Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland vs Argentina, 11th August

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Listen im not saying he should be in the team or anything but I honestly feel the chap done ok tonight and credit where credit is due.Maybe its just I expect worst from him and find it a surprise whenever he does something positive.

if the aim of the game was to kick the ball into the upper tier of the west stand, then yes, he was fantastic. i'm not sure if that was picked up on the tv, but there was a fairly decent spell of passing when the ball came out to mcshane on the line and he let it go under his foot. in frustration he just leathered it away and it got to the top tier. he was awful in the football game tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I think its time for Trap or anyone for that matter to have a word in Kilbane's ear to tell him hes been a good servant for us and all but he can retire his position in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

if the aim of the game was to kick the ball into the upper tier of the west stand, then yes, he was fantastic. i'm not sure if that was picked up on the tv, but there was a fairly decent spell of passing when the ball came out to mcshane on the line and he let it go under his foot. in frustration he just leathered it away and it got to the top tier. he was awful in the football game tough.

Yes it was picked up on TV and caused more than a little laughter from everybody watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If you guys honestly think mcshane played ok tonight then I wouldn't want to see him on an off day. He was by far the worst player on the pitch. He didn't belong. He was under pressure even with the most simple balls. After a couple of scenes that raised my eyebrows I made a point of watching out for him and jeez after a while I thought that's probably what I would look like down there.

Edit: almost forgot. The fact he's useless doesn't stop him from waving his arms around pointing here and there telling others where to cover or to go or whatever. Blody hell how did he get in the squad in the first place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually thought McShane did OK too (for him). He made mistakes and was caught out but generally recovered.

As the season goes on though, and players get fitter and sharper, I'm pretty sure his mistakes will be punished ruthlessly as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Het-Field wrote: »
    Both Kevin Nolan and Jamie O Hara should have been persued with vigour. The same applies to Mark Noble, who doesnt have a hope in hell of representing England.

Green is ok. I dont think there is any harm in having him around. He has done nothing wrong in his first three games in a Green shirt.

I agree with both points 100%. Also (aside from Carlton Cole) Gary Cahill was the only outfield player in the English squad not to be brought on tonight yet again. He's not going to be capped under Capello. These fellas should be pursued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CiaranC wrote: »
    Irish fans havent a clue, booing players for playing for the wrong english clubs and booing a man trying to wrestle the game back from the moneymen, ****ing embarrassing

Was cringeworthy last night. Booing a player because he plays for a rival ENGLISH club. How pathetic are we as a nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

doncarlos wrote: »
    Was cringeworthy last night. Booing a player because he plays for a rival ENGLISH club. How pathetic are we as a nation.

surely you mean how pathetic are a small bunch of vocal people attending a friendly match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

surely you mean how pathetic are a small bunch of vocal people attending a friendly match?

People pay their money to go into a game and are perfectly entitled to cheer players they like or boo players they don't like.

Getting pissy about something that trivial just baffles me tbh, I'd say Mascherano was badly affected by it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

keane2097 wrote: »
    People pay their money to go into a game and are perfectly entitled to cheer players they like or boo players they don't like.

Getting pissy about something that trivial just baffles me tbh, I'd say Mascherano was badly affected by it :rolleyes:

No one is entitled to boo. Do not get how a human being can boo another. Disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree completely. .

I think its a snobbish thing . .

"Oh my , what will the argentinians or rest of the world think of us if they see us booing players because they are disliked by certain sections of fans!"

Once Irish fans dont take to consistantly booing our own team (like a certain section of fans across the pond) , I dont really care much how they boo rival teams.

Doesnt usually happen in Gaelic because there is more respect for the teams and the players and between fans . . In soccer, its just part of the panto that follows the game and in many regards has been encouraged by FIFA's lack of ethics or morals and constant drive to make more money at the expense of the games soul . . .

Case in point "Fairplay awards and flags before games" but when a big nation is threatened with not making it further in competition , do everything you can to get them there at the expense of fairness . . Yes, fairplay only exists when it suits in soccer , so dont make me laugh about one of the more trivial negatives of soccer - Booing . .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Slightly off topic but I wasn't overly impressed with the new Landsdown. Those bars across the top of the stands are ****ing ridiculous. They are right in your eyeline so are very annoying and they block the big screen! Surely there could have been a way to build a ground without those stupid things! They really annoyed me and I wasn't even right up the back.

Also the fact that you can't buy a pint is a joke! They have bars everywhere and no pints. There was about ten staff manning the bars with nothing to do. What the hell was John Delaney ****ing on about super fast taps if they are never going to be used? It's the last time i'll be going in early to a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Lads was watcing the highlight coverage on RTE after sky and the opened with old coverage from games from Landsdowne Road.

And there was music being played along with the footage, and the Lyrics I've Come Home were in it, i thought it was excellent.

Does anyone know who sings that song or the name of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Have to say, I enjoyed that game yesterday! New Lansdowne is cracking IMO, fair play.

Fahey did okay-ish, looked a bit unfit or something, but clearly showed he can hold his own at that level :)

Thought Sheridan, Andrews, McShane and Kilbane were awful. Cunningham looked decent when he came on, and I suppose with the likes of Foley and Coleman and maybe even Ste Kelly to come into the squad, we should be alright at full back. Hopefully!

Oh and the booing of Mascherano was ridiculous. Didn't mind the booing of Heinze as he's a bit of a canut, but there was no need to give Mascerano abuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Mcshane was probably Ireland's best player tonight to give him his due.

Everyman has a right to his opinion.

I'd say though you are part of a microscopic minority, he was beyond poor - the man couldn't even control the ball or put a decent run of the mill tackle in.

The cross-field ball, although majestic from Mascherano - made McShane look worse than a schoolboy.

Deep problems in the right-back slot that really needs to be addressed very quickly.

Just my 2 cents.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I wasn't overly impressed with the new Landsdown. Those bars across the top of the stands are ****ing ridiculous. They are right in your eyeline so are very annoying and they block the big screen! Surely there could have been a way to build a ground without those stupid things! They really annoyed me and I wasn't even right up the back.

Also the fact that you can't buy a pint is a joke! They have bars everywhere and no pints. There was about ten staff manning the bars with nothing to do. What the hell was John Delaney ****ing on about super fast taps if they are never going to be used? It's the last time i'll be going in early to a match.

What we're the selling - Short's & Wine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

The Stadium is fairly good to be honest, despite the silly half terrace at the end. Someone had commented, after the Man Utd match, that the atmosphere stays in the stadium and the noise is much better than the old Landsdowne. Now this is total sh**e. Once again there was little or no atmosphere.

A few United supporters slagging the Liverpool players aside, there was no singing. There was a section of 200 fans standing up for the whole match, doing their best to get involved, and they were great. Lot of respect for them. The rest of the fans just dont sing. I dont get it. 3 chants of 'Ireland', when ever we get a corner. But for the most part nothing else.

Can anybody explain the 'Lansdowne Roar' myth. Why are Irish fans afraid to sing at home. Away games are the best. Everybody sings and gets involved, cos they are 'irish abroad'. Are we embarrassed?

Can anybody who was there tell me what they thought of the atmosphere and the crowd involvement. I know it was a friendly, but I have been to full important matches, and am never impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm been trying to decide this since the game last night. Has McShane the worst first touch of any footballer ever to play professionally? I can't think of anyone worse to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I mean people who pay that crazy money to get into that nice stadium are entitled to shout whatever they like within reason and that surely includes booing.

But on the whole it's just ridiculous. In an international match one should appreciate the occasion and the great players on the pitch (and that includes Gabriel Heinze btw, I don't care if people think he's an arsehole - he's a great player) and leave their petty club antics at home.

I mean different story if someone is an out and out w^nker, e.g. killed a granny drink driving or along the lines of that, but being booed for playing in the wrong club on such an occasion just shows the booers up as very childish, clueless and petty people IMHO.

Edit: Oh, and please return Paul McShane to the astro leagues before he can do any more damage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Manc-Red wrote: »
    What we're the selling - Short's & Wine?

No alcohol at all. Few fizzy drinks is about it. Food prices are extortionate as well.
    The Stadium is fairly good to be honest, despite the silly half terrace at the end. Someone had commented, after the Man Utd match, that the atmosphere stays in the stadium and the noise is much better than the old Landsdowne. Now this is total sh**e. Once again there was little or no atmosphere.

I take it you weren't sitting high up in the upper tiers then? Those bars completely ruin the stadium. I'm getting onto the FAI today to see if they can move my season ticket seats lower down because your view is totally ruined up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It seems soccer fans are considered hooligans and can't be trusted with alcohol. Even though its often the very same people who go to GAA or rugby games, where they can drink away!

I take it you weren't sitting high up in the upper tiers then? Those bars completely ruin the stadium. I'm getting onto the FAI today to see if they can move my season ticket seats lower down because your view is totally ruined up there.

No, I was sitting 10 rows from the pitch, which is a terrible seat, cos you cant see anything on the other side of the pitch and so have to resort to the screens. But this happens in any stadium. I always ended up in the 3rd row in Croker, which was worse!

Was there any atmosphere up in the upper tiers?

Was there any atmosphere up in the upper tiers?

Not really although in fairness there wasn't much atmosphere anywhere bar a few times in the second half. Fair play to the singing section though, they never stopped for the entire match. Gonna see if can get moved down there.

Fair play to the singing section though, they never stopped for the entire match. Gonna see if can get moved down there.

Totally. They were great. Why cant ther set one end aside and state that if you are sitting there, you have to be prepared to stand and sing. If you are not gonna do that, then sit elsewhere. Thats what many clubs do, and then have one whole end that drives the stadium. What baffles me is that there is nobody driving the atmosphere at Ireland games. It annoys me, cos many Irish fans believe that we are the best fans in the world ect, which is simply not true (at home games)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

CiaranC wrote: »
    Irish fans havent a clue, booing players for playing for the wrong english clubs and booing a man trying to wrestle the game back from the moneymen, ****ing embarrassing

I was at the game last night and about 5 mins into the game heinze got tackled and was rolling around like a twat. Was just short of waving the imaginery card. That is why he was booed imo. The platini thing i didnt even notice, however you cant say that he is trying to wrestle the game from the money men, he is having a go at english clubs despite the fact spanish and some italian clubs operate the same business system.

Also he is the head of an association which allowed the playoffs to be seeded despite the fact the group stages were already seeded. This was never the way things were done before so why change it. An open draw is much more interesting for nuetrals never mind the smaller countries.

I think the team for the next game will see some change i.e St Ledger back and Cunningham/Coleman in. The 1st game at the new stadium i think Kilbane deserved a run out for his service to Irish football however i do hope he is now either a squad man or dropped completely. Probably wishful thinking but sure wat can you do.

Ireland V Andorra (hopefully)
    1.Shay Given
    2.John O Shea
    3.Greg Cunningham
    4.Sean St Ledger
    5.Richard Dunne
    6.Glenn Whelan
    7.Damian Duff
    8.James McCarthy
    9.Kevin Doyle
    10.Robbie Keane
    11. Liam Lawrence

If keith tracey gets some good club game time might put him in before lawrence or duff. Also would like to see Seamus Coleman in the squad he is looks a real talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Hats off to the lads from YBG who put in a cracking effort for the hole game at getting an atmosphere going.
    Was in with them for it and there wasn't a moment they didn't try urge the lads and the rest of the ground on, top stuff will be trying for tickets in the lower south for every game.

Have to say Lansdowne is a quality Stadium and tax payers money well spent.
    There didn't seem to be any issues with the tunnel under the dart on our entrance or leaving which had been reported before, thought it was handy out compared to the crush before at the old crossing.

The pitch looks like a snooker table so shouldn't be any issues there like before when a series of footy and rugby games are on in the Autumn.
    The only thing that might help is signs up on the approach roads to indicate which colour zone to use for which entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the small North stand was very well integrated to the stadium and did not take away from the place or give it a 'half finished' look.

Planning regulations meant that that end of the ground could not be as high as the other three sides and I think the designers did a great job in integrating it.

Overall i though the stadium was good, from the seats it had a very 'tight' and 'enclosed' feel to it which will really help the atmosphere when it is full and during a game that actually matters.

Surprised the place was not full last night for the first international games there against a world class opposition.
    I saw lots of premium level (Vantage Club ?) seats empty but that was not surprising but there were also lots of seats in the stands not filled.

The attandance was announced at 45,000 which kinda proves that 50K is plenty big for soccer.

Were you able to buy beer at soccer games in Croke Park or is this rule new to the new stadium ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Couldn't get a beer at the Montenagro game at Croker in Sept.

Maybe its weeknight thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Some of the comments here from during the game are laughable. Maybe one of you questioned whether something happened off camera which resulted in the booing of certain players. 3 players were boo'd, Heinze, Masherano and Samuel. Heinze as he did the usual roll 300 times flash the card and then grab a player by side of the head trick. Booing fully merited.
    Mascherano laced Duffer out of it, whinged about it, then when the crowd started giving him some, made a gesture to us in the South Terrace. The booing persisted.
    Samuel was for the bodycheck off ball on McSham, again fully merited.

There hasn't been drink sold at an Irish football match in donkeys. It's a Uefa/Fifa regulation. So no need to go off on one.

Lansdowne has the potential to be brilliant. The small stand takes in no way away from the stadium given the planning restrictions, and in its own way makes the stadium unique. The wall of glass looks pretty cool. I love the place already. Anyone who gives out about it, remember the gates and being stuck in a mart waiting for them to lift? The underpass removes all that.

The SS was small but we'd plenty of fun there.

Why do people find the concept of booing at an international so difficult, I mean do you all forget the games where we'd play in Eastern European countries where the grounds were cauldrons? Jesus, it's no wonder so many in there sit on their hands and don't get involved if this thread is any indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kingdom wrote: »
    Some of the comments here from during the game are laughable. Maybe one of you questioned whether something happened off camera which resulted in the booing of certain players. 3 players were boo'd, Heinze, Masherano and Samuel. Heinze as he did the usual roll 300 times flash the card and then grab a player by side of the head trick. Booing fully merited.
    Mascherano laced Duffer out of it, whinged about it, then when the crowd started giving him some, made a gesture to us in the South Terrace. The booing persisted.
    Samuel was for the bodycheck off ball on McSham, again fully merited.

There hasn't been drink sold at an Irish football match in donkeys. It's a Uefa/Fifa regulation. So no need to go off on one.

Lansdowne has the potential to be brilliant. The small stand takes in no way away from the stadium given the planning restrictions, and in its own way makes the stadium unique. The wall of glass looks pretty cool. I love the place already. Anyone who gives out about it, remember the gates and being stuck in a mart waiting for them to lift? The underpass removes all that.

The SS was small but we'd plenty of fun there.

Why do people find the concept of booing at an international so difficult, I mean do you all forget the games where we'd play in Eastern European countries where the grounds were cauldrons? Jesus, it's no wonder so many in there sit on their hands and don't get involved if this thread is any indication.

You are annoying.

e.

I dont have any major issue on booing, so long as it isnt race related. But the Eastern European grounds are cauldrons. So why isnt Landsdowne. Thats my point. 45k real irish fans, and not a peep out of any of them, aside from the 2-300 lads down the end who were great. I stood up and sang, and got stared at, and left on my own, and I was in amongst lads who have season tickets, and talk of the great time they have at games.

I would like to know if any you lot that are saying it's a great stadium were sitting high up in the upper tiers? I doubt you would have the same opinion if you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Some of the comments here from during the game are laughable. Maybe one of you questioned whether something happened off camera which resulted in the booing of certain players.

Reality doesn't fit in with certain posters agendas.

noodler wrote: »
    You are annoying.

That's a pity, could you tell what's annoying so maybe I can post in a manner you'd like next time?

I would like to know if any you lot that are saying it's a great stadium were sitting high up in the upper tiers? I doubt you would have the same opinion if you were.

Kingp,
    I've heard that it's not hectic if you're in the back half of the upper tier, and I did mention earlier we were in the SS which is lower South Stand, so of course our experiences would be differing.
    All I can say is from where we were, the noise was bouncing around, and with a few more Ireland fans, or people willing to let go a little the experience might be good. Obviously that isn't going to affect you if your sightlines are affected. One thing I'd say though is that the FAI are being extremely accomodating at the moment with people moving allocations around, so might be no harm giving them a shout.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I was at the game last night and about 5 mins into the game heinze got tackled and was rolling around like a twat. Was just short of waving the imaginery card. That is why he was booed imo.

Why were Heinze, Mascerano and Tevez booed when the teams were being read out? If you were at the game you would have heard this too.
    It was almost as pathetic as lads cheering an English side on against an Irish side last week

I dont have any major issue on booing, so long as it isnt race related. But the Eastern European grounds are cauldrons. So why isnt Landsdowne. Thats my point. 45k real irish fans, and not a peep out of any of them, aside from the 2-300 lads down the end who were great. I stood up and sang, and got stared at, and left on my own, and I was in amongst lads who have season tickets, and talk of the great time they have at games.

Totally, I don't think anyone condones that, certainly none that I would go to matches with on a regular basis. That type of garbage would be stamped out pretty quick.

Wait a minute. I've no problem with booing players but the reason for the booing was pathetic. Booing a player because he plays for a BRITISH club shows how sad the average football fan is in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Wait a minute. I've no problem with booing players but the reason for the booing was pathetic. Booing a player because he plays for a BRITISH club shows how sad the average football fan is in this country.

surely it shows how sad those who boo'd were. Not sure what its got to do with the average fan :confused: Did 20,000 boo ? serious question btw, I don't live in Ireland and have no interest in watching friendlies.

I was about half way up in the Upper West Stand at the half way line, beside the media seats.

I view was fine, as you would expect from that location in any modern stadium.

Overall i though the stadium was as advertised, a good modern stadium, but nothing spectacular

I went up to the very last row before the game to see what the view was like including those support structures, and even though they were annoying if you were looking across at the other stand, they did not impair a view of the field

Kingp,
    I've heard that it's not hectic if you're in the back half of the upper tier, and I did mention earlier we were in the SS which is lower South Stand, so of course our experiences would be differing.
    All I can say is from where we were, the noise was bouncing around, and with a few more Ireland fans, or people willing to let go a little the experience might be good. .

The SS is the place that most posters have mentioned, with the gang of fans who were constantly singing. There is no disputing that down there the atmosphere was great. But in the rest of the stadium it was pretty poor. And my point is 'when are other people going to let go a little'?? What will it take for them to let go a little?

They're booing him because they don't like him.

They should probably pretend not to know anything about him in case it would disturb the sensibilities of the anti-Brit brigade to think that people here would actually be treasonous enough to keep an eye on media from 100 miles away across the Irish sea :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why were Heinze, Mascerano and Tevez booed when the teams were being read out? If you were at the game you would have heard this too.
    It was almost as pathetic as lads cheering an English side on against an Irish side last week

I was at the game and heard a barely audible booing of Tevez, sounded like a handful of people. Didn't hear the other two booed when the teams were read out. I think some people need to stop being so precious.
    And my point is 'when are other people going to let go a little'?? What will it take for them to let go a little?

Beer served at the games might help...as sad as that sounds.

They're booing him because they don't like him.

They should probably pretend not to know anything about him in case it would disturb the sensibilities of the anti-Brit brigade to think that people here would actually be treasonous enough to keep an eye on media from 100 miles away across the Irish sea :rolleyes:

Why do they not like him? It's because he plays/played for another ENGLISH football team. I'm not anti-Brit, but if someone is supporting Ireland why would they care what English football team a member of the opposition plays for.
    I was at the game and heard a barely audible booing of Tevez, sounded like a handful of people. Didn't hear the other two booed when the teams were read out. I think some people need to stop being so precious.

You should get your hearing checked as it was more than a "handful". It's not being precious, it's being embarrassed by your countrymen

Why do they not like him? It's because he plays/played for another ENGLISH football team. I'm not anti-Brit, but if someone is supporting Ireland why would they care what English football team a member of the opposition plays for.

Why shouldn't they care? You can't dislike something unless it's from your country?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    surely it shows how sad those who boo'd were. Not sure what its got to do with the average fan :confused: Did 20,000 boo ? serious question btw, I don't live in Ireland and have no interest in watching friendlies.

Not 20,000 but quite a few. Wasn't as bad as the idiots that boo Rangers players though.

I think players such as Bellamy,Savage, Masherano & Tevez will always be booed anywhere their playing away.

Not saying thats the treatment they deserve or anything.

• Advertisement

Why shouldn't they care? You can't dislike something unless it's from your country?

Where have I said that? You don't find it strange that nobody else was booed apart from three players that played for Liverpool and United when the names where called out?

Advertisement