Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Hours - what's your favourite Saw Doctors song?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

rossie1977 wrote: »
    some of the best nights out in this country have been at saw doctors gigs, i cannot imagine someone not having craic at one of their gigs, someone mentioned them being the country version of aslan, i think thats spot on. as someone who grew up in rural roscommon (not far from both the galway and mayo border) many of their songs are so close to home, same aul town. someone mentioned this, great song, this could have been written about me :o

That's the thing though isn't it?! If people took time to listen to most of the songs, they would probably find some relation to the song. They are so universal but personal at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bonito wrote: »
    Written/sang any good tunes yourself?

I second TheMaster's choice.
    So you've never disliked/criticised anything unless you've a flair for the discipline yourself Bonito...? ;)

Generally dislike the Saw Doctors - too culchie-tastic, that's my opinion... but I do admit they take a slightly tongue-in-cheek approach at times, and I'd Love To Kiss The Bangles makes me laugh. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Dudess wrote: »
    So you've never disliked/criticised anything unless you've a flair for the discipline yourself Bonito...? ;)

Generally dislike the Saw Doctors - too culchie-tastic, that's my opinion... but I do admit they take a slightly tongue-in-cheek approach at times, and I'd Love To Kiss The Bangles makes me laugh. :pac:

Thats the thing though, wouldn't blame anyone for disliking the whole culchie-tastic thing but they really have grown and developed over the years, as groups tend to do. It's worth listening to some of the songs mars bar mentioned

Unfortunately, I now associate that song with funerals after Leo sang it at my next door neighbours funeral.

Lovely song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Has to be N17. Every time I go over the west and see a sign for it I sing it. In fact, if you don't do that, there's something wrong with you.

The N17 is a fairly sh*tty road, linking Galway to Sligo. Most of the road has no hard shoulder or any decent stretches for overtaking & it seems to attract "Sunday drivers", seven days a week.

It passes through such "lovely" towns as Ballynacarrow & Tubercurry and past the ugliest piece of sculpture ever commissioned (in Ballindine.. http://www.castlebar.ie/education/ballindine-ns/Images/locality/sculpture.jpg).

And then you hit the inevitable & ridiculously long tailbacks at Claregalway.

It is a short 139km drive, that on a decent road would take less than an hour, but on a bad day, can take over 2.5 hours.

Yes, when you get to the Galway side, the walls are stone & the grass is green, but the walls are stone & the grass is green almost everywhere in the west of Ireland.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you had to drive it more than once, the novelty of singing that Saw Doctors song when you see an N17 signpost, would soon wear off.

The N17 is a fairly sh*tty road, linking Galway to Sligo. Most of the road has no hard shoulder or any decent stretches for overtaking & it seems to attract "Sunday drivers", seven days a week.

It passes through such "lovely" towns as Ballynacarrow & Tubercurry and past the ugliest piece of sculpture ever commissioned (in Ballindine.. http://www.castlebar.ie/education/ballindine-ns/Images/locality/sculpture.jpg).

And then you hit the inevitable & ridiculously long tailbacks at Claregalway.

It is a short 139km drive, that on a decent road would take less than an hour, but on a bad day, can take over 2.5 hours.

Yes, when you get to the Galway side, the walls are stone & the grass is green, but the walls are stone & the grass is green almost everywhere in the west of Ireland.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you had to drive it more than once, the novelty of singing that Saw Doctors song when you see an N17 signpost, would soon wear off.

My Dad travels it everyday to and from work, N17 is practically a censored word in our house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Its like picking my favourite woman. Opinion changes everyday!

Honestly cant pick a favourite. Love the Sawdoctors though. Love em. They are a national treasure and saved a very poor Oxegen this year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

I'd Love to Kiss The Bangles.

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    My Dad travels it everyday to and from work, N17 is practically a censored word in our house!

He has my sincerest sympathies. I hate that road with a vengance & I only have to use it maybe 5-10 times a year.

when i was a kid, that stretch of the n17 from tuam to galway was far and away the best road in the west of ireland :o

less than an hour to do 139km :eek: thats almost 90mph

less than an hour to do 139km :eek: thats almost 90mph

90mph on a motorway is fairly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

90mph on a motorway is fairly normal.

in germany ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Ive always liked this song from the saw doctors :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hay Wrap, Red Cortina or Exhilarating Sadness

And no matter how boggery, I'll always love JCCB.

Never Mind the Strangers is nice too..

Ah forgot Red Cortina.

Think everybody who grew up in 70/80's Ireland had a red Cortina at some stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"That Jammy Bastard Won the Lotto, We Had to Struggle On!" is my favourite. :pac:

in germany ;)

And Ireland. If I'm on a motorway here, I usually stick the cruise control at around 130km/ph and would be overtaken by cars quite regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

"She's a 4th year, dead feek, Presentation Border!". :D

The borders are long gone now though...:(

You can take the girl out of the boarding school but you can't take the boarding school out of the girl. I have fond memories of two year relationship with a lad from the town. My mother kept me under lock and key at home so I had to take advantage of the nuns. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Red Cortina and n17. Mainly cos they remind me of two people.

I actually have a load of their songs on my laptop that were put on it for me, and there are some great songs there, but can't remember the names of them now!

• Advertisement

You can take the girl out of the boarding school but you can't take the boarding school out of the girl. I have fond memories of two year relationship with a lad from the town. My mother kept me under lock and key at home so I had to take advantage of the nuns. :D

Ye big durty lezzer!

mike65 wrote: »
    "That Jammy Bastard Won the Lotto, We Had to Struggle On!" is my favourite. :pac:

Haha! Tony only contributed to one song in regards to songwriting and that song was "To Win Just Once". If that isn't irony, then I don't know what is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

So hard to pick a favourite song, changes every day but the ones that are up there are

I'll be on my way

Never mind the strangers

FCA

So hard to pick a favourite song, changes every day but the ones that are up there are

I'll be on my way

Never mind the strangers

FCA

Such a catchy chorus to that song...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Has to be N17, but only the older version when he still has the rough edge to his voice, eg on nighthawks in their prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

n17 for the simple reason that its a great session song drives anyplace into a frenzy of beer and sweat

green and red of mayo
    and red cortina are nice easy listening songs too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

****in great tune

that and Macnas parade

Such a catchy chorus to that song...

Bored, Broke, Oblivious:D

What a tune, been in the FCA/RDF 6 years and thats partly why I love that song so much

Bored, Broke, Oblivious:D

What a tune, been in the FCA/RDF 6 years and thats partly why I love that song so much

...so I joined the FCA! :D

I'm gonna be singing that for the night now!

Most Saw Doctors fans will have seen this but for anyone else here is an excellent version of Never mind the Strangers

"We've gone further than we ever dreamt from our County Galway town"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Oh and yeah we Culchies have the Saw Doctors.

Ye Dubs have Christy and Aslan...i always thought of the Saw Doctors as the culchies Aslan, without the heroin!

And this is our "Crazy World"

Hadn't heard that one in a while.
    'Get that wasp off my sandwich' is one of the greatest lyrics ever written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ye big durty lezzer!

In boarding school you take what you can get. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I know absolutely nothing about The Saw Doctors except that back in the day I sold one of the guys the suit that he wore to his wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Oh and yeah we Culchies have the Saw Doctors.

Ye Dubs have Christy and Aslan...i always thought of the Saw Doctors as the culchies Aslan, without the heroin!

And this is our "Crazy World"
    Do you want Aslan? we dont...they are sh*te:mad: Would take The Saw Doctors over them anyday!

Take Aslan away please!!:D

p.s. I Used'ta Love Her would be my song of choice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ahhhh neow, nothin' other than the Joyce Counry Céile Band will do!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Clare Island < poetry in motion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bale them, bale them
    hay! hay!
    Bale them, bale them
    hay! hay!

<culchie>I don't know the name of the song but it was savage, lad!
    edit: ah, the hay wrap!</culchie>

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Shmells like teen spirhit

Jaysus they were a quire dreary bunch a yung fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Dudess wrote: »

Wait. Come to think of it, no. I've never knocked something without trying it. I've also never been overly critical about something I don't like. I tend to stay away from things I don't like rather than look for them and burst in with a "rabble rabble rabble ye're shíte, I'm better rabble rabble rabble I wont prove it, though rabble rabble rabble"

/cue exit left stage and dim spotlight. Return to stage and bow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

N17. But then, I'm an emigrant.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You're all coming out of the woodwork now.

Things country people love:

[x] The Saw Doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Small ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

thats what she said last night

red cortina

N17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Since boards.ie is clearly in with all the Irish footballers is there any chance we could get Andy Reid in to do a few tunes with the Spin Doctors today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

useta lover - classic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

Wow there is some real ignorance in this thread.
    The Saw Doctors are so under rated it's criminal.

The amount of people who can't look past their image and actually listen to the songs is amazing.
    Forget about the Joyce Country Bands and the Hay Wraps and listen to the classic pop songs these guys write or the Dylan/Springsteen style stories of Heartbreak and longing for something better.

Everyone should listen to Same Oul' Town album or their last album The Cure before judging them in this manner.

I don't understand all this talk of culchies and boggers it's like you are ashamed of being where you are from. You should embrace your culture and surroundings and stop knocking those who aren't afraid to be themselves.

I hope Darragh will raise some of the insults and opinions that have come up in this thread with the band today to hear what they think of these opinions.

There is a reason these guys are still around 20 years later and a lot of other Irish bands are not.

These guys know who they are and don't try to fit into the mold that some seem to want from their music.

As for an old song can you get to play 'out for a smoke' or 'wake up sleeping'

If any up and coming Irish band had a new single like this, it would be all over the airwaves.

When the time comes and it will, that people not only want but truly need music that matters in their lives, it is then that The Saw Doctors will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Parsley wrote: »
    Clare Island or Share the Darkness.

My two favourites. I had a boyfriend (now ex-) who thought singing Share the darkness to me was romantic. It starts with the words "I can't say that I love you".

Ooh or a bit of To Win Just Once.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd never heard the Red and Green of Mayo before - it does sound eerily like The National (or vice versa, I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why are all the Boards interviews with nobodies and tabloid figures? Why not an interview with a respected political/social commentator or an economist, or at least some popular current band or writer or something? For such a profitable website the choices have been very poor - we've gotten Dustin, Keith Barry and The Saw Doctors. WTF? You might as well interview Jordan. Poor show imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there a thread/forum with all the boards interviews, Damien Duff, François Pienaar etc.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement