Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina, 11th August

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Splainc wrote: »
    Doyle does not have a great club goalscoring record

Wiki stats

2003–2005 Cork City 76 (25) 2005–2009 Reading 154 (55) 2009– Wolverhampton Wanderers 34 (9)
    8 in 35 for Ireland. Not many of these in competitive games as far as i am aware. (EDIT scratch this. Most were in competitive games)

Goal every 3 at club level but not all of this is at premiership level. Had very poor goalscoring return in his second prem season but was played on the right alot for a poor Reading team.

I'd read the record quite differently to you. I'd argue it was generally great given the clubs he was playing for.

The next logical step of the argument is to compare his record with Folan or Long. That would be the final nail in the coffin of the "he doesn't score enough so needs to be dropped" argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is this game being shown on Television tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

syklops wrote: »
    Is this game being shown on Television tonight?

Live on Sky Sports 1

I'm pretty sure there are extended highlights on RTE after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

hopefully this wil be shown live on http://www.myp2p.eu/ or http://www.justin.tv/ these are usuall great links for saturday prem games!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

noodler wrote: »
    I'd read the record quite differently to you. I'd argue it was generally great given the clubs he was playing for.

The next logical step of the argument is to compare his record with Folan or Long. That would be the final nail in the coffin of the "he doesn't score enough so needs to be dropped" argument.

Maybe it does but I was never arguing that. I only said we need another effective striker to bring on and start some games instead of Doyle whose main strengths are his honesty and hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hold on, we (the taxpayer) pay for half of the Aviva stadium and now we can't even watch an Ireland friendly live on RTE, that's BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Hold on, we (the taxpayer) pay for half of the Aviva stadium and now we can't even watch an Ireland friendly live on RTE, that's BS.

Yep, The chase of the Dollar overrides civility again.

Disgraceful - All internationals Away or @ Home , Friendly or Qualifier should always be available to RTE or TV3 for the very reasons you've highlighted

Could the gov not have put in a clause, we will give you the x Million but you must show all ROI games on the national broadcaster.

Could the gov not have put in a clause, we will give you the x Million but you must show all ROI games on the national broadcaster.

They could have done but with S$y around they know they'll get very good revenue from them whilst the majority of people cant see the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They could have. But then why put your corporate box seat and political goodwill at risk by bringing up the unpleasant issue of fairness for the general public?

Forget removal of yellow hoarding. I hope UEFA make the FAI pull every single one of those white seats out of the very concrete for the 2011 Europa league final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Off to the match now, it's good to be home......

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Off to the match now, it's good to be home......

Enjoy:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kevin Doyle is out of the game tonight. Sheridan expected to start in his place.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle is out of the game tonight. Sheridan expected to start in his place.

Is this bad ? Don't follow soccer really but like watching the ROI games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is this bad ? Don't follow soccer really but like watching the ROI games.

It makes us weaker but friendlies are the time to blood these guys I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Leaving now.... Will they be serving beer in there for the match>

Leaving now.... Will they be serving beer in there for the match>

Apparently they are to be yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm fine with Sheridan starting as I think he has potential to be a good option for us with his height and physical presence, plus we need more options up front in case Keane or Doyle are unfit for a qualifying game.

Overall though I'm very disappointed with the team chosen for tonight. McShane and Kilbane were weak links in the last campaign (how McShane was nominated for young player of the year at the recent awards I do not know) and Green is a more limited player than other available options.

If Trap is happy with St Ledger and Dunne at central defence, and with good options coming through at right-back in Coleman, Foley and Kelly, why not move O'Shea to left-back ahead of the next campaign? I prefer O'Shea at RB personally but he can do a far better job at LB than Kilbane. Tonight I would have liked to see something like this:

Given

--Foley
    Dunne
    St. Ledger
    O'Shea----

---Fahey
    Gibson
    Whelan
    Duff

Sheridan
    Keane

In the long-term I think Coleman and McCarthy are good candidates to be pushing for a start but perhaps need more experience first. I'm extremely disappointed though that tonight we are going with a midfield of Andrews and Green. I despair with that partnership and feel we could be in big trouble this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Looking foreward to match, am in the east stand so hopefully I will have a good view of Messi taking Kilbane on :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Is Messi starting? Whats the Argentina squad for the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Heading off shortly. West Stand. Should be good.

Is it bad form to cheer if Messi does something amazing (or something average that McShane makes look amazing) or best to stick to a respectful clap?

Is it bad form to cheer if Messi does something amazing (or something average that McShane makes look amazing) or best to stick to a respectful clap?

When I saw Ronaldo play for Portugal at the old Lansdowne, I clapped him with his brilliance on the field.

Some of course booed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Very strong Argentina team:

Romeo, Samuel, Burdisso, Demichelis, Heinz, Mascherano, Banega, Gago, Di Maria, Messi, Higuain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I take it RTE wont be showing this?

FearDark wrote: »

Nope, unfortunately. Sky have it live. RTE will have highlights at 10:25 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

FearDark wrote: »

Nah, Fai made sure that the first Ireland match in the new stadium will be broadcast on foreign TV. So unless you're prepared to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a friendly game, you'll catch it on sky sports.

Im between two minds. I've followed Ireland for years but I don't think I can stomach the FAI for much longer...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sky sports is sounds is completely out of synch for me =/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sky have de gaffuh, should be a laugh. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Christ, Stans accent is getting worse! And I'm from Dundalk! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Nah, Fai made sure that the first Ireland match in the new stadium will be broadcast on foreign TV. So unless you're prepared to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a friendly game, you'll catch it on sky sports.

Im between two minds. I've followed Ireland for years but I don't think I can stomach the FAI for much longer...

+1

Fooking debut Ireland game at the new Aviva and the FAI sell it for Thirty Pieces of Silver to SKY :mad:

Bertie Ahern is a muppet but when it came to sports (soccer) he worked in the background to keep Irish games on Irish TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sky sports is sounds is completely out of synch for me =/

Perfect for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Stan, He hasn't gone awat you know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Good stream here, bit of delay though.

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4c5a8ee2f0f74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Did anyone notice the '3' sponsor slapped onto Robbie's son's jersey?:mad:

Oh bloody hell. Sky talking about Bobby Charlton scoring 49 goals which is a 'British and Irish record'.

Come on. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Can't believe stan is a commentator for sky. Terrible that RTE don't have the rights. come on Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Stan is woeful to listen to.

''He's a fox in the box.''

Please, no more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Can't believe stan is a commentator for sky. Terrible that RTE don't have the rights. come on Ireland.

Thank fcuk he's not a commentatorr, couldn't listen to him for an hour and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd love to know what these kids are supposed to be doing with these signs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Ive just said the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

baz2009 wrote: »
    Thank fcuk he's not a commentatorr, couldn't listen to him for an hour and a half.
    Sorry pundit. He is giving me a headache already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The thought of Messi v McShane makes me want to cry. Bet if the former was in a straitjacket with his feet tied together McShane would still somehow be the one to end up on his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Oatesy23 wrote: »

Worst opening ceremony. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

baz2009 wrote: »

Neither could the players during his matches as manager!

Lot of empty seats in stadium. Wonder if there are still access problems like last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm watching a stream - is my stream seriously delayed or is this game ever going to start - Messi looks seriously pissed off in the tunnel so I'm guessing sounds of stan is being piped in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I've actually had to turn off the sound until we get to the actual commentary. Who could have possibly thought it'd be a good idea to have him on tv? Someone, somewhere must have lost a bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hahaha, Stan is the strangest pundit ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

p.pete wrote: »
    I'm watching a stream - is my stream seriously delayed or is this game ever going to start - Messi looks seriously pissed off in the tunnel so I'm guessing sounds of stan is being piped in.

If you're watching on veetle.com the stream is delayed by 30-40 seconds.

But yeah, it was supposed to start 5 mins ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Has the match started yet or is this stream of mine seriously delayed? Kids just leaving the pitch now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

come on keane, lets break that english goalscoring record! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement