Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

race across america on newstalk

• 27-07-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭

anyone hear the piece on off the ball about the cycle race across america? 5000 km in ten days. Guys cycling 70 hours straight and mad halluciantions. Makes the tour de france sound like a saturday morning ride. There was a film made about it. Cant remember name now but sounds like a gud watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

neris wrote: »
    anyone hear the piece on off the ball about the cycle race across america? 5000 km in ten days. Guys cycling 70 hours straight and mad halluciantions. Makes the tour de france sound like a saturday morning ride. There was a film made about it. Cant remember name now but sounds like a gud watch

There was a television program about an older man who tried to make a team that was competing in the race. It was total insanity when you think about the distance and terrains involved in a race across the USA.

I believe that the US Air Force Team one the year that I watched this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i thought the most amazing thing was "Shermer's neck" where guys ride so long their neck muscles give

also remember reading in the first guys using tri bars were on the raam

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/oldclips.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

neris wrote: »

We have our own version here. Race Around Ireland in september. 2170kms in 5 days for solo racers and 3 and half days for relay teams. The Race is an Ultra Marathon World Cup event and a qualifier for Race Across America.
    www.racearoundireland.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

i thought the most amazing thing was "Shermer's neck" where guys ride so long their neck muscles give

also remember reading in the first guys using tri bars were on the raam

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/oldclips.html

Stephen Bugbee from USA took part in Race Around Ireland last year. Heres a pic of how he dealt with shermers neck in RAAM 2 years ago.
    DSC_8847.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I happened to be in NYC one year at the time the racers were arriving on the East Coast at the George Washington Bridge.

The "winner" was the saddest thing I have ever seen. He literally got off of the bike and into the ambulance that had been following him. He looked close to death. Seen guys on the Tourmalet, Mont Blanc, et al, on the hottest, most grueling TdF stage look 1000 better than this.

Previously, his neck muscles had given out. They got a piece of board, strapped it to his back, and taped his head to it . I am serious.

Also, it was summertime, and very hot/sunny. He had zinc oxide on to prevent sunburn. This made him literally look bone white.

There are other things too sickening to mention. Let's just say he was badly cut up from too much time in the saddle.

But, he "won."

If memory serves me correct it was about 10 days. Not bad, over 300 a day. The teams did it in less.

Advertisement