Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM - Grants?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows whether studying graduate entry medicine is eligible for any of the grants/back to education allowance schemes out there?

If so, how do you go about applying for them please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

hi jenga-jen.

AFAIK apart from the 13k the HEA provide to cover approx half the tuition fees, there are no grants available for GEM. As you already have a Level 8 qualification you are eligible for very little. Check out http://www.studentfinance.ie/ and see if you can find anything appropriate to your own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

That's correct getleft.

However Limerick also have a scholarship scheme that will pay your fee's a little extra for living expenses. Eligibility is based on socio-economic background. They send out info to everyone who has Limerick on their CAO around March/April. I'd recommend applying even if you don't think you'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Does anyone know why the only bank offering the GEM loan for UCC is BOI? AIB in Dublin and Limerick seem to do better deals...If I bank and save with AIB already, can I go to them and see If they will offer a better loan than Bank of Irl or does the bank HAVE to be affiliated with the University in some way???

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Can't speak for UCC but UCD made it quite clear that we were free to use whatever bank we wished. I doubt UCC will care as long as they get the money. Best of luck with medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows whether studying graduate entry medicine is eligible for any of the grants/back to education allowance schemes out there?

If so, how do you go about applying for them please?

Hi jenga-jen, there is a scholarship for UL but the first application deadlines were back in March or something ridiculous like that. Other than that, we are all on our own, finance wise! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 vrfcno7

Scientist1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the only bank offering the GEM loan for UCC is BOI? AIB in Dublin and Limerick seem to do better deals...If I bank and save with AIB already, can I go to them and see If they will offer a better loan than Bank of Irl or does the bank HAVE to be affiliated with the University in some way???

I noticed that as well, the BOI loan seems to be more punitive than AIB.
    I will be ringing the castletroy branch of AIB tomorrow to see if I can get the AIB loan they offer to UL students even if I'm going to UCC. SHouldn't make a difference really, should it? Same length of time for the course, approximately the same cost, same qualifications at the end!

How is everybody else getting on re financing?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I went into AIB on college road and they do the grad med loan for ucc, seem quite a bit more flexible than BoI too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vrfcno7

Tazzle wrote: »
    I went into AIB on college road and they do the grad med loan for ucc, seem quite a bit more flexible than BoI too.

The same terms as offered fr UL grad meds? Who did you deal with? Rang them today and they didn't seem to know anything about it. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I was talking to a Donn Horgan, he's based in aib, cit but works out of college road branch too. He said he'd give me a call back with more info today so I'll keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Anyone any thoughts on how much they're going to borrow?

Also is everyone being told the same: that you'll accrue interest during the four years and then get to start making repayments? Eeek! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on how much they're going to borrow?

Also is everyone being told the same: that you'll accrue interest during the four years and then get to start making repayments? Eeek! :eek:

At the very least 50,000, but probably be more like 80,000, which will leave me over 100,000 in debt...I know it sounds like a lot, but just think If you bought a house, you'd be double that in debt...and at the end of the day that's only bricks and mortar...

Advertisement