Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Half Meltdown

Options
  • 27-07-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

I'm managing Boro in my second season, doing pretty well, 3rd in the Prem. Thing is though I'm always destroying teams in the 1st half then getting destroyed myself in the 2nd. The amount of 3-0 and 2-0 leads I've blown after being 3 or 2 up in the first half is unreal.

The only things that I think I may be doing wrong is my half time team talk (1 or 2-0 up and I use 'pleased', 3-0 up - 'thrilled', or drawing or winning but playing sh!t - 'for the fans'). Or it could be my 2nd half tactics. I usually wouldn't change anything till the 75th minute at the very least.

Anyone ever been through this themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

glenjamin wrote: »
    I'm managing Boro in my second season, doing pretty well, 3rd in the Prem. Thing is though I'm always destroying teams in the 1st half then getting destroyed myself in the 2nd. The amount of 3-0 and 2-0 leads I've blown after being 3 or 2 up in the first half is unreal.

The only things that I think I may be doing wrong is my half time team talk (1 or 2-0 up and I use 'pleased', 3-0 up - 'thrilled', or drawing or winning but playing sh!t - 'for the fans'). Or it could be my 2nd half tactics. I usually wouldn't change anything till the 75th minute at the very least.

Anyone ever been through this themselves?

In FM 2008 and 2009 (as far as I've gone) I never found it helpful to tell my team during a match that I was happy with them. Effort just drops. Very noticeable in pre-season friendlies where you'd play Abingdon Town for fun. The match could go 6-0 and if at half-time I'd be "pleased" it would stay 6-0. If I didn't want performance to drop or was encouraging, the deluge would continue. Invariably against such rubbish in pre-season a positive team-talk (for me) meant less effort in second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

So what you're saying is that I should tell them... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

glenjamin wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that I should tell them... :confused:

Tell them whatever it takes which given the options open to you is not likely to encourage complacency. Since the options change game to game and, indeed, since the individual player options are sometimes different to the team options all I can say is that if you tell someone the equivalent of "job well done" half way through a job its possible they take the foot off the pedal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wahmeister666

I tell them a half time that "I expect a win" or "nothing less than a win" or not to be complacent...as complacency tends to happen to me if I don't do that...usually between the 65th to 90th minute I'd have lost a lead of 2 or 3,but since going with this strict attitude,I'm doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I tell them a half time that "I expect a win" or "nothing less than a win" or not to be complacent...as complacency tends to happen to me if I don't do that...usually between the 65th to 90th minute I'd have lost a lead of 2 or 3,but since going with this strict attitude,I'm doing well.
    +1
    I never use "pleased" or that unless its at least 3 or 4 goals to the good and im taking off star players to rest already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement