Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License for an air rifle?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Could anybody here tell me would I need a license for an air rifle? I am 19 years old and this would be my first air rifle. Also, if anybody could recommend any good ones. I would be using it for hunting rabbits.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yes a license is needed to own an air rifle as it is classed as a firearm.

You must apply to your local Garda station using an FCA1 application form. All the information you need regarding how to fill in the FCA1, referees, security needs, etc , etc can be found here.

I have no personal experience with air rifle, but here is a thread of suggestions until the other lads come along with more.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Hi folks, I have a pretty specific question regarding air rifles. A relative operates a shooting gallery at a carnival, using .177" air rifles.The carnival moves around the country every few days and she has always applied to the local Superintendant for a temporary licence (Limited Firearm Certificate?) covering the period she is in the Garda District. Her most recent licence was issued without any problems less than a month ago, under Section 2 of the 1925 Firearms Act, as amended by Section 15 of the 1964 Act.

She has run into difficulties with her local Superintendant, who is new in the position and is insisting that she obtain a full Firearm Certificate for the rifles. This has never been a requirement before and I am wondering if
    1 - there has been a change in the licencing in the last few weeks
    2 - the Superintendant is mistaken
    or
    3 - the choice of full or temporary licences is at the discretion of the Superintendant.

Any info on this issue would be much appreciated, she has operated a gallery in carnivals for over 20 years and has never had difficulties in obtaining the required certificates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

concussion wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have a pretty specific question regarding air rifles. A relative operates a shooting gallery at a carnival, using .177" air rifles.The carnival moves around the country every few days and she has always applied to the local Superintendant for a temporary licence (Limited Firearm Certificate?) covering the period she is in the Garda District. Her most recent licence was issued without any problems less than a month ago, under Section 2 of the 1925 Firearms Act, as amended by Section 15 of the 1964 Act.

She has run into difficulties with her local Superintendant, who is new in the position and is insisting that she obtain a full Firearm Certificate for the rifles. This has never been a requirement before and I am wondering if
    1 - there has been a change in the licencing in the last few weeks
    2 - the Superintendant is mistaken
    or
    3 - the choice of full or temporary licences is at the discretion of the Superintendant.

Any info on this issue would be much appreciated, she has operated a gallery in carnivals for over 20 years and has never had difficulties in obtaining the required certificates.

A tough one, First Rifle I ever fired was at a carnival.

They had 3 .177 firing darts.

Although, I have not seen/or heard of airrifle at a Carni in years

The system changed for applications this year.
    So it is a grey area, as I suspect only a handful of individuals have had the permit you mentioned
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=4144

Or ring the Firearms unit in the Pheonix park for clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Well firstly it's not a grey area and has been in the Firearms Acts since 1964.

Section 2(4)(e):
    (e) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm (other than a shot-gun) of a calibre not exceeding .23 inches or of ammunition by a person operating a range or shooting gallery in an amusement hall or at a fun fair, carnival or other like event for the purposes of the range or shooting gallery who stands authorised in that behalf under this section or by a person using such range or shooting gallery,

The local Superintendent issues an authorisation under the above section for a period of up to one year and for his district only. If the funfair moves to another district they either get a removal order to the new district for all the firearms or get another authorisation from the new district.

There are more details in Section 2(5)(a):
    (5) (a) The Superintendent of any district may authorise in writing the possession, use or carriage of firearms or ammunition in that district in any of the circumstances specified in paragraphs (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (j) or (k) of subsection (4) of this section or of any component parts of a firearm, during such period, not exceeding one year, as may be specified in the authorisation.

Just to add that removal orders can be obtained in advance if the funfair owner knows the dates and places of their movements for the next year. This can make the process less paperwork intensive.

When you get a removal order to take an authorised firearm from one district to another, you should also get a removal order from that district to bring it back to its originating district.

A very messy bunch of paperwork indeed, and getting a blanket removal order for all the movements for the duration of the authorisation is easier.

P.S. Tack: Why do you feel the need to answer every post when you clearly don't know the answer? All you're doing is confusing people :rolleyes:

If you don't know, walk away, keep your hands in your pockets and resist the impulse to click the 'quote' button. You MUST resist :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info rrpc. If I understand it correctly then, the documentation she has been receiving in each Garda District is an authorisation from the Superintendant to have said firearms in her possession under the 1964 Amendment to 2/1925. This is not a firearms certificate and is temporary in nature.

Would I be correct in saying, then, that the local Superintendant may refuse to issue an authorisation and instead insist on her acquiring a Firearms Certificate while other Superintendants may continue to issue authorisations for their own districts?

Thanks for the info rrpc. If I understand it correctly then, the documentation she has been receiving in each Garda District is an authorisation from the Superintendant to have said firearms in her possession under the 1964 Amendment to 2/1925. This is not a firearms certificate and is temporary in nature.
    It is a firearms certificate, albeit under a different subsection of the section of the act that gives force to firearms certificates.
    Would I be correct in saying, then, that the local Superintendant may refuse to issue an authorisation and instead insist on her acquiring a Firearms Certificate while other Superintendants may continue to issue authorisations for their own districts?
    They may refuse to issue an authorisation, but there would be no real reason for them to do so since (from what I understand) they have no objection to issuing firearms certificates. It'd be like saying that you can't have a licence to drive a car, but you can have one to drive a small van :rolleyes:

Section 2(4)(e) and all the other subsections to sections 2(3) and 2(4) were introduced to cover the various eventualities people found themselves in where they didn't actually need a firearms certificate, or needed one in such occasional circumstances that using a standard certificate would be unwieldy or unworkable. Situations like couriers, auctioneers and funfairs among many others.

The important part of 2(4)(e) is that not only does it confer the right to possess and use the firearms to the person who owns them, but it also gives the right to the patrons of the funfair to use them. A standard firearms certificate does not allow that.

Brilliant stuff, thanks for the help. So if the Superintendant insists that she gets a standard certificate instead of her usual Sec 2 (e) certificate she would not be able to use them in the course of her business? If that's the case, it would appear that the Superintendant has made a simple error and that the situation should be resolved easily enough. :)

Brilliant stuff, thanks for the help. So if the Superintendant insists that she gets a standard certificate instead of her usual Sec 2 (e) certificate she would not be able to use them in the course of her business? If that's the case, it would appear that the Superintendant has made a simple error and that the situation should be resolved easily enough. :)
    That would be my reading of it. Authorisations are not that uncommon, but the more usual version is the 2(4)(d) one which allows clubs hold firearms and members to use the club and other firearms on the range.

There is a Firearms Policy Unit of the Gardai who deal with such matters, and it could be suggested that the Superintendent phone them for guidance. I have no doubt that they will understand the situation and advise him accordingly.

Advertisement