Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad radio voices/vocal ticks e.g. Rachel English, Cox woman

• 27-07-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Is there something about radio that it attracts people with bad voices and vocal ticks?

Just at the week-end after I turned off rachel english cos I couln't bear her voice I tried to understand why. Partly its a a sort of clicking sound in the throat as if she's nervous or needs a drink or has loose fitting false teeth. I notice the same thing (and a very high tone) with that Cox woman that does newspaper reviews. Does RTE not do some kind of voice test before engaging broadcasters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I know what you mean, English gives the impression that she is slightly aprehensive of being discovered in front of a live mic by the real presenter at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Rachael English is really good.. So fek off the pair of ye..

I do find it ironic that you would mention Rachael though, as Marian drives me insane with her falsettos and her end of sentence noises "tut" sounding noises. No idea who the Cox person is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah Marian is great for the ol' WHY?????? almost always completely innapropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I'm not defending Marion - "god forbid" as she'd say herself - its that annoying amateur nasal click the others have.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I would find the clipped and carefully dictated monotone of Mary Wilson to be much more annoying than a natural tick.

Rachel English is a fantastic presenter, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. As mentioned in another thread, Moncrieff also uses hmmmmm quite a bit, again, not something that would really even register with me while listening.

Vincent Browne used to drive me demented when he was on the radio. The sighing, snorting, grunting and various other oral farts was grating. Same on his TV show with added squirming and sweating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

Totally agree..RTE go on looks :rolleyes: rather than vocals :D. That one that travels around the place...really in your face...now her voice grinds my geers. She sounds like an 19 y.o male whose voice has not quiet broken - forever to be trapped in adolescent yodels. Nice blonde though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Whilst listening to Rachel English I often think to myself, just take a sup of water there. That dry mouth sound on the airwaves is a grater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

You no longer need a "voice" to land a radio slot. Recent appointments in both public and independent stations right across the country will prove that fact. Bring back the "jock" sound thats what I say ...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Aidric wrote: »
    Whilst listening to Rachel English I often think to myself, just take a sup of water there. That dry mouth sound on the airwaves is a grater.

Yes noticed it last Sunday, most noticeable when in contrast to another speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Jaysus lads, they all pale in comparison to George 'I love Sky' Hook. I don't often listen but when I last heard him I was astonished at how inept he is at reading a script.
    Now, with that nasally slur of his, he sounds drunk to me - not a surprise. But at the top of the hour I think he reads the news headlines before the bulletin (could be the half hour, not sure) and my God that was a struggle.
    Stuttering and stammering everywhere. I was surprised.
    But over 100,000 people put up with it every evening, so what do I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I notice the same thing (and a very high tone) with that Cox woman that does newspaper reviews. Does RTE not do some kind of voice test before engaging broadcasters?

Is she the lady who turns up on the Pat Kenny Show/Myles Dungan Show doing reports from around the country? I quite like her voice. And she can speak to civilians without affecting a false culchie accent. Or resorting to quips about the local sports team in a 'hey, look, I'm a woman of the people!' way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Is she the lady who turns up on the Pat Kenny Show/Myles Dungan Show doing reports from around the country? I quite like her voice. And she can speak to civilians without affecting a false culchie accent. Or resorting to quips about the local sports team in a 'hey, look, I'm a woman of the people!' way...

He is referring to Valarie Cox - has a serious lisp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Marc Coleman on Newstalk (nights) coughs and splutters through his show every night. Soooo fookin annoying!

There also seems to be a lot of people with lisps on radio these days. There's yer man - the gardener - on Mooney in the afternoon and if I'm not mistaken Moncrieff has a touch of it too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

Remember poor Treasa Davison.Her voice failed to a kind of growl and she was swiftly "disappeared".

A lisp hasn't been a pwoblem to one notable British media star.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 codrodcm

ok this is going to come across sexist but i do not think female djs are suited to the radio...its a mans job..plus i DETEST all those women on 98fm fm 104 and lucy kennedy with their shoutu forced laughter......i turn them off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Jaysus lads, they all pale in comparison to George 'I love Sky' Hook. I don't often listen but when I last heard him I was astonished at how inept he is at reading a script.
    Now, with that nasally slur of his, he sounds drunk to me - not a surprise. But at the top of the hour I think he reads the news headlines before the bulletin (could be the half hour, not sure) and my God that was a struggle.
    Stuttering and stammering everywhere. I was surprised.
    But over 100,000 people put up with it every evening, so what do I know.

Normally I would agree with you Timmy (slightly worrying) but I have to say that The Hook kinda grows on yah.

OK - seriously annoying voice and diction - but the guy comes across as passionate with strongly held beliefs.

A bit of a relief from the middle of the road cretins in RTE - would put the Yates fellow in the same boat as Georgie ..has a a bit of balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah Marian is great for the ol' WHY?????? almost always completely innapropriate.

marian : well i ( increased shrill tone ) didnt know friday came after thursday

incredibly annoying woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

OK - seriously annoying voice and diction - but the guy comes across as passionate with strongly held beliefs.
    Strongly held beliefs? George Hook? Come off it. He might be passionate but most of it is misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Normally I would agree with you Timmy (slightly worrying) but I to say that The Hook kinda grows on yah.

OK - seriously annoying voice and diction - but the guy comes acros as passionate.....

Now, there's a modern word that needs nailing, as it may be said. To be passionate, in the original sense of the word, would appear to mean the ability to "bear suffering intensely, even to the end", as in the Passion of Christ.

When it comes to George Hook, and any other pompous, vacuous, bombastic loudmouth out there, I think the only passionate people involved are those who suffer the misfortune of coming within earshot of these empty vessels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

I like both Rachel English and Valerie Cox. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Normally I would agree with you Timmy (slightly worrying) but I have to say that The Hook kinda grows on yah.
    Ah George is great. I love the way he snarls. What I most admire about him is he reads out texts and e mails that are very critical of him and his views and doesn't really get upset when people give him grief.... A bit like myself;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Believer

Oh my goodness, couldn't agree more about Rachel. She's a fantastic interviewer and very intelligent, also pleasant, but that dry mouth difficulty she has really irritates me, especially when I'm listening in the car. Valerie Cox's voice is pleasat to my ears though.
    Oh, and can I ask people to PLEASE not use the Lord's name? Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Believer wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, couldn't agree more about Rachel. She's a fantastic interviewer and very intelligent, also pleasant, but that dry mouth difficulty she has really irritates me, especially when I'm listening in the car. Valerie Cox's voice is pleasat to my ears though.
    Oh, and can I ask people to PLEASE not use the Lord's name? Please?

you mean ALLAH ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Who's this "Lord" ...............:p

Cant believe that Michelle Doherty (Phantom 105.2) has'nt been mentioned yet......what a truly annoying voice she has...oh ,and she is a tick....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Sids Not wrote: »
    Who's this "Lord" ...............:p

Cant believe that Michelle Doherty (Phantom 105.2) has'nt been mentioned yet......what a truly annoying voice she has...oh ,and she is a tick....:rolleyes:

Oh God No way, I could listen to the lovely Michelle Doherty's lovely accent all day :P

Advertisement