Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been approved for BTEA yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

thats sounds pretty sh*t. if your still currently unemployed and have been for over 9 months (234 days :rolleyes:) then your more then entitled to it. get down to your local office asap and make appointment with your officer and explain to him that you have been unemployed for x amount of months and show him the proof. all else fails get the local TD involved.

They must have something against us Arsenal fans. Thats two of us now :D

:p Arsenal fans always get ripped off

I'm well over nine months now. I'm going on Monday to sort it out cause without BTEA i'm screwed.

thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just wondering if anyone could help me with the cost of education allowance, is this paid yearly? The website says its an annual one off payment but i thought it was only paid once at the begining of first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

your back to education allowance is paid into your account weekly,its the same amount u get on jobseekers and rent allowance, You do not have to sign on once a month either which is great.

you get a once off payment for books etc which is e500, this is paid at the start of the school year. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

you get a once off payment for books etc which is e500, this is paid at the start of the school year. hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, but what I am wondering is do yoy get the 500 every year. If your course is three years do you get 500 each September in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year? I was under the impression you just got it going into 1st years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, but what I am wondering is do yoy get the 500 every year. If your course is three years do you get 500 each September in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year? I was under the impression you just got it going into 1st years.

Yes you do. You're reapplying for BTE every year and you'll get it same as the first year. That's the way it was for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I know l may be getting ahead myself here but l wanted to a ask a question.

If next summer after first year (and receiving btea) you fail to obtain employment and you use up all of your jb and not qualify for ja, does that mean you do not get btea going into second year because you are not in receipt of any payment.

Just curious if anyone has had this experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Trekmad wrote: »

If next summer after first year (and receiving btea) you fail to obtain employment and you use up all of your jb and not qualify for ja, does that mean you do not get btea going into second year because you are not in receipt of any payment.

I don't think it would work that way at all, I think if you got BTEA and signed upto a 2 or 3 year course they would have to give you BTEA for 2 or 3 years

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

im wondering the same thing , sorry for getting ahead of myself but im considering doing a J1 for next summer . and would i have to sign on when i come back ?? and my stamps wud surely be used up by then .. so does that mean id be means tested or
    the way they say your not entitled to BTEA in the summer mths can you just not sign on all summer and then reapply for btea ? or will they give out to you for not signing on ?
    has anyone done it ??

W86indow wrote: »
    im wondering the same thing , sorry for getting ahead of myself but im considering doing a J1 for next summer . and would i have to sign on when i come back ?? and my stamps wud surely be used up by then .. so does that mean id be means tested or
    the way they say your not entitled to BTEA in the summer mths can you just not sign on all summer and then reapply for btea ? or will they give out to you for not signing on ?
    has anyone done it ??

Afaik if you go on a j1 you'll obviously have to sign off. When you come back you'll have to sign on again and here lies the problem. The social welfare will be signing you on from scratch so you won't have been unemployed for the required amount of time to qualify for btea for the upcoming academic year. You have to reapply every year for btea even though your degree is 3 years. Basically you need to be signing on for the summer months to get your btea. I'm fairly sure this is how it works but you may need to get advice elsewhere.

Your btea allowance is only for 1 year i.e the upcomming academic year. It dosn't matter that your degree is 3 years you still have to reapply for btea every year. If you don't qualify for jsa, jsb or any other related benefits you don't get btea.

• Advertisement

deleted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Eoghanacht wrote: »
    Afaik if you go on a j1 you'll obviously have to sign off. When you come back you'll have to sign on again and here lies the problem. The social welfare will be signing you on from scratch so you won't have been unemployed for the required amount of time to qualify for btea for the upcoming academic year. You have to reapply every year for btea even though your degree is 3 years. Basically you need to be signing on for the summer months to get your btea. I'm fairly sure this is how it works but you may need to get advice elsewhere.

It really gets on my nerves when people come on here blurting out utter crap!!!!

When exactly did you make up this pile of bullsh*t?

It clearly says on the social welfare site that you can work during the summer, so you DO NOT need to be 'signing on' during the summer.

In future ,please get your facts right, before you come on here posting crap thinking you know it all.

yaaa exactly thats the thing
    you can work for the summer but , what happens when you reapply for BTEA?

Surely people have worked for the summer and just reapplied for the btea and maybe worked partime ...
    i have read everything on the social welfare site , but there is nothing about it . and im farely sure you are entitled to btea for however long your course is you just have to reapply obviously every sept thats the way it seems

Im sure by this time next year if i was just coming back , i wouldnt have stamps and id be means tested i really dont know , . Anyone any ideas?

Quoted from the welfare site

[HTML]If you are going on to the next year of your course or moving to a higher qualification, you will get your BTEA again from the start of the new academic year regardless of whether you got an unemployment payment for the summer.[/HTML]

OK, I may be answering my own question here, but I pulled this from the DSP website.

welfare.ie wrote:
    • If you were previously getting an unemployment payment, the allowance is paid during the academic year only. It is not paid for the summer period between academic years.
    • BTEA participants who cannot find a job during the summer may claim an unemployment payment, but only if they satisfy the usual qualifying conditions.
    • If you are going on to the next year of your course or moving to a higher qualification, you will get your BTEA again from the start of the new academic year regardless of whether you got an unemployment payment for the summer.
    • If you finish one course, but intend moving to a higher qualification in the following academic year, you must re-apply for BTEA. The allowance is not paid between courses.
    So according to this you should get it regardless, sorry if I caused a fuss but it was just something that popped into my head late last night.

thank you
    i did not see that regardless bit , that is great news , i hope to get a part time job in the meantime also , but great news indeed .
    really have got to get out of this country next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^ Me too!!! the get out of the country for awhile bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

I applied for BTEA last Friday and I got my letter saying I've been approved today! Delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

sugajay wrote: »
    I applied for BTEA last Friday and I got my letter saying I've been approved today! Delighted :)

Lucky you, I was in Drogheda today, I sent in my forms at the end of June. Meet a lovely woman who said there are piles of them there on that desk (which I could see) and there was no-one in the office to sort them out. They are waiting on more staff to come in. Mid Sept is when they should have it sorted.

In short anyone who applied for BTEA in Drogheda, should carry on into college, and wait till Mid Sept.

I got a phone call from the dole today asking what date I was starting college, and she said I will be approved. They could have sending out a letter, but at least I know now,about time aswell I sent in my app in June :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Got a phone call yesterday to say they are looking at my application and I'll know by this week, said it's looking good but I won't relax until I get a letter saying it's mine.
    The last few months has been torture, waiting for interviews for courses, acceptance letters, and now btea and grants stuff. the whole process has taken years off my life.

I got a phone call from the dole today asking what date I was starting college, and she said I will be approved. They could have sending out a letter, but at least I know now,about time aswell I sent in my app in June :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::P
    Don't forget to fill out the grant application form in order to apply for the fees to be paid for

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Don't forget to fill out the grant application form in order to apply for the fees to be paid for

I have that done, been approved for the fee payment from DCC.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

I have been approved and all so I am delighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

KeithTS wrote: »
    Got a phone call yesterday to say they are looking at my application and I'll know by this week, said it's looking good but I won't relax until I get a letter saying it's mine.
    The last few months has been torture, waiting for interviews for courses, acceptance letters, and now btea and grants stuff. the whole process has taken years off my life.

I know the feeling.
    Am going through the process right now.
    Dropped off the BTEA form today at the SW office and they said they would let me know next week.
    The whole thing is nail biting.
    Also put in my application for higher ed grant last week.

If they both don't come through there is no way I can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I have that done, been approved for the fee payment from DCC.

Thanks

How long since you applied for to DCC?

HoPpiE wrote: »
    How long since you applied for to DCC?

I sent my application in the first week of July, and it was approved the end of July :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I sent my application in the first week of July, and it was approved the end of July :)

Cool, I only sent in my application last week. Nice get get a time scale, though.

Did they make contact by phone or mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

I Just recived a letter from SW today to say I have been approved for btea ...applied in early july and called in about 3 times ..Thats here in Cork...they are going alphabetically and my surname begins with M....

It says I Have to get letter from admissions office in college b4 payment can begin...do I have to wait til registration to do this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

i've been told once i hand in my letter stating when i start my course on and my bank statement i will be approved . they gave me to 31st to get it in.

Advertisement