Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Hours - what's your favourite Saw Doctors song?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Confab wrote: »
    Why are all the Boards interviews with nobodies and tabloid figures? Why not an interview with a respected political/social commentator or an economist, or at least some popular current band or writer or something? For such a profitable website the choices have been very poor - we've gotten Dustin, Keith Barry and The Saw Doctors. WTF? You might as well interview Jordan. Poor show imo.
    I think Obama was busy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wow, Susanna Hoffs still looks amazing in her 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Fair play to Darragh for highlighting a great band like The Saw Doctor's

Who are underated in this country and always have been.

Probably cause they didn't choose to move to Dublin In 1990 when their Album and singles were top of the Charts for weeks and weeks
    and hang around and lick the Ar*ses of the so called cool music Journos

No they decided to take the hard option and head to Uk and America where real music and craft is appreciated.

They quietly went about building up a following which on their live performances was not too hard to do.
    Now over 20 + years later the band sell out month long tours of Uk and America in venues that can can hold on average 1000 people some more eg. The Melody tent In Hyanais holds 3000 and the Doc's have sold out two nights in a row last summer.
    and a sell out tour of Australia in March this year

Play on the Bills of all the Europe's top music festivals
    including Glastonbury this year.

Its the kind of stuff the bands that knocked t about the scene in Dublin in 1990 can only dream off
    Wheres Engine Alley now and The Pale ?
    Not selling out the olympia In September anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Savage band have to say all there somgs are great they've a great mix of songs

I was leaving a night club in Tralee and started singing Tommy k the DJ as you do there was some girl in the corner wearing the face off a bloke.

When she heard me singing it stopped kissing him came over and started singing with with me left the club with me and the rest as they say is history

Never underestimate the power of a saw doctors song with a country girl.

My missus is not into them at all and my sister got me tickets to go see them on my birthday she came with me and had a great time loved every minute of it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

Super Band
    I Agree with others about the song "Same Oul Town"

Its amazing observation piece one that will be listened to and discussed long after we are all gone

The Live In Galway version is far better than the Studio version imo
    I love the Lyric change at the end
    Classic
    [youtube:zOUWwaiZLy4]

I cant get it too inbed ! ! just select this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOUWwaiZLy4

well worth it nicely shot and fantastic quality (off the Live Dvd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Folks, thank you all very much for your responses.

Unfortunately the Saw Doctors have had to postpone today's interview until a later date :(

Really gutted about this but hey, we can do it better next time.

Will leave this thread open for your ideas and be back to you when they've set a new date.

Thanks again

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Confab wrote: »
    Why are all the Boards interviews with nobodies and tabloid figures? Why not an interview with a respected political/social commentator or an economist, or at least some popular current band or writer or something? For such a profitable website the choices have been very poor - we've gotten Dustin, Keith Barry and The Saw Doctors. WTF? You might as well interview Jordan. Poor show imo.

Sure, no problem - who would you like me to get? If you say - actually I'd be really interested in seeing an interview with x, I'll do my best to get it :)

You have to acknowledge too though that the size of the Boards.ie userbase is so huge that you have all sorts of people with different views (as evidenced in this thread) so people may be hesitant about opening up to a potentially hostile crowd. I have to deal with that and the fact that some people don't know what Boards.ie is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I useta love her was on 2fm just a minute ago!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

anyone hear the new single on radio yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Darragh wrote: »
    Sure, no problem - who would you like me to get? If you say - actually I'd be really interested in seeing an interview with x, I'll do my best to get it :)

You have to acknowledge too though that the size of the Boards.ie userbase is so huge that you have all sorts of people with different views (as evidenced in this thread) so people may be hesitant about opening up to a potentially hostile crowd. I have to deal with that and the fact that some people don't know what Boards.ie is.

Mind if i suggest some names Darragh?

Bell X1
    Gemma Hayes
    Cathey Davey

All should be aware of boards ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mind if i suggest some names Darragh?

Bell X1
    Gemma Hayes
    Cathey Davey

All should be aware of boards ;)

One bell and two shop assistants? I think we can do better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭veryangryman

One bell and two shop assistants? I think we can do better than that.

Thanks for the valuable input Doc. Anyone else brave enough to name one instead of batting down every suggestion?

Tom O'Connor.
    Alison O'Riordan.
    David Mc.Savage.
    Mary Harney.
    And just sit back and watch AH burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Add Jim Corr to that list there good Dr. B:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

anyone hear the new single on radio yet?

I've heard it 3 or 4 times on Galway Bay FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Tom O'Connor.
    Alison O'Riordan.
    David Mc.Savage.
    Mary Harney.
    And just sit back and watch AH burn.

michael o leary to that list, watch the entire board burn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Padraig Nally

"Never Mind the Strangers"

Think one of the strangest moments for me was when the Saw Doctors were playing Joyce Country Ceili Band and there were two people dancing at the venue - as it turns out, it was Thomas and Mary as in..
    Thomas and Mary out on the floor
    Well they never lost it, thats for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Padraig Nally

sorry scan he does be in the mart every day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Bonito wrote: »
    Wait. Come to think of it, no. I've never knocked something without trying it. I've also never been overly critical about something I don't like. I tend to stay away from things I don't like rather than look for them and burst in with a "rabble rabble rabble ye're shíte, I'm better rabble rabble rabble I wont prove it, though rabble rabble rabble"
    A person has every right to a negative opinion on anything - they can't help it if they don't like it. I don't like Westlife, I find their musical output awful - is that so wrong of me?
    And if it's not ok to have a negative opinion on something, why is ok to have a positive opinion so? Should a person not have e.g. musical expertise to qualify them to say a song/musical act is good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Dudess wrote: »
    A person has every right to a negative opinion on anything - they can't help it if they don't like it. I don't like Westlife, I find their musical output awful - is that so wrong of me?
    And if it's not ok to have a negative opinion on something, why is ok to have a positive opinion so? Should a person not have e.g. musical expertise to qualify them to say a song/musical act is good?
    Course they do. All I did was ask does the user have any material themselves after they slated what, in some people's eyes, are a good band. They said yes, but they didn't give a link.

The bit I see that's wrong is that sort of attitude. It's like Diana Vickers coming in and saying Madonna or Celine Dione or Mariah Carey is shíte and then running away when asked to sing one of her own tunes.

I have no problem with people commenting on something. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Did they have more songs than 2 :eek:

I think of the likes of westlife and boyzone as corporate whores who have bastardised and abused the art of music to make money for a faceless corporation. I think they are intent on ruining music by turning it into a bland record selling machine which at best is lame karaoke and at worst subtly sells sex to children. It's not music. It's not art. It's just a few ****ing warbling notes and some hairspray.

Some band like the saw doctors, to me, well, they write their own songs, have their own sound and are successful in their own right, a hard working touring band and I respect the intent if even if I'm not interested in the music. Being a professional musician in a band like that is pretty cool.
    Beind a ****ing moron standing next to 4 other morons singing somebody elses words for thrown pennies should be outlawed. But hey, opinions are like arseholes and mine is spotty.

Bonito wrote: »
    Course they do. All I did was ask does the user have any material themselves after they slated what, in some people's eyes, are a good band.
    But so what if they haven't? If they dislike their output, they dislike their output.
    The bit I see that's wrong is that sort of attitude. It's like Diana Vickers coming in and saying Madonna or Celine Dione or Mariah Carey is shíte and then running away when asked to sing one of her own tunes.

I have no problem with people commenting on something. :)
    She's actually a recording artist, if a sh1te one - and I think the likes of her are even less qualified to criticise than someone who doesn't sing at all, because she claims to be a singer, whereas an ordinary joe doesn't.

• Advertisement

Of course people are allowed to have a negative opinion. The problem is when someone has an uninformed negative opinion.
    Keep your mind open until you have enough information to make a negative opinion.

caseyann wrote: »
    Did they have more songs than 2 :eek:

If you only count their songs that hit number 1 then there are at least 3.
    After that there are songs that didn't get to number 1 such as N17 that you might have heard of.

Of course people are allowed to have a negative opinion. The problem is when someone has an uninformed negative opinion.
    Keep your mind open until you have enough information to make a negative opinion.
    Hearing a song and not liking it is enough to form an opinion on it, no?

Jeez, I love The Smiths, generally a highly regarded band, but if someone doesn't like them, then that's just the way they feel - I certainly wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell them they're "wrong" to dislike them, if perhaps it should be acknowledged that they were highly influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Joyce Country Ceile Band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

For the craic 'N17'

For soul food 'Claire Island'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Listening to these songs, ah memories, hilarious stuff. Good work lads

The Saw Doctors new album is currently at number 1 in the amazon.co.uk pre-sale charts.

Good to see an Irish band doing well for themselves, whether you are a fan of them or not.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/new-releases/music/ref=amb_link_18196065_1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1YEDBS7TRP1M392H2TAH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=176975191&pf_rd_i=297457

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

which cd do you suggest for a Saw doctor 'beginner'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

'cos this is thriller, thriller night'

what did you ressurect the thread for...ask the music forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Try "If This Is Rock 'n' Roll, I Want My Old Job Back" and work your way up from there! They usually play heavier versions of their old stuff these days, IMO sounds superior, eg.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

The Ultimate Festival Band !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Saw them a couple times. They put on a good show, my favourite is probably N17, it's actually a serious enough song about emigration not just about a sh1t road through "where men are men and sheep are nervous" territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

saw them live soooo many times! (one of the girls is addicted to them)

i usedta love her, is a popular but favorite of mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

N17 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Hay Wrap, had that and F.C.A. on repeat in an bar in tenerife, the English lads loved it!

• Advertisement

navigator wrote: »
    which cd do you suggest for a Saw doctor 'beginner'?

I like Sing A Powerful Song or Villains. The new album is really good too so might be good to get that one!

They got no.1 in the Indie Charts and no. 7 on the main Irish charts so it's all good for the lads at the moment!

darragh16 wrote: »
    Hay Wrap, had that and F.C.A. on repeat in an bar in tenerife, the English lads loved it!

Do you mean Hay Wrap. They certainly don't have a song called Had That!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Each to their own and all that jazz, but...OMG the saw doctors are the worst band ever and sum up rural irelands taste in awful music. That hairy fella that fronts the band...he makes me cry and reminds me of so many roasters i know. ah i hate the saw doctors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

N-17 is my all time favourite Saw Doctors song. Great bunch of lads.

Advertisement