Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been approved for BTEA yet?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I have applied at start of month and should qualify but when i spoke with social welfare they said that they put off making a decision until much later.

question is, is this the case for everyone or just me?

tks

Neonitrix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I've been told that applications are not going to be looked at until mid August.
    Apparently they don't have the staff and are hiring a temp for a few weeks towards the end of the Summer just to do the Btea applications so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

KeithTS wrote: »
    I've been told that applications are not going to be looked at until mid August.
    Apparently they don't have the staff and are hiring a temp for a few weeks towards the end of the Summer just to do the Btea applications so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi,

I applied in Cork city 3 weeks ago handed in my forms and the lady said to me to give a ring in 2 weeks...I rang today and a snotty little cow told me theyd write out to me when a decision was made but they wouldnt even be looking at them til end of August...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

ditto on the snotty people in the cork office!!!

ive applied to meet a facilitator in regards with the btea cos im short of the 234 days and i need to sweet talk them into giving it to me,

im waiting over 2 weeks just for a meeting and i went in today to find out how much longer i might be waiting and i asked the guy in reception and he said
    'how should I know,you'll probably be another month waiting' (which contradicts his first sentence)

I was freaking out trying to get it in as soon as possible but if they dont look at it till mid august that gives me a bit of time to meet the stupid facilitator!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I got a letter saying I was approved about 3/4 weeks after I applied. I put my application in around the end of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Still haven't heard anything back on my own application yet but its early days yet I reckon, having only handed in the application 4 weeks ago. Really nervous about it too having already got a diploma many moons ago (now going for a hons degree in different discipline) even though someone told me that because I was progressing that I should still be eligible. Anyway I shall continue to wait anxiously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ni churraoin

I applied last wk on d Tues and I received a letter Mon saying that ive been approved!!!!:) I was shocked myself how quick they responded seen as I was waiting 6months 4them 2process my application for Jobseekers allowance in the 1st place!! Delighted they changed requirements by reducing required time to be on JSA, which allowed me 2qualify :) Its my 1st time doing an undergratuate course so maybe thats why I got such a quick decision, it was also my local welfare office I had to apply to so maybe some local social welfares have less applications than others therefore can process them quicker.
    Best of luck to every1, hope ye get a positive response soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 krinklez

Thats good to hear they have reduced the amount of time you have to be unemployed for, I was a few weeks short last year and was refused, I had already started the course at that stage so I had to drop out and pay back the dole I had gotten while there. I was told there was no appeals committee and trying to get any info from them while I was waiting to be (un)approved was impossible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

i sent in my forms two weeks ago and have no reply yet
    i will start worry once it hits september:(, i was told that it might take time seen as everyone puts in the Beta forms in during july.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

i got a letter during the week saying my application was unsuccessful, a regular occurance these days, but the reasons they quoted are all wrong. so i have to provide evidence to the contrary and have my application reassessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 waspx

My application was unsuccessful too, I'm crackin! They said its because I already hold a qualification at an equal or higher level. Does anyone know if it makes a difference that the college I went to was private part time and I paid my own way through, never asked the government for a penny!
    The Diploma I have is not worth a s**t to me, I was made redundant in Jan '09 and have been on socail welfare ever since, there is no jobs out there in my line of work.
    Someone please tell me if I have a chance of getting the BTEA....:confused:

• Advertisement

waspx wrote: »
    My application was unsuccessful too, I'm crackin! They said its because I already hold a qualification at an equal or higher level. Does anyone know if it makes a difference that the college I went to was private part time and I paid my own way through, never asked the government for a penny!
    The Diploma I have is not worth a s**t to me, I was made redundant in Jan '09 and have been on socail welfare ever since, there is no jobs out there in my line of work.
    Someone please tell me if I have a chance of getting the BTEA....:confused:

if you can prove that the qualification you hold isn't an equal or higher one then you might have a chance. you cant appeal the decision but you can have your application re-assessed by a different welfare officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi lads,i need some help from you: i'm being unemployed since september 2009,been in TCD third year of the degree.Last year i had to postpone the forth / last year due to redundancy and financial problems.
    Is there a chance that through this BTEA scheme,to get some form of payment towards my annual or half-annual fee payment !? As far as i remember ,last fee i paid was in region of 6000e pa...

the only worries i have is because this year is the only available year when they will run this discipline and by not sitting it i have a great chance of losing the other three years done previously...

thanks in advance !

rolion wrote: »
    Hi lads,i need some help from you: i'm being unemployed since september 2009,been in TCD third year of the degree.Last year i had to postpone the forth / last year due to redundancy and financial problems.
    Is there a chance that through this BTEA scheme,to get some form of payment towards my annual or half-annual fee payment !? As far as i remember ,last fee i paid was in region of 6000e pa...

the only worries i have is because this year is the only available year when they will run this discipline and by not sitting it i have a great chance of losing the other three years done previously...

thanks in advance !

a maintenance grant from your local council might be more suitable maybe

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/higher_education_grants_scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 7 waspx

fcleere wrote: »
    if you can prove that the qualification you hold isn't an equal or higher one then you might have a chance. you cant appeal the decision but you can have your application re-assessed by a different welfare officer

Eventhough it was in a private college? And its an english diploma! What if I told them I never finished the course, they would never find would they?
    I feel like kicking myself because if I hadn't told them about it they would have never known!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks for reply..i didn't know about it...but that is available only for full-time courses,mine was part-time/evening...
    fcleere wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

How are people being approved already? Do you not have to provide proof of your registration wuth the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

HoPpiE wrote: »
    How are people being approved already? Do you not have to provide proof of your registration wuth the college?

Update: I got a letter this morning saying my application for BTEA has been successful and in the letter it says

"Before payment of the BTEA can be approved, you must supply written confirmation from your school/college (Registrars Office/Admissions office only acceptable). It must state that you are commencing/following a course of study and registered as a full-time student as outlined in your application. This information should be supplied to this section" inc a prepaid envelope.

"Payment of the BTEA or the annual Cost of Education Allowance will not issue until this information is supplied"

I am going to talk with the college and see exactly when will registration take place. i have already gotten approval for full fees by local VEC

One last question ... are you allowed to work part-time while receiving the BTEA, if so is there a limit to amount of hours your allowed to do.

tks

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Just filling in the BTEA form myself tonight. will drop it in tomorrow. Be interesting to see how fast they get back to me.

Also filled in the grant application form to get fees covered. But I'm waiting to get some documents from SW so can't send it in just yet. Hope I get it done before I start because I don't fancy finding 1500 registration fees. I could be tapping the Bank of Mum and Dad again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

Applied almost 3 weeks ago but havent heard back anything yet. Hopefully ill hear in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

One last question ... are you allowed to work part-time while receiving the BTEA, if so is there a limit to amount of hours your allowed to do.

You are allowed to work as much as you like and it has no effect on your payments which is a handy number.

One thing for everybody to bear in mind though, You only get paid btea for the duration of the academic year. For the Summer months you have to re-apply for jobseekers benefit/allowance so if you are working during the college year you may not be elligible to go back onto your previous benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

neonitrix wrote: »
    Update: I got a letter this morning saying my application for BTEA has been successful and in the letter it says

"Before payment of the BTEA can be approved, you must supply written confirmation from your school/college (Registrars Office/Admissions office only acceptable). It must state that you are commencing/following a course of study and registered as a full-time student as outlined in your application. This information should be supplied to this section" inc a prepaid envelope.

"Payment of the BTEA or the annual Cost of Education Allowance will not issue until this information is supplied"

I am going to talk with the college and see exactly when will registration take place. i have already gotten approval for full fees by local VEC

tks

neonitrix

this is good news i have my application in since around the 10/11th july i think ... still waiting to hear but encouraging that you got a letter this early

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

Hi,

I went in yest AGAIN to the social welfare office to enquire about BTEA the girl told me there will be 1 person starting to process the applications next week...and they are doing them alphabetically...not great news for those of us who got ours in early....unless your name is adams that is:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

the above does not sound too good
    Has anyone else heard from social that their BTEA has been rejected or approved?
    getting anxious now

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Going into second year and got the above letter thing is we dont register to 13th September last year it was december before I got the payment sorted. Wonder would it be possible to get a letter from college before actual day of registration im def going back got my results and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

waspx wrote: »
    Eventhough it was in a private college? And its an english diploma! What if I told them I never finished the course, they would never find would they?
    I feel like kicking myself because if I hadn't told them about it they would have never known!!

At what level is the course you have been accepted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

My local social welfare office(kilbarrack) said they don't look at applications until September so not to expect a response until then. Like others said, they hire temp staff to go through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

I'm applying for BTEA tomorrow but i'm terrified they'll say no because i got a letter from them on thursday saying that i was almost out of tax credits and that my dole will be cut off soon!!!
    If i don't get BTEA there's no way i can afford college!

If its any help to the people who are afraid of how long BTEA will take after succesful application: last year they paid me my dole every week until it was sorted out- i missed out on about one week but they paid me double then the next week!
    and at the time i'm sure it was put through about 2 days after i gave in my letter of registration- i know it was definatly really quick because i remeber being shocked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

As a previous BTEA user:

BTEA won't be paid out until they receive a registration letter from the college, which can only be got from the 2nd day onwards of college and you will only get the letter of registration if your fees have been paid. So your grant application form will have to have been accepted also.

But if you been granted the BTEA, and have to wait, the BTEA will be saved and you will get the Lump Sum your owed

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

johndoe99 wrote: »
    As a previous BTEA user:

BTEA won't be paid out until they receive a registration letter from the college, which can only be got from the 2nd day onwards of college and you will only get the letter of registration if your fees have been paid. So your grant application form will have to have been accepted also.

But if you been granted the BTEA, and have to wait, the BTEA will be saved and you will get the Lump Sum your owed

Is it really possible to claim money through the grant for fees and registration as well as BTEA? I was under the impression it was one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Is it really possible to claim money through the grant for fees and registration as well as BTEA? I was under the impression it was one or the other.

You can claim for both seperately, and if you meet the requirements you may get both.

Advertisement