Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been approved for BTEA yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

i sent my forms in a month ago
    some people sent forms in a day and got a letter back two days later
    is that a bad sign or is that a rare case

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Hopefully your successful
    Thanks.:)
    I applied start of July and heard nothing so rang them on Monday....whole hulla bullu but end up my app. was lost and i had to submit a new one. I did it that day but the ONE PERSON in the local office who is the ONLY ONE who deals with BETA seems to have gone AWAL. Nobody knows why he is off or when he'll be back. I am feckin rippin.

Wow, your local office actually answer the phone? Thought civil servants in local offices don't bother answering the phones anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Just got the letter saying I have been approved, was waiting for about a month and half for that decision. To say I am delighted would be an understatement.
    Best of luck to anyone who is still waiting and hope it comes through for you.

Trekmad wrote: »
    Just got the letter saying I have been approved, was waiting for about a month and half for that decision. To say I am delighted would be an understatement.
    Best of luck to anyone who is still waiting and hope it comes through for you.

well done :) i was turned down today. i'm around 20 working days short. with the current economic situation ill be probably in the system for an extra year for the sake of 20 days :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

well done :) i was turned down today. i'm around 20 working days short. with the current economic situation ill be probably in the system for an extra year for the sake of 20 days :mad:

Sorry to hear that, I was cutting it fairly close myself. Really baffles me why they don't make exceptions for people like yourself who would be so close to qualifying and are making a huge effort to up-skill so they can once again contribute back to the economy, but no they rather let people sit in the system, its a shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

thats really disappointing that u got turned down by 20 days, i was the same but as i was on casual allowance (i worked a 3 day week) they say that time might account for some of the 234 days, anyways ive yet to hear back,

but if i were in your shoes i wouldnt stop here, ive said it before that i saw a girl say that she didnt even qualify for the btea as she was out of the country for more that 3 out of 5 years and she contacted her local Councillor who got on to their TD with happened to be brian lenihan, and within a few days she got a letter from the social welfare telling her she has full btea!

So if you get a td to write a letter saying that your only a little bit short im sure they would have to listen, You might aswell make use of the yokes

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Did you speak to the Jobs Facilitator in your local social welfare office?

Did you speak to the Jobs Facilitator in your local social welfare office?

Thanks everyone for their replies. That's certainly an idea alright Long Term Louth. i have a TD on the case for all the good it will do. if i was a few months short fair enough but 20 working days and you wouldn't mind i was let off work without notice or redundancy. Im signed on from 22nd of Dec 09 and i done 5 weeks with FAS in May. its only a 2 year cert and i mean for the sake of twenty days i could be out of the system a year earlier and re-entering a positive economy in as little as two years but trust this moronic government to pull the rug from under me. ive tried for loads of jobs but done even get dear johns

Thanks everyone for their replies. That's certainly an idea alright Long Term Louth. i have a TD on the case for all the good it will do. if i was a few months short fair enough but 20 working days and you wouldn't mind i was let off work without notice or redundancy. Im signed on from 22nd of Dec 09 and i done 5 weeks with FAS in May. its only a 2 year cert and i mean for the sake of twenty days i could be out of the system a year earlier and re-entering a positive economy in as little as two years but trust this moronic government to pull the rug from under me. ive tried for loads of jobs but done even get dear johns

Youre 5 weeks in FAS should count AFAIK, diefinately find out the Jobs facilitator's name and speak to them tomorrow if possible. I would seek their opinion prior to getting any TD'S involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

applied for mine last week. im inportlaoise.

got my letter to say im approved today. now all i need is a place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

leahbaby ....... that is so crazy . your so lucky at least you know
    my application is in since mid july and i have heard nothing .
    if i dont hear by thursday im heading in ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rockblu

can anyone tell me how long do u have to be on jobseekers payment to qualify for btea?also does it matter which type of benifit you are getting in order to make you eligible for btea?cheers

rockblu wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how long do u have to be on jobseekers payment to qualify for btea?also does it matter which type of benifit you are getting in order to make you eligible for btea?cheers

This will help

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

just went into social there
    all i heard is that my application is in a box and there is alot of applicants
    don't know , i really hope i hear soon

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭iwannagoonstric

Wow, your local office actually answer the phone? Thought civil servants in local offices don't bother answering the phones anymore.[/QUOTE]

i was in the local office, then outside ringing the area office, then back in local office, then out to ring head office. lost the head a bit to get an answer. nearly went through the phone when the doll told me that mr x was on hols and sure its only a day - what diff will that make!!

Still no word

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

i got my letter of approval today, a serious load off my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

W86indow wrote: »
    leahbaby ....... that is so crazy . your so lucky at least you know
    my application is in since mid july and i have heard nothing .
    if i dont hear by thursday im heading in ..

yeah i was lucky!hopefully the vec will pay my student charge or else i cant go!i have a mortgage and cant afford the 1500 nuim are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭travnett

KeithTS wrote: »
    In all fairness though, where else can you get paid €196 a week to go to college plus get your fees paid at the same time.
    Having to work, or reapply to go on jobseekers for 3 months is a minor inconvenience. the trouble with us Irish folk is that we're never happy with anything, go abroad to a lot of well off European countries where the unemployed get a quater of what we receive and are entitled to no btea or anything that comes close.

This is not true;

I am currently living in Switzerland, (Irish citizen) I'm unemployed my dole payment is 70% of my previous monthly wage I can get this for 2 years, however I still have to pay tax (11%) and social (5%) on this amount. They have also put me on a german course for 3 months as I do not speak the lingo and after this course they will put me on a further 3 month course if I like the course costs €2500 for the 3 months (this is standard practice for non-nationals who are unemployed). I get paid while on the course + travel and food money per month. My friend got them to pay a 6 week course for his career which cost them €15,000.

In Sweden they have a similar unemployment setup. You receive 70%-80% of your previous monthly wage up to a set amount per day (something like €150) also all foreigners coming to live in Sweden automatically get put on a Swedish course for a min of 3 months. Also college is FREE for all EU people and they have a lot of degrees thought in English there, and also again they will put prospective students who have got a confirmed offer from a Swedish university on a Swedish language course for a min 3 months before your college is due to commence.

France and Germany is similar, I have friends on the dole in France and 1 of them (he is form the UK) is receiving in excess of €800 per week on the dole, he is married and has kids so he gets more.

For all the money that the Irish government has "wasted" pumping into the banking system and the billions more that they will end up giving them, they could have adopted a similar system to other european countries regarding education and social payments.

P.S if anyone is interested in studying in Sweden you can find information here and here

travnett wrote: »
    This is not true;

I am currently living in Switzerland, (Irish citizen) I'm unemployed my dole payment is 70% of my previous monthly wage I can get this for 2 years, however I still have to pay tax (11%) and social (5%) on this amount. They have also put me on a german course for 3 months as I do not speak the lingo and after this course they will put me on a further 3 month course if I like the course costs €2500 for the 3 months (this is standard practice for non-nationals who are unemployed). I get paid while on the course + travel and food money per month. My friend got them to pay a 6 week course for his career which cost them €15,000.

In Sweden they have a similar unemployment setup. You receive 70%-80% of your previous monthly wage up to a set amount per day (something like €150) also all foreigners coming to live in Sweden automatically get put on a Swedish course for a min of 3 months. Also college is FREE for all EU people and they have a lot of degrees thought in English there, and also again they will put prospective students who have got a confirmed offer from a Swedish university on a Swedish language course for a min 3 months before your college is due to commence.

France and Germany is similar, I have friends on the dole in France and 1 of them (he is form the UK) is receiving in excess of €800 per week on the dole, he is married and has kids so he gets more.

For all the money that the Irish government has "wasted" pumping into the banking system and the billions more that they will end up giving them, they could have adopted a similar system to other european countries regarding education and social payments.

P.S if anyone is interested in studying in Sweden you can find information here and here

I'd love to see proof of this? and also what will happen when your 2 years run out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭travnett

I'd love to see proof of this? and also what will happen when your 2 years run out?

I can show you my pay slips which I receive every month form the Swiss social office if you are interested, after the 2years you get other social benefits which would be similar in amounts to what we get in Ireland.
    FOR THE SWISS SYSTEM SEE THIS LINK or i quote
    Unemployment benefit amounts to 70% of average pay liable to contributions received in the last six months. Insured persons with children to support or whose unemployment benefit is below a specified minimum level receive 80% of their last pay liable to contributions. Unemployment benefit is paid as a daily allowance for five days per week.
    Entitlement begins after a waiting period of five days of verified unemployment and continues for two years from registration as unemployed and signing on at the employment office. During this period you are entitled to not more than 400 daily allowances if you are under the age of 55 or to 520 daily allowances if 55 or over and have paid contributions for not less than 18 months. Unemployed persons in groups recognised as difficult to place for labour market reasons may, subject to the consent of the employment office, take part in advanced training or reinsertion measures paid for by the unemployment insurance scheme while continuing to receive daily allowances.
    For the french system I quote
    Replacement income
    The daily unemployment allowance is calculated partly on the basis of a daily reference wage. The reference wage is based on earnings subject to contributions during the 12 calendar months prior to the last day of paid work, up to a limit of four times the Social Security ceiling (€11,540 per month).

The amount of the daily allowance is either:

40.4% of the daily reference wage plus a fixed amount of €10.93,
    57.4% of the daily reference wage if this is more advantageous for the claimant.
    The amount of the daily allowance cannot be lower than €26.66 or higher than 75% of the daily reference wage.

Benefit is paid for every day of the week. On top of a “paid holidays-waiting period” a maximum 75-day waiting period applies in the case of non-statutory separation pay, as well as a seven-day deferred compensation payment.

The duration of benefit payments depends on the period during which the jobseeker has been registered with the scheme and their age. The minimum period for the payment of benefits is 122 days and the maximum period 730 days for private-sector employees aged under 50, and 1,095 days for employees aged over 50.

For more information, visit the UNEDIC and Pôle emploi websites:

see for more information

• Advertisement

travnett wrote: »
    I can show you my pay slips which I receive every month form the Swiss social office if you are interested, after the 2years you get other social benefits which would be similar in amounts to what we get in Ireland.
    FOR THE SWISS SYSTEM SEE THIS LINK or i quote
    For the french system I quote

for more information

"In all fairness though, where else can you get paid €196 a week to go to college plus get your fees paid at the same time.
    Having to work, or reapply to go on jobseekers for 3 months is a minor inconvenience. the trouble with us Irish folk is that we're never happy with anything, go abroad to a lot of well off European countries where the unemployed get a quater of what we receive and are entitled to no btea or anything that comes close".

No need for the payslips,
    Does the system provide for the long term unemployed, as both appear geared towards people who have made contributions, it also appears that the actions taken are aimed towards getting you back to work ASAP. Do they actually pay college fees for 4 years €9,000 + in some cases and provide you with a minimum of €196 pw? perhaps they do but I can see where in the documentation supplied.

Congrats to everyone who got it.

well i asked for SW to review my case anyhow for all the good it will do me and i've been trying to contact my local TD the last two days to no avail..ill have no problem contacting him in 2012 though id say :rolleyes:. My employment ended Dec 7th 2009 and its stated on my P45 yet i didnt sign on straight away. I didn't even know there was such thing as a BTEA scheme at the time. Im officially drawing JSB since 22 dec 09. I have to register for carlow IT on sept 8th.Ive tried and tried for jobs but there is nothing out there. i would rather upskill tbh.
    I have to say its very very disheartening to have gone through all this sh*t the last 9 months only to be turned down for sake of a few days and i'm kicking myself for not signing on straight away :(

Congrats to everyone who got it.

well i asked for SW to review my case anyhow for all the good it will do me and i've been trying to contact my local TD the last two days to no avail..ill have no problem contacting him in 2012 though id say :rolleyes:. My employment ended Dec 7th 2009 and its stated on my P45 yet i didnt sign on straight away. I didn't even know there was such thing as a BTEA scheme at the time. Im officially drawing JSB since 22 dec 09. I have to register for carlow IT on sept 8th.Ive tried and tried for jobs but there is nothing out there. i would rather upskill tbh.
    I have to say its very very disheartening to have gone through all this sh*t the last 9 months only to be turned down for sake of a few days and i'm kicking myself for not signing on straight away :(

The person you need to speak to is the jobs facilitator in your local welfare office and prove to them that your chosen course will advance your employment prospects, until you have done so I would'nt lose hope just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

yay i got accepted for btea today!

I thought i was a few days short but as i was working a 3 day week and getting casual allowance (before i was was on jobseekers) this counted for some of my unemployed days! so ya!y cant wait for my e500

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

I also got accepted today :D

Just received the letter saying I'm approved. I'll start getting paid when I provide them with a letter from college after I start the course in september.

It took not even 3 weeks for me to hear back from social welfare.

woo also got accepted today !
    the wait is over , tk gawd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

quote*yay i got accepted for btea today!* quote

Congrats!
    In the Cork office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

I got turned down a few days ago:(
    They said i wasn't on the social welfare:confused:. I was on the jobseekers allowance for the year that ended in the first week of August and before that i signed out forms for the jobseekers benfit a good three weeks before the my Jobseekers Allowance ran out. So i'm waiting to hear back from that. But I had sent in my BTEA forms in June.

Have i a case. I really need a second opinion on this Please. I'm a bit down about it cause without this i can't do my course simply cause i can't affford too.

I got turned down a few days ago:(
    They said i wasn't on the social welfare:confused:. I was on the jobseekers allowance for the year that ended in the first week of August and before that i signed out forms for the jobseekers benfit a good three weeks before the my Jobseekers Allowance ran out. So i'm waiting to hear back from that. But I had sent in my BTEA forms in June.

Have i a case. I really need a second opinion on this Please. I'm a bit down about it cause without this i can't do my course simply cause i can't affford too.

thats sounds pretty sh*t. if your still currently unemployed and have been for over 9 months (234 days :rolleyes:) then your more then entitled to it. get down to your local office asap and make appointment with your officer and explain to him that you have been unemployed for x amount of months and show him the proof. all else fails get the local TD involved.

They must have something against us Arsenal fans. Thats two of us now :D

• Advertisement

W86indow wrote: »
    woo also got accepted today !
    the wait is over , tk gawd :D

Really delighted for yourself and everyone who got it and best of luck for the coming academic year. :)

Advertisement