Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Check cc during bike test?

• 27-07-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have my Category A bike test in two weeks time and would rather do it on my own motorbike which is 125cc, but it needs to be done on a bike with a bigger engine.

Although I probably will rent a bigger bike, I just wanted to ask how the tester checks to see if your bike is a 125cc or more. Going by the look of my bike, it's v hard to tell, and my tax disc doesnt give the cc of my bike. Does he key the reg number in to a PC to see what it's registered as?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Most testers know their bikes. You can try it, but if he calls you on it that's 75 quid down the drain and a wait for another test.

When I did the test yer man just asked me what size bike it was. You have to sign a declaration that the bike is taxed/insured/road worthy and that you have the right licence to ride it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was asked what bike I was doing my test on also. Best bet would be to get a pre-test lesson and then hire the same bike for your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

what about in the case of a vespa px? 80,200 and 125 are all interchangable and look identical so they wouldnt know unless they checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I don't know the testers proceedure, but if I were you i'd take Del2005's advise to be on the safe side. Maybe have a couple of spins on it,day before and morning of test to get the feel for it..
    I would be a kick in the bollix for the tester to turn you away from the start..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I don't know the testers proceedure, but if I were you i'd take Del2005's advise to be on the safe side. Maybe have a couple of spins on it,day before and morning of test to get the feel for it..
    I would be a kick in the bollix for the tester to turn you away from the start..

Or worse still, let you perform the test of your life and then call you up on the size of your bike.

+1 for renting a school bike. This is what I did (even though I had a CBR 250R at the time). The school bike (CB 250) was much easier to perform the U-turn on. Plus the CBR was probably putting out more like 45bhp compared to the 33bhp I was licensed to ride. :p I didn't fancy failing my test on a technicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I did mine last week and he didnt check, he just asked me. but then he didnt check a lot of stuff. and when i passed he gave me a cert for a car... so maybe he was hungover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

What 125 bike doesn't look like a 125? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    What 125 bike doesn't look like a 125? :P

Plenty of bikes. Take the post above's example of the Vespas! That said, I'm gonna rent a bike for it and not worry about the hassle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the father had a buddy who did the test on a 175 classic scooter, and the tester tried to give him an A1 cert, took some convincing the tester that scooters come in proper sizes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Tree wrote: »
    the father had a buddy who did the test on a 175 classic scooter, and the tester tried to give him an A1 cert, took some convincing the tester that scooters come in proper sizes

Fair play! Never heard of a 175 scooter before! I'm just gonna rent a bike, but by the sounds of it, it's possible that you'd get away with it on a 125 if you and the bike were convincing enough (and your tax disc didnt mention cc!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

alanmc wrote: »
    Or worse still, let you perform the test of your life and then call you up on the size of your bike.

+1 for renting a school bike. This is what I did (even though I had a CBR 250R at the time). The school bike (CB 250) was much easier to perform the U-turn on. Plus the CBR was probably putting out more like 45bhp compared to the 33bhp I was licensed to ride. :p I didn't fancy failing my test on a technicality.

Totally agree.

Advertisement