Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord stealing electricity?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

so i found that our landlord is living behind the hedge in the back garden, there is a gate to a lane at end of garden, there is a door into our back garden , with no handle on our side, but one day he left open when doing work in the house so i snooky in and looked about, he is living in some small sheds, washing machine, drier, cooker, all electric, so he s not registared as a landlord and all his post comes to our house,so i had a brain wave today, how is he getting his electricity? unless he has a separate meter in the back garden, then we probably paying for ours and his electricity, because he s not getting any esb bills to our house, we leave his post in a pill for him to collect when he calls by, so i decided to look and see could i see an wires going to the of the garden, in a shed which is divided in two , half on our side half on his side, i found a fuse boxes, it was hidden in our part of the shed hidden behind some styraphome, crafty begger, i have to say , while i m pissed off , i also have to say fairplay,rent free and bill free, i m sure he s a nice electric heater too

so while we ve no actual proof, it all adds up, tempted to flick his trip switch and see how quick he comes running, like we dont mind if he living in the back of the garden, but taking power too is too much
    any suggestions?
    he s ment to be reg ing with ptrb as landlord , but never gets around to it, there also huge heaps of rubbish in his part of the garden,like he never gets his trash taken away. tempted to ring council and report it
    like even if we move out over this,i d not like to think others are getting scamed in same way, we are good tenants, we dont cause any trouble with neighbours,, we look after the house and pay rent on time, we here 14 months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

abceire wrote: »
    so i found that our landlord is living behind the hedge in the back garden
    priceless :D
    so while we ve no actual proof, it all adds up, tempted to flick his trip switch and see how quick he comes running....any suggestions?
    Thats probably the cutest way of approaching the subject. Just clear out the freezer and then switch off the power the odd time (only when its convenient for you of course).
    If he comes running, he will have to explain himself - which should be good entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yep, keep flicking the trip switch, specifically when you know he's there. If he comes running, just say you're playing a trick on your housemates if you're all connected to the same gang box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's illegal for a start, didn't a Guard get sacked lately for having 3 adults and a baby renting a garden shed in his property. They had to use the oven to heat it during the warden. It contravenes loads of health and safety, Fire, safety regulations etc.

This guy is robbing ye as well, whats your monthly ESB bill by the way and what % do you reckon he is contributing

He would also be screwed tax wise, ye are getting no rent relief and his mortgage would have to be converted to a buy to let.

I won't even mention his sex life, probably non-existent

I won't even mention his sex life, probably non-existent

?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    What has that got to do with any of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

so i found that our landlord is living behind the hedge in the back garden, there is a gate to a lane at end of garden, there is a door into our back garden , with no handle on our side, but one day he left open when doing work in the house so i snooky in and looked about, he is living in some small sheds, washing machine, drier, cooker, all electric, so he s not registared as a landlord and all his post comes to our house,so i had a brain wave today, how is he getting his electricity? unless he has a separate meter in the back garden, then we probably paying for ours and his electricity, because he s not getting any esb bills to our house, we leave his post in a pill for him to collect when he calls by, so i decided to look and see could i see an wires going to the of the garden, in a shed which is divided in two , half on our side half on his side, i found a fuse boxes, it was hidden in our part of the shed hidden behind some styraphome, crafty begger, i have to say , while i m pissed off , i also have to say fairplay,rent free and bill free, i m sure he s a nice electric heater too

so while we ve no actual proof, it all adds up, tempted to flick his trip switch and see how quick he comes running, like we dont mind if he living in the back of the garden, but taking power too is too much
    any suggestions?
    he s ment to be reg ing with ptrb as landlord , but never gets around to it, there also huge heaps of rubbish in his part of the garden,like he never gets his trash taken away. tempted to ring council and report it
    like even if we move out over this,i d not like to think others are getting scamed in same way, we are good tenants, we dont cause any trouble with neighbours,, we look after the house and pay rent on time, we here 14 months

just one question , you are in cavan ?

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    ?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    What has that got to do with any of this?
    Do you want to come back to my shed???

Seriously, it's humour

Seriously, it's humour

Poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does he watch GAA or the big games? Switch it off 5 minutes into the game, and all go down the pub :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Poor effort.

I got the joke. But then again Im not one of the internet moral police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

so some funny replies, thanks for the laugh peeps
    i could also have some fun , we were just sitting out the back garden and heard noise ,him moving about behind the hedge, we could start talking loadish, like , our landlord is some arsehole, or will we cut that hedge in half, or i wonder is there a lot of rubbish behind there and we should ring council to check it out, one of the house mates is on holiday for a week, so we ll wait until he back to see what we going to do,
    must find out if he into gaa or rugby or football, if only i d of found out during world cup, or we had a party last weekend, everyone in the back garden,could of turned his electric off then , see would he dare come around with us all there,he also said he reg with ptrb when others moved in 13months ago, still hasnt, rent is 1700 a month, so wonder how much they d of saved in tax relief if he was registared, is it true that you can apply for rent relief even if landlord not reg d with ptrb? it ll just mean he ll probably get caught for not reg ing or paying right taxes?
    he is funny, they were saying few months back to him that there was a draft in the hall that needed sorting, some of the windows are old, ones on the stairs dont shut right and have just been painted over so much that there stuck open a bit, but he said when told of the draft that , some time when a house goes from cold when you come home to warm when heating is put on , that there is a changing point cold to hot, and it can feel like there is a breeze in the house, good bs i thought

is there anyway of finding out how many electric meters are registared at one address?
    its a semi d in dun laoghaire, old house 4 bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

is there anyway of finding out how many electric meters are registared at one address?
    its a semi d in dun laoghaire, old house 4 bed

Im sure esb would be tell you. You can ask here:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

I got the joke. But then again Im not one of the internet moral police.

Good for you. Neither am I, but I just thought it was a bit of a pointless addition.

Good for you. Neither am I, but I just thought it was a bit of a pointless addition.
    Yes, lets keep our days as mundane and as boring as possible. We don't to end up like Paris Hilton or Ozzy Ozbourne

Yes, lets keep our days as mundane and as boring as possible. We don't to end up like Paris Hilton or Ozzy Ozbourne

As long as you keep wondering about some shed inhabiting auld fella's sex life, yours will be just that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Silly Sausage

You can do him over nice and good. Make a few shekels in the process.

1. Trip the switch and some opportune time. Leave it off till he calls to the door.
    2. Make a holy show and go off on one in his face.
    3. Get him to pay for the last 14 or so months of esb or at least half the bill.
    4. Don't pay the next months rent and tell him if he has a problem go to the PRTB.
    5. Claim your rent relief anyway.
    6. Make sure to ship him to revenue when you leave.

As long as you keep wondering about some shed inhabiting auld fella's sex life, yours will be just that....

Do you actually think I really want to know about his sex life?

Humour is wasted on you, if you don't get it don't be moaning about it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would find out which trip switch/fuse is supplying his electricity and trip it/remove it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If it's true then I'd report him to the guards and the PRTB. It's stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Very simple - get an electrician over to figure out what's happening - he will write a report and you bring this to the garda station.

Advertisement