Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When I'm not flying, there's flies...

• 27-07-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have this problem? Obviously the answer is cycle faster, but not so easy when chugging up a 20% fire break. Even out on the road bike at times when down in the 10/12kmph range and climbing hard. Is it just my tasty slick of sweat and obvious abundance of it or does anyone else ever feel like the shanty town man with his parade of flies in tow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Search for a product called skin so soft. It's designed to be a moisturiser but is a really good insect/fly repellant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Ferrari uses this training method, he rides behind the athlete he is coaching with a box of flies which he opens on them when they slow down on climbs, count yourself lucky your getting this $1000 treatment for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Unfortunately the common deer fly (or similar) -the type that is normally found out and about is attracted to the CO2 coming off you.

They are notoriously difficult to repel - most repellents won't touch them. They tend to not like the cooler weather but the warm, humid days are like manna to heaven to them.

General advice is:
    • use a DEET based repellent on your clothes - test patch first though .. it's not to nice to plastics etc.
    • If you wear a hat/ visor at all try and DEET that too.
    • You'll probably sweat off any skin repellents so prob not worth the money to buy them - you'd have to stop and re-apply every 10 mins!
    • Don't wear any perfumed products e.g. aftershaves, spray deoderants etc
    • I've heard the story about the Avon product but there is no evidence to support this (and having worked and trained in travel medicine believe me I have looked up all the stuff about the "I heard this works..." items".
    If that doesn't work then it's a hat with corks hanging off for you?

Gg

Advertisement