Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights to Sydney

Options
  • 27-07-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I am heading over to Austrailia in October for a year and am currently looking for flights. Most airlines only go up to next June for return flights. Anyone know wheres best to book return flights for a year be it online or in Dublin. Also which airline would you recommend, got a price in USIT with malaysian air but was told to avoid them. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Slunk wrote: »
    I am heading over to Austrailia in October for a year and am currently looking for flights. Most airlines only go up to next June for return flights. Anyone know wheres best to book return flights for a year be it online or in Dublin. Also which airline would you recommend, got a price in USIT with malaysian air but was told to avoid them. Any help appreciated.

I booked RTW flights with USIT and found them excellent and they even did the Australian Visitor Electronic Visa for us also. We flew Qantas all the way from Heathrow-Singapore-Perth-Melbourne-Sydney-Los Angeles and the last leg from LA to Heathrow is with British Airways and Aer Lingus home then. Qantas are a great service airline and I highly recommend them, The A380 to LAX yesterday had oodles of space and power charging for the laptop, wifi (not working yesterday though!) and USB ports to juice up the iPod etc.

We exceeded our 23kgs checked allowance most of the way and nothing was said, the only incidents of note were the A380 flight to LA was 2 hours late and we were made to off load any excess carryon over 7kg to our checked bags, although they went overweight again nothing was said. I also flew internally on a separately booked flight from Brisbane to Sydney and again they were excellent. The Aussies don't travel light and the amount of bags they carry is unreal.

Ryanair and Mick leary would not stay in business there too long up against real airlines. The fares are slightly more but well worth in terms of value compared to cheaper airlines.

The advantage of booking with USIT or any other Irish travel agent is the Aer Lingus-Qantas flight are linked and the baggage is checked through at Heathrow saving all the hassle and time of having to reclaim the luggage and re checkin which would happen if you book direct from Qantas as they don't have a direct linkup system in place with the feeder airlines to their Heathrow hub and this is done by the travel agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Are you looking for the cheapest option or the best overall quality? Malaysian Air is not that bad I have flown with them and they were okay. I wouldn’t book anything through USIT they just charge you extra for things that you can easily do yourself if you have any sense.

Air Asia is probably the cheapest it’s like the Ryan Air of international flights and I mean that in every way although there customer service is a bit better you pay extra for your luggage meals and entertainment. They do work out a lot cheaper though. So my advice would be budget flight to London then Air Asia from London – KL – Australia. It will be a lot cheaper then most other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Stinicker wrote: »
    I booked RTW flights with USIT and found them excellent and they even did the Australian Visitor Electronic Visa for us also. We flew Qantas all the way from Heathrow-Singapore-Perth-Melbourne-Sydney-Los Angeles and the last leg from LA to Heathrow is with British Airways and Aer Lingus home then. Qantas are a great service airline and I highly recommend them, The A380 to LAX yesterday had oodles of space and power charging for the laptop, wifi (not working yesterday though!) and USB ports to juice up the iPod etc.

We exceeded our 23kgs checked allowance most of the way and nothing was said, the only incidents of note were the A380 flight to LA was 2 hours late and we were made to off load any excess carryon over 7kg to our checked bags, although they went overweight again nothing was said. I also flew internally on a separately booked flight from Brisbane to Sydney and again they were excellent. The Aussies don't travel light and the amount of bags they carry is unreal.

Ryanair and Mick leary would not stay in business there too long up against real airlines. The fares are slightly more but well worth in terms of value compared to cheaper airlines.

The advantage of booking with USIT or any other Irish travel agent is the Aer Lingus-Qantas flight are linked and the baggage is checked through at Heathrow saving all the hassle and time of having to reclaim the luggage and re checkin which would happen if you book direct from Qantas as they don't have a direct linkup system in place with the feeder airlines to their Heathrow hub and this is done by the travel agent.

Ignore most of this advice and avoidd USIT - everything positive (bags over KGS, not needing to book separate aer lingus/quantas flights etc) are nothing to do with USIT - they just charge a rip off amount on top of you doing it yourself and they do not save you any time or hassle on anything.

and as for the second part - you can book with Quantas or Aerlingus direct from Dublin to where ever and you do not need to book the separate legs from Dublin Heathrow...this goes for almost all linked air lines...I hope you didnt fall for USITS spin on this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I've booked Dublin to Frankfurt flying with Aer Lingus then Frankfurt to Singapore to Sydney to Christchurch with Qantas. That's flying in the fifth of October. The reason I was told that you can't book a year in advance is due to airlines not having dates available yet for that far away. I think my return is booked for may but I have no intention of using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    they just charge a rip off amount on top of you doing it yourself and they do not save you any time or hassle on anything.

Did you have a bad experience with them?
    I've used them several times and I always quote around. It's really up to the customers to educate themselves. It's really not hard to get a few quotes from different sources.

Get your visa yourself online but still get quotes for the flights.

Don't use a travel agent if you want but to me it seems daft not to get them to quote so at least you can compare against the competition.

I've seen guys on Boards quoting great deals they've gotten on the internet going from the UK and then gotten similar deals for myself going from Dublin with local agents.

As to the ops questions, some airlines will allow you to change your date up to a year after you leave. They might charge a fee for this so clarify with the airline or agent before buying. Normally 2 X one way tickets are a fair bit pricier than 1 X return.

Also Air Asia (I've never been on them) can get you from the UK -> Malaysia very cheap. You do have to factor in cost and hassle of getting to Stanstead, less baggage allowance and cost of getting from Malaysia -> Australia. It's worth looking at if Asia is going to be a stopover for you.

Get all your quotes together and put them in a list with all costs going from Dublin -> Australia and return. Maybe include time taken too. I once flew from Sydney -> Singapore (I think) - > Frankfurt -> Dublin. It took me 36 hours. I had a massive headache by Singapore. By the time I was finished I was didn't give a damn about the couple of hundred dollars I had saved and would have spent it to speed that trip up. Maybe cost the price to stop over somewhere in Asia for a couple of days.

Who told you to avoid Malaysia Airlines? I've been on the 3 major Asian airlines. Malaysia Airlines, Thai Airways & Singapore Airlines and they were all fine. The flights are not really comfortable no matter who you go with. 10 - 13 hours sitting in the one spot is not comfortable anywhere but the service on the Asian airlines is great.
    I've had no problems on any of them but that could be just me. To be honest I can't remember the last time I had hassle with any airline and I fly loads (I've lived in Australia for 6 years so I've done the trips a few times). I've been delayed plenty and had hassle unpacking bags with security but they're not airline problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at some flights via frankfurt( and amsterdam) and there is a shocking wait time from arriving in frankfurt to departing, nearly a whole day. Id rather do it in as little stopovers as possible and pay a bit extra.

Also on the subject of USIT. There €399 deal for visa, insurance, sim, bank account and tax number seems a bit dear. Looking at insurance, I got a quote for 129, visa 175 and it seems the rest I can do myself for free. Savings about €100

Going to try a few agents about town the weekend for flights and then look online and see what I can do myself.

CONOR - Did you book that yourself online? How much did it cost you to sydney cause thats the dates im looking to go give or take a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

I went to Australia after christmas 08 and just booked a one way flight as I didn't know when I was coming home and what my plans were. I recon once you get there things will change and being tied to a return flight might be awkward. You might get a good deal on a one way flight over. I flew with etihad and thought they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I booked it through a travel agent in Monaghan. I think they took 10% before taxes for themselves. I looked online and that was the best I could get for those dates. So have no idea of cost to Sydney. Sorry!

Just booked today for 24th Ocotber. Dub - London - Kuala Lumpur - Sydney.Have a few hours in Kuala Lumpur. Is it expensive in KL airport? How much would I need for a few drinks and some food. Take it Ill have to change some money over?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Just booked today for 24th Ocotber. Dub - London - Kuala Lumpur - Sydney.Have a few hours in Kuala Lumpur. Is it expensive in KL airport? How much would I need for a few drinks and some food. Take it Ill have to change some money over?

Booked the same flight myself going 3rd Nov.

Are you going with Malaysian Airline? Got my flight for just over €1000 so happy out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Ignore most of this advice and avoidd USIT - everything positive (bags over KGS, not needing to book separate aer lingus/quantas flights etc) are nothing to do with USIT - they just charge a rip off amount on top of you doing it yourself and they do not save you any time or hassle on anything.
    In fact, the higher luggage allowances are because he/she was flying via USA. They're usually much higher. Handy for stocking up on cheap clothes in the USA.
    and as for the second part - you can book with Quantas or Aerlingus direct from Dublin to where ever and you do not need to book the separate legs from Dublin Heathrow...this goes for almost all linked air lines...I hope you didnt fall for USITS spin on this....
    Yes, you can even do this when booking online with Singapore Airlines, as I'm sure is the case with other airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

not been smart but id love to see these cheap flights if you book everything yourself...

iv tried online wit loads of places and in store with uist, ebookers and trailfinders and i got thailand, Oz, Nz and fiji for 1600 return from the end of oct for one year with usit and insurance and the whv for an extra 399

i no insurance can be got cheaper but you also pay for what you get and some of the insurances dont cover much

the whv seams to be 170 no matter what way you do it

so am i been shafted with the prices or are they about right for mid oct 2010

Who is the USIT insurance underwritten by? What is the price of buying directly from that company? USIT are fine for people too lazy to do their own leg work.

by mapfre asistencia

I just checked my receipt and I got my 7 month 'premium' backpacker insurance for EUR 146 from ACE UK. ACE Ireland now lists their 'standard' package at EUR 176 for 7 months. ACE UK is now EUR 125 but they don't accept orders from Ireland anymore as far as I know. Don't fall for the Paddy pricing. Shop around.

i did shop round and got "premium" insurance for 12 months for 230 after you include 170 for whv...

i dont think there is a point to this if all your savings is a scabby 20 quid, in fairness if thats a goal maybe ppl shoud get the boat over lol

im including the 170 plus 230 for usit's 400 euro combo deal

i did shop round and got "premium" insurance for 12 months for 230 after you include 170 for whv...

i dont think there is a point to this if all your savings is a scabby 20 quid, in fairness if thats a goal maybe ppl shoud get the boat over lol
    Blue Insurance has backpacker insurance for EUR 130. Where is your EUR 230 quote from (please god don't say USIT)? That's EUR 100 cheaper than USIT or 25%. Quite a margin.

dont know where your getting your figures from its 200 for insurance with blue and it dosent cover as much as, yes USITS insurance

so were back to a scaby 30 quid for a lesser insurance cover.

check for yourself

http://www.blueinsurance.ie/travel.asp

details:

travleeing for one year in oct and for drop down box put in worldwide excluding USA/Canada

Still have to get my insurance. Anyone use backpacker insurance. Ie. Reckon i lookin at about 200 for anyway decent cover

• Advertisement

didnt use them but 200 seams to be the going rate from what i can see unless ballsoba can tell you where he gets his 130

make sure it covers you activities you'l be doing i.e. check the grade levels and for flights, theft and flying you home in an emergency or if someone dies
    i think hospitals are fairly expensive so make sure u've adaquate medical cover

dont know where your getting your figures from its 200 for insurance with blue and it dosent cover as much as, yes USITS insurance

so were back to a scaby 30 quid for a lesser insurance cover.

check for yourself

http://www.blueinsurance.ie/travel.asp

details:

travleeing for one year in oct and for drop down box put in worldwide excluding USA/Canada
    Apologies, I was looking at insurance for Oz only, it's 146 or 176 from Blue Insurance for worldwide excluding USA/Canada.
    https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ (A tradename of Blue Insurance)
    A saving of 50 euro is well worth booking yourself in my opinion. Why pay USIT 50 euro for 15 minutes work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

ballooba wrote: »
    Apologies, I was looking at insurance for Oz only, it's 146 or 176 from Blue Insurance for worldwide excluding USA/Canada.
    https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ (A tradename of Blue Insurance)
    A saving of 50 euro is well worth booking yourself in my opinion. Why pay USIT 50 euro for 15 minutes work?

Yes it is worth it. Just read the small print on both policies. In the Canada threads it was pointed out that the Usit insurance covered winter sports for a year while Backpackers covered it for a month (which is kind of important for Canada). I've no idea what differences there are in the Australian ones.

The prices are different because the products are different. The differences are probably fine for most people but just be aware of them. If you're like me you probably read the fine print after you find you need to claim :D

With all the commissions USIT get from ANZ/Vodafone etc. you'd think they'd be cheaper for the insurance. Must be worth a fortune for them.

i think usit have just copped on and dont rip ppl off as much anymore

with https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie

its 225 when you add in winter sports so again were back to a fiver in difference and a lesser policy, exam failure and what ever else, im not bothered reading it all

you get what you pay for :D

anyways this can go on all day and this thread is about flights so lets keep it on track

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lucoz

Hey all .. want to go to aus start of jan.. joining friends so will be travelling alone..boo :) anyways trying to decide whether go with usit for all..
    flights and visa etc

or book seperate flight and just leave visa etc to them

they offering good deal with malaysian airlines. but heard quantas or singapore airline are much better... I mean would rather pay little more be comfortable for such a long journey..

so pls and opinions on which airline and whether leave paperwork to usit.. thanks so much in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

got a price in USIT with malaysian air but was told to avoid them. Any help appreciated.
    I went with Malaysian Airlines, and they were brilliant. No complaints at all. They, were cheap enough and when I was changing the dates of my flights it was done very quickly and easily.

i found usit very good and i heard quantus are the best airline but have no experience with them, but that will change the 27 of oct :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    I went with Malaysian Airlines, and they were brilliant. No complaints at all. They, were cheap enough and when I was changing the dates of my flights it was done very quickly and easily.

I've just been granted my visa and going in january, was looking at Malaysian Airlines as they are the cheapest going but feared it could be an annoyance changing return dates with them as i thought i read that somewhere, but u reckon they're good for it. It mustn't have been too pricey either to change, do u remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

Lucoz wrote: »
    Hey all .. want to go to aus start of jan.. joining friends so will be travelling alone..boo :) anyways trying to decide whether go with usit for all..
    flights and visa etc

or book seperate flight and just leave visa etc to them

they offering good deal with malaysian airlines. but heard quantas or singapore airline are much better... I mean would rather pay little more be comfortable for such a long journey..

so pls and opinions on which airline and whether leave paperwork to usit.. thanks so much in advance

hey lucoz, i just booked today for january. I didnt go through usit or anyone cuz its no hassle really doing it yourself. I got my visa with visa first, maybe u could look at someone else for that, i paid 200euro for it, it's my second visa.

Then booked flights with malaysian airlines online, simply picking the cheapest one available. I rang the dublin office afterward because i thought because I had picked the cheapest return fare-type that the dates couln't be changed on coming home. But then he realised that because I couldn't make my return date the full year (they only run 11 months ahead of now for dates), he said he'd make it that i wouldn't have to pay for changing flight dates when i'm over there (that can usually range 50-150euro), as long as its within the year of entering. . But u will have to ring and say it. And if you do go over the year in Oz, it'll be 50 to change it.

USIT charge 150 to change dates when you're over there, plus i rang them last week for quote on flight cost, and it was about 150 more than what i paid today. The mungrels dont deserve it

Advertisement