Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedgehog in back garden

Options
  • 27-07-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

i was woken in the middle of the night with my 2 dogs going beserk, when i went out the back i realised that 1 was barking at a hedgehog, it has now taken refuge behind my oil tank were we cant see or reach it but can hear it. Does anyone no how we could get it out? and were would the best place to release it be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you leave it alone the chances are it'll go out itself tonight. They can roam 1km each night so will probably go back out the way it came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

Turn on your frying pan, put a little oil into it.

Wait until the wee hours of the morning and he will come out. Pluck out his spines and pop on tHe pan....mmmm :p

OR, OR you could just let the little critter wander away and keep your dogs in :p

Clear choice in my view :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

the only thing is i have 2 boxers out the back and cant bring them in because i have a kitten in the kitchen so i cant leave it alone. do you no what they eat to try and get it to come out and we could catch it then

They eat dog food, so if you have any tinned food you could give that a shot. Avoid any with fish in it though, not good for them. You may not get massive success until dusk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

if i did get lucky to get it out from behind the oil tank how would i pick it up? would it bite me?

• Advertisement

It won't bite you. It'll roll into a ball so if you have a pair of gardening gloves the you can pick it up that way. You could then put in your front garden under a bush so it can wander off when it's dark. If you don't have gloves then just roll it gently onto your palms and then balance the weight between your 2 hands, it doesn't really hurt, it's just a little uncomfortable.

Unfortunately I'm an expert at this stage,I dont even need gloves now! One of my dogs thinks all hedgehogs need to come into the house for some reason so I'm always having to pick them up and put them back outside. My dogs are banned from the garden after dark for that very reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hedgehogs are a gardeners friend. Be careful with ticks and fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant so be careful not to give it milk or cheese etc!

Advertisement