Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina, 11th August

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

baz2009 wrote: »
    Insua 'cause he plays for Liverpool.
    Heinze 'cause he was angling for a move to Liverpool when he was at United and he got pissed off when Fergie wouldn't sell him to them.

Ah well that really clears it up for me ;)

so one of them is being booed cos he's playing for Liverpoll and the other one is because he wanted to. I thought Liverpool was rather popular in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sky sound out of sync again.

Like watching a dubbed film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

keane2097 wrote: »
    Duff was very good as well.
    His crossing was dissapointing for me. Other than that he was bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

murpho999 wrote: »

Staunton would fit in Monkey Magic . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

A bore. A complete and utter bore. Im glad I didnt shell out 50 Euro for that one. The Argies couldnt be bothered, Ireland didnt get out of Thrid Gear till the second half. Spent most of the evening chasing shadows, unable to get the ball off a fitter and more skillful team.

It is certainly better then the post World Cup hammering we recieved in August 2006 when the Netherlands came to town. We are more organised, and against weaker opposition we will have more of the ball. But a fighting spirit must be displayed.

My Ratings.
    1.S.Given 7 One save of note after picking the ball from the net
    2.P.McShane 5 Poor in the first half. Stronger and more mobile in 2nd
    3.K.Kilbane 4 Beaten to the ball several times. His time is up.
    4.J.O'Shea 5 Game passed him by.
    5.R.Dunne 7 The old reliable. Perhaps sluggish for goal. But remains our key.
    6.P.Green 6 Interesting run out. Some nice touches, and can pass.
    7.K.Fahey 7 Became more assured in 2nd half. I think he is one to watch.
    8.K.Andrews 5 Very quiet night for the man. Not as authorititive as Paris.
    9.C.Sheridan 5 Won some nice headers, but generally lethargic/
    10.R.Keane 6 The forms he has been showing at Club level was not there.
    11.D.Duff 7 Decent running, but was well marshelled by Argentina.

12.G.Cunnigham 5 Beaten several times. Will grow this term
    13.D.Gibson 5 Looks like another John O Shea
    14.K.Tracey 6 Has a pair of legs, and put in the night's best cross
    15.A.Keogh 7 Suprisingly effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know how anyone can say the performance was pitiful. The gulf in class between the two teams is massive. Forget the one shot on target stat, the key stat is the scoreline - only a 1-0 defeat (with a goal that was offside). Also remember that the manager of the team was in hospital and our assistant manager was in charge.

Considering the players out there I'm amazed we weren't beaten by a few goals. Many teams around our level would have been hockeyed out of it tonight. To have a competitive international game against a world class side is very encouraging stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I don't know how anyone can say the performance was pitiful. The gulf in class between the two teams is massive. Forget the one shot on target stat, the key stat is the scoreline - only a 1-0 defeat (with a goal that was offside). Also remember that the manager of the team was in hospital and our assistant manager was in charge.

Considering the players out there I'm amazed we weren't beaten by a few goals. Many teams around our level would have been hockeyed out of it tonight. To have a competitive international game against a world class side is very encouraging stuff.

be more encouraging if we had two players 'extra' on the pitch...

cough, cough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

murpho999 wrote: »

Was fine on Sky Hd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I'm wondering now will Ireland have trouble filling that stadium?

Any thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't know how anyone can say the performance was pitiful. The gulf in class between the two teams is massive. Forget the one shot on target stat,
    What was good from an Irish perspective? We stood off them and allowed them to play at their ease. Stepped it up a little in the second half but still only managed the one shot on target.
    Yes I know it was a friendly but with the occasion I expected a little more invention and endeavor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Didnt see the match but remember that he played the u21 match last night aswell, he'd be abit shtiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Aidric wrote: »
    What was good from an Irish perspective? We stood off them and allowed them to play at their ease. Stepped it up a little in the second half but still only managed the one shot on target.
    Yes I know it was a friendly but with the occasion I expected a little more invention and endeavor.

Shots on target is a bullisht stat tbh.

We had a lot of the ball, passed it well and created some good chances in the second half.

We also restricted Argentina to very few if any good chances.

Second half was very encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Aidric wrote: »

You couldn't have expected invention and endeavour from that team though with Green and Andrews in the centre? I would like to see different players involved personally but considering what was out there I thought they did the best they could. The first half was disappointing but in the second half we were much improved and Samuel in particular had to make some important tackles as did Demichelis near the end.

It's easy to point to the one shot on target stat as evidence of a poor display but that stat doesn't highlight the importance of the Argentina defenders in keeping that stat so low.

Looking at the two line-ups I was fearful of a defeat by a few goals so based on how it turned out, and the fact we actually managed to give them a game, I'd say that's a big positive to take out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That interview at the end of the match was embarrassing. I think it was Andy Burton, the man with a million mobile phones. Tried to stir **** by asking about the goal and then when Tardelli pretty much told him to cop on he was stumped and tried to come at the goal from a different angle. Should stick to pretending his phones are ringing with valuable transfer information.

Awful stuff really. Had a laugh at Steve Staunton's insistence at calling the Argentinians the Argies. He said it at least 7 or 8 times. Some man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Het-Field wrote: »
    A bore. A complete and utter bore. Im glad I didnt shell out 50 Euro for that one. The Argies couldnt be bothered, Ireland didnt get out of Thrid Gear till the second half. Spent most of the evening chasing shadows, unable to get the ball off a fitter and more skillful team.

It is certainly better then the post World Cup hammering we recieved in August 2006 when the Netherlands came to town. We are more organised, and against weaker opposition we will have more of the ball. But a fighting spirit must be displayed.

My Ratings.
    1.S.Given 7 One save of note after picking the ball from the net
    2.P.McShane 5 Poor in the first half. Stronger and more mobile in 2nd
    3.K.Kilbane 4 Beaten to the ball several times. His time is up.
    4.J.O'Shea 5 Game passed him by.
    5.R.Dunne 7 The old reliable. Perhaps sluggish for goal. But remains our key.
    6.P.Green 6 Interesting run out. Some nice touches, and can pass.
    7.K.Fahey 7 Became more assured in 2nd half. I think he is one to watch.
    8.K.Andrews 5 Very quiet night for the man. Not as authorititive as Paris.
    10.R.Keane 6 The forms he has been showing at Club level was not there.
    11.D.Duff 7 Decent running, but was well marshelled by Argentina.

12.G.Cunnigham 5 Beaten several times. Will grow this term
    13.D.Gibson 5 Looks like another John O Shea
    14.K.Tracey 6 Has a pair of legs, and put in the night's best cross
    15.A.Keogh 7 Suprisingly effective.

What's that supposed to mean?
    O'Shea is a very good player, and Gibson is an attack-minded midfielder, whereas JO'S is a defender.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Mister men wrote: »
    Giles you legend.
    Platini you ****

What did Platini do? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Pauleta wrote: »
    What did Platini do? :confused:

Does someone always haveto try and bring up the French game?

You know well what Platini is and I'm not going to say it incase I get an infraction.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

How on earth Paul McShane is even in the squad, is disgraceful.

And why was Sheridan playing after playing for the U21s???

Surely Leon Best and Caleb Folan should have been involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

baz2009 wrote: »
    Does someone always haveto try and bring up the French game?

You know well what Platini is and I'm not going to say it incase I get an infraction.

Well if Platini is being because he is French that is totally ridiculous.

Is it not because he is Uefa president?

Don't like him being booed as he was a legend of a player, and he should be remembered for that.

Find all this booing to be getting a bit like fans in England. We'll be booing opponents National Anthem's next if this keeps up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Shots on target is a bullisht stat tbh.

We had a lot of the ball, passed it well and created some good chances in the second half.

We also restricted Argentina to very few if any good chances.

Second half was very encouraging.

tell me your joking here,we couldn't string more than 6 or 7 passes together,we don't create space,our players arn't confident enough to take responsibility of the ball.We're rated around 36 in the world right now,we should be more like 60 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Genuine question - what has Platini done to deserve to be booed by Irish fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Kudos to B'OH for bringing up the Kilbane/McShane factor. For me, this outstanding weakness isn't being highlighted enough in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

greendom wrote: »

It was the ridiculous rigging of the draw for the playoffs, when "big" teams could well have faced each other, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

tolosenc wrote: »
    It was the ridiculous rigging of the draw for the playoffs, when "big" teams could well have faced each other, I'd imagine.

Ahh yes, if he's responsible for that I can see that it would warrant some animosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

greendom wrote: »

Irish fans havent a clue, booing players for playing for the wrong english clubs and booing a man trying to wrestle the game back from the moneymen, ****ing embarrassing

Kudos to B'OH for bringing up the Kilbane/McShane factor. For me, this outstanding weakness isn't being highlighted enough in the media.

McShane and Kilbane play for a team which was relegated pitifully last term. The former spent most of last season on the bench at Hull City, and has started life in the Championship on the bench.

Marc Wilson (absent tonight) was very impressive in a Pompey shirt last term, and will be instrumental in their attempts at recovery. Stephen Kelly regularly played in a team which got to the Europa Cup Final. Kevin Foley played well for a weak Premiership team which impressively retained it's premiership status last term. Joey O Brien is now returned from a long term injury, and Sean St ledger will be back for the next game. Im also not aware of Steve Finnan packing the international game in, and he will get a club in due course.

Equally, if Darren O Dea continues improving, it will be possible to move O Shea back to left back, with St ledger at Right Back.

If we can clear the decks of injuries, then there is no need for Kilbane or McShane to be picked.

McShane and Kilbane play for a team which was relegated pitifully last term. The former spent most of last season on the bench at Hull City, and has started life in the Championship on the bench.

Marc Wilson (absent tonight) was very impressive in a Pompey shirt last term, and will be instrumental in their attempts at recovery. Stephen Kelly regularly played in a team which got to the Europa Cup Final. Kevin Foley played well for a weak Premiership team which impressively retained it's premiership status last term. Joey O Brien is now returned from a long term injury, and Sean St ledger will be back for the next game. Im also not aware of Steve Finnan packing the international game in, and he will get a club in due course.

Equally, if Darren O Dea continues improving, it will be possible to move O Shea back to left back, with St ledger at Right Back.

If we can clear the decks of injuries, then there is no need for Kilbane or McShane to be picked.

Yeah, pretty much concur with all that.

Lest we forget Stephen Ward and Seamus Coleman.

They fcuking still will be though.

That's the one glaring problem with this management regime - a incredibly rigid adherence to obviously sub-optimal selection policies.

Very frustrating tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Why is Paul Green an Irish player? Why did the management feel the need to nationalise an average (at best) 27 year old , when we have equally good and younger Irish players to play in that position??

Why is McShane becoming a regular?? Why is he in the squad?

I agree with the earlier posts, some of the selection decisions have been a little strange to say the least.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Why is Paul Green an Irish player? Why did the management feel the need to nationalise an average (at best) 27 year old , when we have equally good and younger Irish players to play in that position??

I agree with the earlier posts, some of the selection decisions have been a little strange to say the least.

Both Kevin Nolan and Jamie O Hara should have been persued with vigour. The same applies to Mark Noble, who doesnt have a hope in hell of representing England.

Green is ok. I dont think there is any harm in having him around. He has done nothing wrong in his first three games in a Green shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

DB10 wrote: »
    How on earth Paul McShane is even in the squad, is disgraceful.

And why was Sheridan playing after playing for the U21s???

Surely Leon Best and Caleb Folan should have been involved?

Mcshane was probably Ireland's best player tonight to give him his due.
    Best and Folan injured. Ben Burgess should have been given a chance in my opinion.

See, this is an issue I find almost on par of worriment as Kilbane/McShane. I just don't see the point in having him in the squad! He's a player that has spent his whole career in the lower leagues and will probably never play in the English top tier. No disrespect, but there's plenty of young, Irish players in the Championship that should have gotten a call up before him.

Green is ok. I dont think there is any harm in having him around. He has done nothing wrong in his first three games in a Green shirt.

Thats the whole point he's just ....ok. I'd put Gibson, Whelan, and Andrews ahead of him. I'd also love to see McCarthy getting a look in.

IMO we also should be looking very closely at Meyler. He's quality. We don't need to be nationlising players like Green.

Thats the whole point he's just ....ok. I'd put Gibson, Whelan, and Andrews ahead of him. I'd also love to see McCarthy getting a look in.

IMO we also should be looking very closely at Meyler. He's quality. We don't need to be nationlising players like Green.

Its all to do with discipline I reckon!
    Green does exactly what Trap wants him to do. Win the ball and pass it like one would a rugby ball. So does Andrews, so does Whelan. Gibson must have knocked it forward a few times in training obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Best and Folan injured. Ben Burgess should have been given a chance in my opinion.

have you been drinking?,he's a joke and i'd say not even McShane's ma would agree with that statement

See, this is an issue I find almost on par of worriment as Kilbane/McShane. I just don't see the point in having him in the squad! He's a player that has spent his whole career in the lower leagues and will probably never play in the English top tier. No disrespect, but there's plenty of young, Irish players in the Championship that should have gotten a call up before him.

Spot on. Wes Hoolahan is twice as good as ANY of our midfield players. He should have been drafted in long ago.

We are crying out for some creativity in there!

How the **** can we go to the euros with Andrews, Green, Gibson and Whelan as our midfield.

What a ****ing shambles! Bring in El Tel while we can!!

Spot on. Wes Hoolahan is twice as good as ANY of our midfield players. He should have been drafted in long ago.

How the **** can we go to the euros with Andrews, Green, Gibson and Whelan as our midfield.

I agree with everything except the highlighted bit... El Tel?? God no!

I've seen better 40 year olds on the astra turf than McShane..

****ebag

heavyballs wrote: »
    have you been drinking?,he's a joke and i'd say not even McShane's ma would agree with that statement

Im deadly seriously. Who was better tonight?
    Actually name an Irish player that had a decent game.

• Advertisement

I agree with everything except the highlighted bit... El Tel?? God no!

the drama queen came into in me in that last bit haha...:pac:

LOVE the name El Tel though...rolls of the tongue!

Andy Reid (injured at the mo though)
    Stephen Quinn
    Owen Garvan
    Chris McCann

Four more players that would be in my pecking order ahead of Green. The latter 3 playing at a similar level but a lot younger.

Foley was good when he came on as was St Ledger..

McShane has carved out a career by being noticed. His mop of red hair flowing as he runs around the pitch like a headless chicken. His touch is awful, he has no pace, he has no composure, no creativity. O'Shea and Dunne were both better than him tonight. They put in a normal professional performance. He as usual was a liability.

Andy Reid (injured at the mo though)
    Stephen Quinn
    Owen Garvan
    Chris McCann

Four more players that would be in my pecking order ahead of Green. The latter 3 playing at a similar level but a lot younger.

Wes Hoolahan is better than any of them bar Reid and we know the situation there.

I think the famed scouting network only picks up on PL or Championship games though so it will be 2011 before they probably notice Hoolahan in the Championship this year!

McShane has carved out a career by being noticed. His mop of red hair flowing as he runs around the pitch like a headless chicken. His touch is awful, he has no pace, he has no composure, no creativity. O'Shea and Dunne were both better than him tonight. They put in a normal professional performance. He as usual was a liability.

Listen im not saying he should be in the team or anything but I honestly feel the chap done ok tonight and credit where credit is due.Maybe its just I expect worst from him and find it a surprise whenever he does something positive.

• Advertisement

McShane knew the right names in youth football, got his trial with United. Made a career from being ex Man Utd.

The likes of Keane love these players. And when Keane and Ferguson have both had him, no doubt some mickey mouse Phil Brown type would pick him up as he did.

Its a disgrace that McCann has been overlooked. And for what? Falling out with Don Givens?

McShane is a terrible, terrible player, but actually did play ok tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

McShane is a terrible, terrible player, but actually did play ok tonight.

No he didn't, your glasses / tv are broken.

I'm just going to ignore the last sentence and assume you're a little smashed. :D

Agree with everything else though.

Whelan is semi-decent (sorry to say maybe even that's a tad generous) and our best central midfielder.
    Gibson might come good but I don't really see what he offers apart from his his trademark cannon of a shot. Needs to impose himself more.
    It pains me to admit it because he's such an honest player, but Andrews is one of the worst players that plays regularly in the Premier League. No exaggeration.
    Green - WTF?

• Advertisement
Advertisement