Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been approved for BTEA yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Thats great, filling out the form now.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

tonto2010 wrote: »
    Thats great, filling out the form now.

Cheers :)

They are 2 seperate application forms, The Grant Application and the BTEA 1 form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

The only crap thing was when i was last getting the BTEA (5 years back)

If your course runs for more than one year, you have to go back on unemployment assistance during the summer break and re-apply again for BTEA the following year, i had to do this 4 times over 4 years, and even though i told them I was on a 4 year course, they still expect you to look for work.

I don't know if its the same now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

johndoe99 wrote: »
    The only crap thing was when i was last getting the BTEA (5 years back)

If your course runs for more than one year, you have to go back on unemployment assistance during the summer break and re-apply again for BTEA the following year, i had to do this 4 times over 4 years, and even though i told them I was on a 4 year course, they still expect you to look for work.

I don't know if its the same now.

its the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

its the same

what a feckin country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

what a feckin country

If you are on a 4 year course you don't haveto keep reapplying after each year. you get sent a form when each year is nearly up where you fill out the date of commencement for the following year. I got this form when I was finishing up a course last may.

You are right though about summer. You haveto look for work as this is outside the academic year.

what a feckin country

pretty much isn't it.
    i taught they be happy to see people go back to education instead of sittign on their backside at least they are making a effort

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

In all fairness though, where else can you get paid €196 a week to go to college plus get your fees paid at the same time.
    Having to work, or reapply to go on jobseekers for 3 months is a minor inconvenience. the trouble with us Irish folk is that we're never happy with anything, go abroad to a lot of well off European countries where the unemployed get a quater of what we receive and are entitled to no btea or anything that comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

KeithTS wrote: »
    In all fairness though, where else can you get paid €196 a week to go to college plus get your fees paid at the same time.
    Having to work, or reapply to go on jobseekers for 3 months is a minor inconvenience. the trouble with us Irish folk is that we're never happy with anything, go abroad to a lot of well off European countries where the unemployed get a quater of what we receive and are entitled to no btea or anything that comes close.

Cost of living is also far less in most other countries, Keith. And there's sweet feck all for someone who has a degree already (regardless of how useless said degree is :cool:), even if that person has spent the past two years unemployed with no sign of a job (any job) in sight. I'll agree that this country offers great opportunities with regards going back to school/college for people who may not have done so first time round but for the rest of us mugs who thought we were doing the right thing by going to college only to find ourselves languishing on the dole queues after bursting our arses for 4 years there is sweet F all.

Bitter, moi? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JC2009

Just have a quick question. If you work on a Sunday does it have an affect the 234 days you must be on Jobseekers Benefit etc to qualify for BTEA or is it disregarded?

• Advertisement

JC2009 wrote: »
    Just have a quick question. If you work on a Sunday does it have an affect the 234 days you must be on Jobseekers Benefit etc to qualify for BTEA or is it disregarded?

Sunday's do not make up part of the 234 days, only 6 days a week are counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JC2009

Thank you :-D I've heard such conflicting information that my brains frazzled!

KeithTS wrote: »

Wish I could get my fees paid for me. I already have a degree so amn't entitled to 'free' fees. If i get BTEA, nearly every cent will be used to pay for my fees. 8,500 a year. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

loca1 wrote: »
    Going into second year and got the above letter thing is we dont register to 13th September last year it was december before I got the payment sorted. Wonder would it be possible to get a letter from college before actual day of registration im def going back got my results and all.

Hey ,

I got my letter from collage 2 weeks ago, Once you have been offer a place the collage can give you a letter, Email student services and they should let you know who you need to contact,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Wish I could get my fees paid for me. I already have a degree so amn't entitled to 'free' fees. If i get BTEA, nearly every cent will be used to pay for my fees. 8,500 a year. :/

Ouch! thought I had it bad with 4,000 a year. Hope it comes through for you.

If you already are the holder of a degree you may not get BTEA, unless you are doing a masters level 9 etc (I think)

If you already are the holder of a degree you may not get BTEA, unless you are doing a masters level 9 etc (I think)

Yeah, i know. But i got BTEA last year when I did a 1-year fetac lvl5 course and they never said anything to me about already holding a degree. I think i was considered under 'exceptional circumstances' or sumit. I'm progressing now to a lvl8 degree so presume(hope) they'll grant it again. I was told by a local officer that they can't see why i would be rejected if i got it last year.

fingers crossed like everyone else waiting....

Yeah, i know. But i got BTEA last year when I did a 1-year fetac lvl5 course and they never said anything to me about already holding a degree. I think i was considered under 'exceptional circumstances' or sumit. I'm progressing now to a lvl8 degree so presume(hope) they'll grant it again. I was told by a local officer that they can't see why i would be rejected if i got it last year.

fingers crossed like everyone else waiting....

i'd "stay quiet" about degree if I were you ! What course are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Applied out in Coolock last Wednesday afternoon and got a letter Thursday morning saying I had been approved.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Applied out in Coolock last Wednesday afternoon and got a letter Thursday morning saying I had been approved.

that was quick:eek:

i sent my forms in three weeks ago and haven't a word since

• Advertisement

are there any other options if they turn you down for the BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

that was quick:eek:

i sent my forms in three weeks ago and haven't a word since

Trust me I am as shocked as anyone, also got my statements for the Maintenance grant within a few days too.

I think the main option if you are refused BTEA is the full Maintenance Grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

I applied on August 5th and got confirmation this morning August 11 so it only took 4 workings days.

Now fingers crossed I can get the fees grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I applied the last week in june and haven't heard anything, went down about it a few weeks ago and they wouldn't tell me when I should hear about it the lazy fcukers.

I know I will qualify but when I will get my payments is another story.

i'd "stay quiet" about degree if I were you ! What course are you doing?

Well, the form is already sent in. Don't wanna lie. Degree is Diagnostic Radiography (BSc). Have a BA from before.

Like i said i got it last year and they knew i already had a 'equal or higher qualification' so :shrug:

Well, the form is already sent in. Don't wanna lie. Degree is Diagnostic Radiography (BSc). Have a BA from before.

Like i said i got it last year and they knew i already had a 'equal or higher qualification' so :shrug:

Hopefully your successful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

neonitrix wrote: »
    Update: I got a letter this morning saying my application for BTEA has been successful and in the letter it says

"Before payment of the BTEA can be approved, you must supply written confirmation from your school/college (Registrars Office/Admissions office only acceptable). It must state that you are commencing/following a course of study and registered as a full-time student as outlined in your application. This information should be supplied to this section" inc a prepaid envelope.

"Payment of the BTEA or the annual Cost of Education Allowance will not issue until this information is supplied"

I am going to talk with the college and see exactly when will registration take place. i have already gotten approval for full fees by local VEC

One last question ... are you allowed to work part-time while receiving the BTEA, if so is there a limit to amount of hours your allowed to do.

tks

neonitrix

Got the same letter myself. Where are you going to go to college?

Anyone on this thread going to St Pats Drumcondra?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

I applied the last week in june and haven't heard anything, went down about it a few weeks ago and they wouldn't tell me when I should hear about it the lazy fcukers.

I know I will qualify but when I will get my payments is another story.

I applied start of July and heard nothing so rang them on Monday....whole hulla bullu but end up my app. was lost and i had to submit a new one. I did it that day but the ONE PERSON in the local office who is the ONLY ONE who deals with BETA seems to have gone AWAL. Nobody knows why he is off or when he'll be back. I am feckin rippin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

I applied start of July and heard nothing so rang them on Monday....whole hulla bullu but end up my app. was lost and i had to submit a new one. I did it that day but the ONE PERSON in the local office who is the ONLY ONE who deals with BETA seems to have gone AWAL. Nobody knows why he is off or when he'll be back. I am feckin rippin.

i think i applied to the same office ,,, but theres another 3 weeks so hopefully .. but why was you application lost ,, thats not good enough !
    im gona head in next week and see what the story is

Advertisement