Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XBOX 360 Slim Wireless Issues

• 27-07-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

Right bought a Slim for sports games and I am up to my head with Live disconnects at seemingly random intervals and some specific times (when i go to active downloads). Now i have a idea that the 360 doesn't like dynamic IP's but im really hoping this is not the case cause i want to be able to keep my dynamic IP on my main machine. I have port forwarded Xbox Live on my Eircom router aswell but have yet to try if this solves the issues.

Anyone else have any difficulties with the wireless feature or have any advice?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

What router do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

AdMMM wrote: »
    What router do you have?

Netopia Cayman 3347.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Has been perfect for me, what security algorithm are you using?
    I've heard about a few problems it has with WEP.

Has been perfect for me, what security algorithm are you using?
    I've heard about a few problems it has with WEP.

WPA.

Bit puzzled myself by it. Does Xbox's in general have issues with PC's set up with dynamic IP's? Or is there a way to set up a permanent IP for my xbox? Has me rightly confused just refuses to work when i set the network options to automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well the IP on the PC won't matter but Xbox Live works fine with Dynamic IP's anyway.
    A Dynamic IP won't change during a connection, only maybe on a reboot.

• Advertisement

Well it just seems to be timing out every 5 minutes once i finally log on despite my routers timeout settings set to one hour of inactive time. Im extremely perplexed by what the hell is going on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have the same problem, also on Eircom. Every 5-10 minutes the connection drops, so now I'm back to using my slim with wired ethernet which is a pain. I also had the same problem with the N-Adaptor on the Elite, so it's not any particular issue with the slim, but I can't see anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'm having exactly the same problem, also eircom wireless with netopia. Sometimes it will tell me I need to open certain ports or whatever and then other times it just works for anything up to an hour but mostly disconnects every 5 minutes. I have a PS3 sitting beside it and no such issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

anyone find the signal on the new xbox worse than the wireless xbox dongles? i know its N capable but i find its not as strong of a signal from the router compared to the elite beside it

anyone find a difference with the wireless on the new box compared to the old way with the usb dongle?

-=al=- wrote: »
    anyone find the signal on the new xbox worse than the wireless xbox dongles? i know its N capable but i find its not as strong of a signal from the router compared to the elite beside it

anyone find a difference with the wireless on the new box compared to the old way with the usb dongle?

None for me, has been perfect.

• Advertisement

So im not alone, seems to me that it's a problem with the router (surprise surprise with Eircom really). The routers simply bumping it off anytime you are connected and the only way to reconnect is to go into network config and select the connection from the scan networks section. Sadly unless someone with higher knowledge steps in i think this will be a on going issue cause Eircom won't do sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

mine cant even see the wifi, it thinks i have the ethernet plugged in(i dont) and says to unplug it before you can use wifi

anyone else

anyone know where the antenna is actually located in the machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

its the eircom lines there terrible :mad:
    My xbox drops connection every 5-10 mins after 6 pm
    And the same goes for my computer its happening to all my neighbours on eircom aswell in all honesty im sick of it and changing to vodafone soon enough hopefully i fair better there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My wired line is perfectly fine. It's only when I'm connected via the xboxes wireless that I have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

I dunno now does this have anything to do with it but i recently got XBL connection + broadband at same time, my connection was good for 5-10 mins then would go to sh!t. My NAT settings were all wrong, rang Rapid and they fixed it up, they set up a static IP address for me and a few other things that I don't know much about. Anyway my connection is brill now, only 1 meg but im always same if not better connection than the rest if im not in yank lobby. Don't know the significance of the dynamic IP address as im useless with that sort of thing so if im being retarded I apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tommy_irish23

i`ve have no issue with the 360s.....yet :)
    just my personal opinion but i think you should give it a static ip and add the mac address to the dhcp reservation.
    Port forward 80 and 3074 on the static ip and should run very well without any lag.
    Have this setup on a linksys wrt610n with chorus.

anyone know where the antenna is actually located in the machine?
    Yeah, at the back left if you're facing the disk tray.

A few things.

It's not to do with Eircoms lines.
    You may be having a problem with Eircoms lines, but that doesn't mean everyone is.
    It's a pet peave of mine in the Broadband forum.

It's probably a setting on the modem.

If you haven't got your ports forwarded, you are always going to have problems.

This won't be of much help to the OP, but for those whop haven't done so, just follow the instructions here...

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/3347-02-1006l/Xbox_Live_360.htm

OP, all I can suggest to you is to reset your network, and see about troubleshooting the network more so than the Xbox.
    If something is interfeering with your wireless, it may be causing problems for a new device to connect onto it.

Have you checked to see if there is any other traffic on the wireless channel you are currently using?

im upgrading my shoddy router to a 300mbps N one with a range of 300m aparently, im sure its not that but should greatly improve the wifi for the xbox which is 20m and a few walls away

had 3 outa 4 bars of wifi on the xbox yesterday, but then went back to the usual 1-2 bars soon after, my internet went to a crawl for a week or 2 so im blaming that... and took me a while fiddling with the router i have now to get a nice open NAT on the network and other shizzle

• Advertisement

im upgrading my shoddy router to a 300mbps N one with a range of 300m aparently, im sure its not that but should greatly improve the wifi for the xbox which is 20m and a few walls away

had 3 outa 4 bars of wifi on the xbox yesterday, but then went back to the usual 1-2 bars soon after, my internet went to a crawl for a week or 2 so im blaming that... and took me a while fiddling with the router i have now to get a nice open NAT on the network and other shizzle

You could have an N or an N+ or higher and it still won't make a difference if there's something causing interferrence on your wireless.

Over the years you wouldn't believe the differnt issues I've encountered.
    From the obvious like other wireless routers and cordless telehones, to baby monitors, walkie talkies on construction sites, car alarm and central locking fobs, microwave ovens, and certain televisions.

That's a thought actually.
    Would any of ye experiencing problems be using Phillips TV's by any chance?

Advertisement