cunningham are in there. I guess McCarthy is paying for Wigan pulling him out if the end of season get together and friendlies.

Seems like Trappatoni is punishing him for that but maybe he should cap a player with dual nationality before trying to put him in his place :)

Shay Given will probably start but I hope one of the other lads gets 45 minutes. Important they can actually back him up and not just an empty jersey.

Nice to see that El Trap will be forced to change his starting lineup, good to see what the other players can bring to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dempsey wrote: »
    Seems like Trappatoni is punishing him for that but maybe he should cap a player with dual nationality before trying to put him in his place :)

Hasnt he already got one?

EDIT:

McCarthy received his first call-up to the Republic of Ireland national squad in February 2010, for a friendly with Brazil played in London.[14] He made his debut as a substitute, replacing Stoke City's Liam Lawrence after 70 minutes.

Trilla wrote: »
    Hasnt he already got one?

EDIT:

McCarthy received his first call-up to the Republic of Ireland national squad in February 2010, for a friendly with Brazil played in London.[14] He made his debut as a substitute, replacing Stoke City's Liam Lawrence after 70 minutes.

I only saw bits of that match, thats my excuse! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Are tickets still on sale for this through the FAI shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

We definitely need to start establishing a recognised No.2 for Given, hell be 36 if we make it to the Euros.

We definitely need to start establishing a recognised No.2 for Given, hell be 36 if we make it to the Euros.
    Totally agree, Westwood should be given at least an hour. No better test for a keeper than to go up against Messi, Tevez and Higuain and all the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

Too right about the lack of options after Given in goal. We really haven't seen enough of Westwood in goal for Ireland and as much as I don't want to admit it, it's high time we did because Given won't be around forever. We can be thankful that Ireland has for the last 20 years or so has been producing one quality goalkeeper per generation from Bonner to Kelly to Given. Hopefully we don't get caught in keeper limbo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Back to the McCarthy thing. IMO Trap would want to be careful - we are not exactly full of upcoming explosive talent and it's probraly better to keep these lads onside rather then give an excuse for another Stephen Ireland scenario. It's times like this that stubborness can come back to bite you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hmmm intersting I see Marc Wilson playing for Portsmouth tonight. But yet he pulled out of the Irish squad for the Argentina game with a knock?? How bothered is he really in playing for us???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Stevecw wrote: »
    Hmmm intersting I see Marc Wilson playing for Portsmouth tonight. But yet he pulled out of the Irish squad for the Argentina game with a knock?? How bothered is he really in playing for us???
    I'd imagine he felt he had to do that with only 15 players available for the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lads just a word of warning for you if you are going to match and it's first time going to Aviva.

It's not like the Old Lansdowne where you just saunter up any route and make way to turnstile. Was at Utd game last week and the stewards are pre-filtering crowds so that access is determined by your colour coded tickets.

As a result loads of people missed start of game as they had tickets for purple/orange zone but tried to access via 'Green ticket holders' entrance at Lansdowne/Shelbourne Road junction. They were all sent on long walk back up Ballsbridge and around Dodder.

Thought it was a disaster and hope this situation is not in place tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I thought McCarthy was missing from the squad because Noel King asked or him for an u21 European qualifier....

Edit: U21 squad:
    Stephen Henderson - Bristol City
    Shane Redmond - Chesterfield

Seamus Coleman - Everton
    Lanre Oyebanjo - Histon
    Brendan Moloney - Nottingham Forest
    Eddie Nolan - Scunthorpe United
    Gavin Gunning - Blackburn Rovers
    Rob Kiernan - Watford

Owen Garvan - Ipswich Town
    Conor Clifford - Chelsea
    Alan Judge - Blackburn Rovers
    Stephen Gleeson - MK Dons
    James McCarthy - Wigan Athletic
    Conor Hourihane - Ipswich Town

Cillian Sheridan - Celtic
    Anthony Stokes - Hibernian
    Aaron Doran - Blackburn Rovers
    Joe Mason - Plymouth Argyle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

murpho999 wrote: »
    Lads just a word of warning for you if you are going to match and it's first time going to Aviva.

It's not like the Old Lansdowne where you just saunter up any route and make way to turnstile. Was at Utd game last week and the stewards are pre-filtering crowds so that access is determined by your colour coded tickets.

As a result loads of people missed start of game as they had tickets for purple/orange zone but tried to access via 'Green ticket holders' entrance at Lansdowne/Shelbourne Road junction. They were all sent on long walk back up Ballsbridge and around Dodder.

Thought it was a disaster and hope this situation is not in place tomorrow night.

I got tickets for the match and have been to the aviva or old Landsdowne for that matter before! I will be in the North Stand (the crappy small one:o) so we are planning to take the Dart from Connolly to Landsdowne Rd. station would this be a good idea? The plan is to try and get there about an hour before throw-in to avoid getting lost in unfamiliar streets. I was only once there last May to the US Embassy so have a vague idea of the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

frantic190 wrote: »
    I thought McCarthy was missing from the squad because Noel King asked or him for an u21 European qualifier....

It was the opposite.

Trap didnt want him, therefore he was available for King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Stinicker wrote: »
    I got tickets for the match and have been to the aviva or old Landsdowne for that matter before! I will be in the North Stand (the crappy small one:o) so we are planning to take the Dart from Connolly to Landsdowne Rd. station would this be a good idea? The plan is to try and get there about an hour before throw-in to avoid getting lost in unfamiliar streets. I was only once there last May to the US Embassy so have a vague idea of the streets.

Yep the Dart leaves you right at the stadium.

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Are tickets still on sale for this through the FAI shop?

You can get them at the Aviva Stadium reception at the moment

Poor Trappattoni has eaten some dodgy shellfish and puking his guts up in the Mater Hospital. Silly Billy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I was hoping Veron would play, has he retired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Warper wrote: »
    I was hoping Veron would play, has he retired?

Nah, just once Maradona was gone he was never really going to get into that squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Team Named:

Manchester City shot-stopper Shay Given will start in goal, with a back four of Paul McShane, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea and Kevin Kilbane.

Across the middle will be Liam Lawrence, Keith Andrews, Paul Green and Damien Duff, whilst Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle are in attack.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0810/ireland_argentina.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Any open training session by argies ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Any open training session by argies ?

Why do people keep refering to Argentineans as Argies? That's a derogatory nickname applied to people from Argentinia during the Falklands War, mostly banded about by the Sun and tabloids like that which were nothing but jingoistic pieces of thrash.

Bit like saying "I wonder if this will be a good training session for the Mick's/Paddy's for the Euro's?"

Augmerson wrote: »
    Why do people keep refering to Argentineans as Argies? That's a derogatory nickname applied to people from Argentinia during the Falklands War, mostly banded about by the Sun and tabloids like that which were nothing but jingoistic pieces of thrash.

Bit like saying "I wonder if this will be a good training session for the Mick's/Paddy's for the Euro's?"

Shut your Jap mouth!

sugarman wrote: »
    Did'nt I fucking tell you's!

Get those 2 ****ING CLOWNS out of the team, not so much Kilbane, but he is a liability all the same & will be shown up again & again.

Andrews & Green starting too:confused:

Trap, your a muppet.

Was pretty sure Trap had said he told Kilbane he was looking at other LB optinos but that Kilbane was happy enough to come as backup.

So try and control your outbursts - the man is there in service of his country even after being told he is unlikely to play unless it is necessary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement